Capri On Own?

terry the traveler

Sorry to hijack an older thread but this is relevant, and I'm hoping Capricruiser is still reading!

You're the expert and I'd be so grateful if you can offer any clarifications. I'll be porting in Salerno. I've found conflicting reports on when the Hydrofoils/Ferries come from there - perhaps times have changed? Regardless, the two I've seen mentioned seem to leave too early for us to take them as we do not get there until 9am. I know our cruise is offering excursions to Capri, so I'd think SURELY there are options from that port without spending the larger amount to be part of a herd.

Any insight Capricruiser?

You need to be careful in that there are only 2 hydrofoils from Salerno to Capri (8:15 and 11:05) in the morning. For cruise passengers you would need to make the 8:15. But the real problem is that the return hydrofoil is not until 5:15 and it is the only one. So unless a ship leaves Sorrento at 7pm (or later) going to Capri might be a real problem.

Hank

I prefer and usually do get private tours but this was our concern after reading many post here on cc. I also read that they sometimes cancel the hydrofoil if the seas are rough. In that case, the ship won't wait for you but will wait for their own tours. I read that people have been in line for several hours to get back on the hydrofoil because everybody is trying to get back. So you have to allow for that when returning to the ship. Capri is breathtaking.

I also read that they sometimes cancel the hydrofoil if the seas are rough.

I read that people have been in line for several hours to get back on the hydrofoil because everybody is trying to get back.

While it does happen that boats stop running, it's extremely rare. Of course DIY travelers need to consider all possibilities and have back up plans, but you also need to factor in the likelihood of each possibility. Also, remember that ships tours out to Capri also travel by the same ferries as DIY travelers use, so in the rare event of cancellation they wouldn't get back either.

You can avoid long lines by purchasing your return ticket upon arrival, rather than waiting until the end of the day. Lines can be long, but I think "hours" is quite an exaggeration (although it can certainly feel like hours when you are standing in a line on a sunny, hot day).

We are on Regent which includes tours. We signed up for Capri the lighter side which provides hydrofoil transfers and some amount of touring. I am assuming they will give us the hydrofoil tickets together so my question is can we go back on our own without waiting for the cruise group if we choose to do so. We are not big tour people and might end up wandering around on our own.

Archived