Excursions to Lamanai from Belize City port? Better than Xunantunich ruins?

mikeerdas

I'll be on the Carnival Dream in early October. I don't see any excursions listed to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Was planning to visit Xunantunich. Carnival offers that as an excursion. People say it's the most impressive of the ruins in Belize and you can climb to the top but:

1) It's a 7 hour excursion. Long day, being first off the ship and last on.

2) Evidently much of the trip is a bus ride on highways without much scenery.

Of Lamanai I've heard:

1) You *can* climb to the top of the main temple.

2) Getting there is half the fun (jungle / river ride)

3) It's a lot less than a 7 hour excursion (anyone know how long is typical)?

4) Lot less crowded than other Mayan sites (big plus for me--hate crowds / typical herd type excursions)

A few questions:

* Why might Carnival not offer excursions to Lamanai? Does the site restrict the # of tour groups that can visit or the # of tourists per group? Greater physical exertion than at other Mayan sites (fine since my wife and I are not elderly)

* Can anyone recommend any reliable and reasonably priced private tour companies offering Lamanai excursions?

* For anyone who's been to both Lamanai and Xunantunich, which do you like better and why? More than once, people who've been to Xunantunich seem to have liked it so much that they already have, or have plans to, visited the site more than once (vs., say, Altun Ha--the other ruins excursion Carnival offers). Would anyone here who's been to Lamanai visit it again?

I'm sure Xunantunich would be a great trip. But I'm intrigued about Lamanai and why it's not on Carnival's excursion list.

I've wondered the same thing because other lines offer it. I've been to Xunantunich and DH and I may do it again if we don't feel comfortable enough to go with a private tour. The trip there was exciting and you see a lot of the 'countryside' and how people really live outside of the city. Then once you get to the ruins - that's fantastic! Now - on the way back you stop for a GREAT local lunch....and the rest of the way? Couldn't tell ya. Fell asleep along with most of the rest of the bus ;)

I've wondered the same thing because other lines offer it. I've been to Xunantunich and DH and I may do it again if we don't feel comfortable enough to go with a private tour. The trip there was exciting and you see a lot of the 'countryside' and how people really live outside of the city. Then once you get to the ruins - that's fantastic! Now - on the way back you stop for a GREAT local lunch....and the rest of the way? Couldn't tell ya. Fell asleep along with most of the rest of the bus ;)

Thanks Vermonter. :-) I'm signed-up for the Xunantunich excursion. So if it sold out I'd be covered.

yes, lamanai is limited. the dock, at lamanai, are just wooden planks. it's not very tourist friendly, but a very interesting and a great day. they don't have food vendors, enough restrooms or security for more tours.

we had 2 boats, one from NCL and one other ship and (Maybe) 2 private groups of 4 or less. once we started the tour, we didn't see any other groups. it's very quiet, you can hear the howler monkeys and birds.

from what i read, they are trying to keep it from become a big attraction, especially since it's still in developement. most is still covered by the jungle.

Lamanai is well worth seeing as is the river trip there and back...the main temple is 112' tall....a good climb up and a more interesting one down (it seems steeper on the trip down)...you can definitely hear the Howler monkeys and if you're lucky you will be able to see them as well

I've been to both and both are wonderful, but different experiences.

Lamani is a wonderful adventure but it's even farther to Lamani than to X. First there is a 45 min bus ride to catch a riverboat. And another 75 min boat ride out to the ruins. Then you have to get back as well. Now the riverboat ride is wonderful as you will see all kinds of birds and possibly monkeys and crocs. The guides are well versed in the area and are experts at spotting wildlife. Just remember that's a lot of time out in the humidity of Belize on the water. The boat will have cover, but it's still the sultry tropics. The ruins are amazing to behold and you can climb them. One is the highest point in Belize and an amazing view. We saw several Howler monkeys up in the canopy. The down side is that the dock is small so limited to smaller groups. This would be why not many cruise ships visit. There is no food but there are clean restrooms and some vendors. The private tour I booked included a picnic lunch once we got there prepared by a local. It was the best chicken and rice I'd ever had!! The ruins are largely still in their natural form and engulfed in the jungle and it's foliage.

X is well excavated and manicured. It's totally set up for the cruise ships with food, vendors and lots of parking. It's also reachable by land without having to take the watercraft. It's a great option if you aren't wanting to spend the entire day outside. In this case you are in a comfortable bus, then walk the ruins, then back to the bus. The guides on site are informative and interesting, and they aren't shy to ask for tips. You will enjoy this excursion a lot as it's very well organized and laid out.

I liked them both, but I prefer a more natural experience to the more orchestrated one...despite the long trek out to Lamani via bus and then boat.

I booked thru the Wet Lizard right there at the pier. They have their own website of the same name. Ask for Darwin. You just get off the boat via tender and turn left. Walk down the dock and The Wet Lizard is right there within the Pier Village confines.

Archived