Port Review Thomson Dream July 2011

Treasures of the Mediterranean – Thomson Dream 2/7/11 Ports Review

Trapani, Sicily

Nice looking port and we were berthed almost on the main street.

We went on a half-day trip to Erice that involved a pleasant cable car ride up to the hilltop town. This was a very pretty walled town that was much fought over in the past. We had a tour of the town and saw spectacular views from the top. There was free time for a real Sicilian coffee in the central square.

Back to the ship for lunch, then we walked round Trapani to see the Cathedral, elegant avenues, then on to the beach, through the gardens and back on board for cocktails.

Naples, Italy

Nice backdrop to the port with islands in the foreground and the mountains behind.

We had booked the tour to Pompeii and Vesuvius, which was 7 ½ hours long. The tour guide was Vincenzo and he was the best guide of the cruise. He took us to Pompeii very early when it was almost deserted so we had superb views of the ruins. It is such a huge site that you could spend the whole day there without seeing everything. The site is occupied by several dogs that accompany groups around. Most tours hand out radios with ear buds so it is easy to hear the guide and possible to wander a little without getting lost. I think we saw about a quarter of Pompeii!

Lunch was not included but we ate in a pizzeria recommended by Vincenzo – Napoli pizza, beer and a huge orange for 13 euros. During lunch there was a torrential downpour that flooded the roads. However the sun soon dried it up and off we went to Vesuvius. The coach takes you halfway up then you have to climb a wide path to the crater – steep in places and quite energetic. The views from the top are awesome so well worth the effort. You are above the clouds looking over Naples, Ischia and Sorrento and Capri – beautiful. The crater was interesting – looked like you could walk down into it apart from the steam coming out the rocks!

Vincenzo initiated a singsong on the way back.

We were glad we took this trip and if we return would probably visit Herculaneum.

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

We took the Thomson tour to Rome with Marianne as our guide. This was a 10 hour trip as Rome is about 1 ½ hours away from the port. There was a lot of walking and it was fast moving.

The guide was very knowledgeable but it was difficult to hear sometimes and she rushed off from places leaving people behind. I lost the group at Vatican City but found them again after about 15 minutes. We found 2 women and a child who had lost their group but Marianne called their guide and it was fine.

Rome was interesting but the part I enjoyed most was the hour alone at lunchtime when we went to find the Spanish Steps. We had lunch in the Theatre Café.

It would have been difficult to see everything on our own but now we have been we would be able to visit things at our pace.

Rome is the busiest place I have ever been to and I was nervous because of all the warnings about gypsies and pickpockets. Once I realised it was not as bad as suggested I did relax a bit.

It was amazing all the party returned intact!

Ajaccio, Corsica

Another day, another tour! We went on the Taste of Corsica tour. It was a ½ day tour and fairly relaxing. The tour guide was very funny. We saw a demonstration and tasting of nougat in a family owned factory – delicious if you like nougat, essential oils factory – bit of a waste and had to wait ages while people bought some. The smell of the herbs in the mountains was wonderful though and there were beautiful views of the forested slopes. Finally we went to a family owned winery to sample the wines – very good and not exported so bought some to take home.

After lunch on-board, we had a walk round Ajaccio to see the Napoleon statues. The town is quite nice with good shopping streets. The shops were all open and a mixture of tourist shops and boutiques.

Barcelona

We were meant to go to Palamos but the Mistral was blowing and it was too dangerous? Instead the Captain had managed to obtain a berth in Barcelona. This was a definite plus for us as it meant we went to Barcelona twice and could see more than planned.

Since we had visited before we decided to walk up La Rambla and take an open topped bus tour. We stopped at Nou Camp for a tour that was interesting even if you are not a football fan. We stopped for lunch here in the café. Saw the newest trophy and sat in the press box. Taking an early bath is something else here as the bath is a luxurious marble Jacuzzi! I had not realised that there are several sporting activities her and not just football.

And so on to the Sagrida Familia – an amazing cathedral with something different everywhere you look.

Then we had a mad dash down to the port bus and back to the ship.

The second time in Barcelona we went to Montjuic and saw the Olympic Village. We took the cable car to the castle at the top and viewed the ship in the harbour. Cable car down again and sat in Placa Real at the fountain for baguettes and juice. Then a stroll down La Rambla for last minute shopping before heading on-board for cocktails.

Rapallo, Italy

Port was changed from Genoa to Rapallo and what a bonus! Tenders were used to go ashore – very exciting coming in towards port and the Dream looks huge from the water!

This is a beautiful port with a promenade and beach area. There are lots of nice buildings and streets to explore with lots of shops. The ambience is of a busy working town – quite upmarket with lots of sophisticated grandmothers walking their grandchildren in pushchairs accompanied by their designer pooches.

The Basilica is lovely inside but not touristy and there were people praying and taking mass so not suitable to take photos.

We sat outside a wine bar for a beer and were impressed with the platter of canapés they brought us – delicious but alas not a gift! Be warned – the toilet here is a hole in the floor!!

Shops here are good for unusual gifts.

Livorno, (Florence) Italy

We went on the Florence/Pisa trip – another 10 hour affair. The guide was excellent and I loved Florence. It was hot and busy (not as bad as Rome) but the buildings and statues were amazing. The shops are in these wonderful buildings – H&M in Edinburgh will never be the same again. Florence is definitely in the diary for a city break!

We had proper spaghetti carbonara and lasagne in a café in a square – delicious! Followed by the famous icecream from Tivolis.

Pisa was interesting but we had no time to climb up the tower or see round the Baptistery or cathedral. We did the usual photo – trying to hold up the tower – fairly unsuccessfully! The part from the coach park to the city is rather tacky with street traders everywhere.

Calvi, Corsica

Calvi is the second tender port and again a lovely trip in to the harbour. The town is very pretty and upmarket with a marina, fancy yachts, posh bars and nightclubs. Lots of nice shopping here and food to try out. We had a beer in a waterfront nightclub watching a small boy catch crabs with his net.

The town is dominated by a citadel, which is a bit of a climb to get to but marvellous views of the town and great pictures of the ship can be taken. The citadel is a bit run down though. Bizarrely we saw an exhibition about the French army preparing for conflict on the way round the citadel!

Sete, France

We arrived in France on Bastille Day however the shops were open. Sete has a lot of canals and a drawbridge.

We walked up to the viewpoint at the top of Mont Saint-Clair where you could see a panoramic view of the Thau lagoon. This was a very steep climb but determination won!

We then returned to the town centre and ambled through Place Aristide Briand and viewed the car boot sale.

There was not much to Sete – it is more a working fishing town and we might have been better going on the trip to Montpelier. However we did spend the afternoon sunbathing and relaxing on the deck.

:)

Excellent review Kiki cat - brings back great memories! ;)

We didn't get to Sete the week before your trip and went to Toulon instead. Having been before, we decided to do the Thomson trip to St Tropez (enjoyed it but not at all what I'd expected) and Port Grimaud (rather more interesting than St Tropez imo).

I'd researched Sete before going and had the train times to get to Montpellier - it seems as though it would be very easy to do. Station not far from dock, fairly frequent train service and not far away - so a realistic DiY job I reckon. Having done my homework for Montpellier our friends told us that Carcassonne is one of the nicest places they've ever been to so we ditched our Montpellier plans and booked the Thomson trip to Carcassonne instead. All to no avail in the end as we didn't go! But perhaps these two options might be worth considering for other travellers given that you didn't find Sete too inspiring.

Thanks again for the review - I enjoyed reading it. :)

Archived