Aer Lingus

wcook

There's much discussion of Aer Lingus in another thread. Figured I'd start a new thread...

First, I'll give my experience... I've flown Aer Lingus several times recently, all of which has gone very well. The transatlantic planes are great, staff is always good, and pre-clearance makes landing in the US so much nicer. The only downside - if it matters to you - is that some of the planes they use on the intra-European hops are on small cattle-carish planes.

Question - I'm about to book flights for Summer 2012. Have a choice of essentially identical flights, one connecting in Dublin, the other in Shannon. All my previous connections have been in Dublin. Any preference?

Assuming you are not planning on spending some time in Ireland, I would double check the Europe -> North American routes to make sure both options have you clearing formality in Ireland. If one does and the other does not, I think the decision has been made for you. <grin>

Note: I have not flown Aer Lingus recently .. back when I did (no, it was a not pre-powered flight balloon ride) not all U.S. bound flights pre-cleared in Ireland. Perhaps that has changed.

My one and only flight on Aer Lingus was in late Oct. 2000 returning in early Nov. 2000. Flew from BWI into SNN. (Now, I really liked Shannon!!). We flew back from Dublin (to BWI) after a week-long tour of Southern Ireland.

I LOVED IT!!!! Great flights, crew, and (OMG....) hot meals!! We had a "Limerick" contest on the flight back...it was great!

Sadly, I think those days are looooooong gone....but, I'd fly Aer Lingus again.

Archived