Radisson Alaska Excursion Questions

DoctorTom

I am taking my first Radisson cruise, and my first Alaska cruise, on the Mariner on June 1st. Taking my parents and partner for a delayed Christmas present. It is my parents' first cruise, so I am trying to get everything lined up and as "perfect" as possible. I've been looking at Radisson's shore excursions, and have a question about the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer. Does anyone who has done the northbound cruise know what time this excursion leaves the ship, and what time they get you into Juneau? I am trying to figure out if we can do this in the morning, and do a whale watch with Captain Larry of Orca Enterprises at 3 in the afternoon.

Any info would be appreciated. I've been reading the board here for several months, getting lots of good ideas, and getting psyched up about our cruise. I'd love to here from anyone who will be on board with us.

Tom

I don't know what time they leave the ship but I've been told that it will arrive in Juneau at the same time as the ship, so plan your schedule from there. I am on a different cruise but arriving in Juneau at 1 PM and I have a 3 PM excursion for helicopter glacier trecking.

It should say on the rssc website what times you'll be in port. I'm booked on the southbound cruise in August, and we get in at 1 pm, and I'm doing the 3 pm whale watching with Capt. Larry. If you call their office (which you should probably do soon), they know when all the ships are in port and can tell you which trips you'll be able to do.

We were going southbound, so I can't speak to the timing, but the Tracy Arm excursion, up close and friendly with the Sawyer Glacier, was the highlight of our two weeks, including the side trip to Denali. Don't miss it. We saw bears, seals, and whales from that boat, in addition to the Sawyer Glacier - and Radisson provided food, in case we were hungry! We made it to Anchorage at the same time as the Mariner, watched her docking.

David

Doctor Tom, I wondered the same thing so my TA contacted Radisson who sent a detailed description of the excursion. For my trip in June, we begin at 8am and return to Juneau at 1pm, docking next to the Mariner (so it sounds like the Mariner should already be there). They added the usual rider that this is subject to change and I am not sure it is the same for each trip but I assume it would be. Sue

The AK trip was great. Went on the Mariner. Tracy Arm was one of the two highlights. The tenders were lowered and we moved about the glaciers and the seals and otters to see the glaciers calve. It was awesome. My husband and I took my Mother, in her late 60's. We had side by side balconies. Everytime we saw something great we knocked on the wall and hurried onto the balcony. We spent a great deal of time out there, as there was so much to see. My Mother, the apparent thrill seeker of the group, convinced us to do the helicopter tour from Skagway. Although I am scared of heights and flying, it was one of the most memorable experiences ever to land on a glacier, see crystal blue pools, and land on a ledge high on a mountain top. If your cruise does Valdez, and if you are not an experienced kayaker, dont do the kayak tour. On our "serene" kayak trip, we encountered the wakes of the oil tankers. I felt happy to be living after that. You will have a great trip! It is wonderful to share something beautiful with the one's you love.

Archived