Recs for Palamos & Port-Vendres Ports

lstewart123

I've been searching the "Ports" section of the boards, but I'm not finding much info that answers my question, so I'm hoping some fellow Seabourn cruisers have been to these ports and can help. Basically, we're trying to do both these ports (or rather, the areas near these ports) on our own, in large part because we want the free time after sightseeing to stroll around & have lunch before heading back to the port. Seabourn's excursions for both of these places take you the hour or so to the sights away from the ports, and then return you back to the ship earlier than we'd like to return. We definitely want to see Girona from Palamos, and I'm not sure what's best to see/do from Port-Vendres (Collioure?), but I can't find much info on private drivers/taxi/guide service to these places. I'm not sure we even need a guide, we just need a ride back to the ship whenever we want to go! Any experience with these places?

I've been searching the "Ports" section of the boards, but I'm not finding much info that answers my question, so I'm hoping some fellow Seabourn cruisers have been to these ports and can help. Basically, we're trying to do both these ports (or rather, the areas near these ports) on our own, in large part because we want the free time after sightseeing to stroll around & have lunch before heading back to the port. Seabourn's excursions for both of these places take you the hour or so to the sights away from the ports, and then return you back to the ship earlier than we'd like to return. We definitely want to see Girona from Palamos, and I'm not sure what's best to see/do from Port-Vendres (Collioure?), but I can't find much info on private drivers/taxi/guide service to these places. I'm not sure we even need a guide, we just need a ride back to the ship whenever we want to go! Any experience with these places?

I just finished this cruise that included these ports. I would definitely recommend going to Girona! It was beautiful and we thought that there was much to see. There is a beautiful Medieval church with great view of all Girona. There was also an interesting museum about the Jewish population that once lived there. We also went to a restaurant called Mimolet, quite delicious and had very local fare.

In Port Vendres, there was a little tourist train that many people took to Collioure and around the hilltop vineyards. We didn't choose this option, but many friends did and thought it was worth it. I took a jog around the town and thought it was a cute village. Not much to see, but I enjoyed relaxing on the ship all day and enjoying the sunshine.

good luck and have fun!!

I spent quite a bit of time on-line last summer trying to find car rental or a driver in Palamos, without any success. We ended up doing a Seabourn excursion which we enjoyed very much. If you manage to find a way to get to Girona on your own, I'd be interested in hearing about it. We had friends on our cruise who took the tourist train to Collioure and reported enjoyed it. We considered doing the Seabourn excursion to Collioure and then taking the tourist train back to that we could extend our visit, but ended up just coming back with the group.

Visited there about 7 years ago on the Windstar. We took the "tourist" train from PV, where our ship docked, to Collioure. There we wandered through the streets, popped into a wine shop and bought some of the local specialty, Bandol. Walked the ramparts along the ocean, had lunch in a nice little Catalan restaurant, then took the tourist train up into the hills to see the vineyards (it was really cold and windy there in late October.) Ended up in Port Vendres with some time, so wandered the streets again to the far end of the port where the fishermen bring in their daily catch. There is an indoor fish market there, with some food stalls to sample the fresh catch. Then walked along the path up to the far end of the harbor, nice view from on high overlooking the port and the sea.

There were also some ship excursions to nearby attractions, can't recall right away what they were: I think a monastery or an art museum or such. Your ship may offer that as well.

We actually enjoyed this port quite a bit, since it wasn't "touristy" and you were able to get up close and personal to the local rhythms. We opened one of our bottles of the local big red when we got on board and it blew us away. My husband exclaimed "Stop! Turn around! We need to go back for a few more bottles!"

Without a doubt, you must take the Little Train to Collioure. We were just there in July and it was one of our favorite ports and favorite days on our cruise. The beach is stunning. The shopping was fantastic. In fact, we would have probably bought more but this was one of our first stops on our cruise and we had no idea how reasonable and diverse it was compared to the other ports that we visited. You can also do some wine tastings in town. We bought a bottle and brought it back to drink on the ship. Here is a link to the tourist web site.

http://www.collioure.com/gb/index-gb.htm

Here is a link to Le Petit Train. http://www.petit-train-touristique.com/en/intro/collioure-and-port-vendres/guided-tour

I'm not sure what the weather will be like when you are there, but Palamos has a very nice, long, sandy beach that we enjoyed. We visited the market which was interesting. You can do some good eating in Palamos too. Tapas and paella are everywhere. If you like paella you might want to try fideua which is very similar but made with little noodles.

I'm sure you'll enjoy both places. They are each very laid back and your time there should be very relaxing and pleasant.

Do you have to make reservations for the train? We will be travelling with 8 people so I didn't know if the train gets full? Is the train station within walking distance from where the Legend docks?

/

No reservations necessary. They may even run an extra "train" just for the Legend passengers. The train stop is less than 100 yards from the gangway - you can't miss it. Most likely a rep from the local tourist office will have a table in the ship's reception area to provide suggestions and answer questions.

Archived