Barcelona renaissance airport thoughts

DD99

Has anyone stayed here? We have a long flight to Barcelona and am thinking by the time we get there we will be so tired and will just want to relax a bit then go out for dinner. We have 2 nights after the cruise to explore Barcelona.

I have reward points to stay there for free, and the other two couples can get the room for 130eu a night.

I called Marriott and they appear to offer a free shuttle to the hotel then a shuttle to las rumbas for 7eu and one for the cruise port for 10th.

Just nervous about staying away from the tourist areas and one review talked about how the shuttle ends up being more expensive than cabs.

Thoughts?

We stayed there in June for a night after the cruise since we had an early morning flight out the next day.

I used Marriott points for the reservation, so it turned out to be a good deal.

The hotel is definitely in the outskirts and there are no restaurants in walking distance. The hotel does have a restaurant and the food was just ok, although a bit overpriced and understaffed.

The shuttle from the port to the hotel is 10 euro per person. We took that shuttle from the port to the hotel, checked in and dropped off our bags. Then we took the hotel's free shuttle back to the city center (near the Columbus statue) and spent another day touring the city. If I recall correctly, there were two free shuttles in the morning and two in the afternoon (around 5 pm)... you have to pre-reserve with the concierge and get tickets to give to the bus driver. Shuttles in the middle of the day or early evening were not free.

You may want to email the concierge and confirm their shuttle schedule and pricing.

There was also a free shuttle to the airport the next morning. There was a large crowd with early flights and not very much bus space, so be prepared to leave a little on the early side to be sure you get to the airport in time.

We'd stay there again if we had an early flight to catch. We had 4 nights pre-cruise and stayed at the Novotel Barcelona City. Not the most central location, but really close to the metro and had decent pricing plus room for a family of three.

I personally can't speak for the hotel but we have several from our Oct 29th TA staying there. This will be our first trip to Barcelona and we 95 of our Roll Call staying at the Hotel Barcelona Universal, a 15 min walk to the Las Ramblas area. We chose to stay there because it is a lovely modern Hotel and closer to the cruise terminal. However there is no shuttle service.http://www.hotelbarcelonauniversal.com/

We have stayed at this hotel twice. It is really very nice and perfect for early morning flights and late arrivals into BCN. They offer a shuttle back and forth to the airport except during the over night hours. The front desk is extremely efficient, very helpful and speak english. The rooms are extremely clean, lovely showers and plush towels. Rooms are on the small size but actually quite roomy for European standards.

As for a hotel for touring, my suggestion like the others that have posted is to stay in town. There is really nothing to eat or do at this location. The shuttle into town is very restrictive.

Go to TripAdvisor and you will find many wonderful options. Barcelona is fantastic and you should avail yourself to enjoying your vacation as soon as you arrive. Just hop into a cab and have it take you to your hotel. Cabs are plentiful at BCN and we easily found one that held all four of us with 4 large suitcases and 4 carryons. We were at our hotel just off of La Ramblas within 20 minutes.

Have a wonderful time.

Archived