Experience with RCCL's Nurseries for an almost 3 year old?

YOWmom

We are considering a cruise the first week of January with our two girls (ages 7 and 2), about 6 weeks before our youngest turns 3. We are looking at Liberty or Freedom because they have the nurseries for under 3s, splash zone, etc. (or possibly one of the Carnival ships). However, I'm a bit worried the nursery might be more geared to babies, and our youngest might not enjoy it. Has anyone had any experience on these ships (or Oasis/Allure) with kids that age and are there activities that she would enjoy? DD is in daycare full-time, just moved up to the preschool room, is pretty independent and likes to think of herself as a "big kid"... She did fine in Disney's Flounders last year, just as she turned 2, but am wondering if this time, she might be happier in the 2 to 5 age group at Camp Carnival (which is closer to her daycare cohort) instead of the Royal nursery? That said, she won't be spending a huge amount of time there anyway, but the option of a quiet meal or a couple of hours at the adult pool here and there would be nice...

Not familiar with that situation, but I do remember my daughter's reaction to being in the post-10pm kidsitting one night when she was 8. She was a big ticked off as she was the oldest one there. Didn't do that the rest of that cruise. I didn't waver on allowing her to sign herself out -- didn't want her being able to do that, even though the older kids in the 8 to 12 group were able to.

Carnival does start their program at 2 years. My daughter's first cruise was on Carnival, but she was a few weeks too young....and they don't loosen their age requirements, which makes sense to me for many reasons.

We are considering a cruise the first week of January with our two girls (ages 7 and 2), about 6 weeks before our youngest turns 3. We are looking at Liberty or Freedom because they have the nurseries for under 3s, splash zone, etc. (or possibly one of the Carnival ships). However, I'm a bit worried the nursery might be more geared to babies, and our youngest might not enjoy it. Has anyone had any experience on these ships (or Oasis/Allure) with kids that age and are there activities that she would enjoy? DD is in daycare full-time, just moved up to the preschool room, is pretty independent and likes to think of herself as a "big kid"... She did fine in Disney's Flounders last year, just as she turned 2, but am wondering if this time, she might be happier in the 2 to 5 age group at Camp Carnival (which is closer to her daycare cohort) instead of the Royal nursery? That said, she won't be spending a huge amount of time there anyway, but the option of a quiet meal or a couple of hours at the adult pool here and there would be nice...

Your fears are correct the nursery is geared more to the under 2. It will be fine if you use it occasionally and for no more than two hours at a time for your almost 3 year old. The main complaint I have is the teeny under 2 cry and cry and cry and it is upsetting to the older toddlers. I can't remember the last time I have gone into the nursery and not seen a chorus of little ones crying. I have suggested in the past for them to make a two way mirror with the check in desk on the outside because as soon as someone comes to the door to pick up their little one, that is when the chaos starts as I believe the other children are looking for their parents thinking why are they not being picked up. And don't get me started on the cheezy camp carnival.....

Archived