Tampa Hotel Choice? Pre-Cruise day at Busch Gardens

mousecrazy

I'm planning a pre-cruise day at Busch Gardens with my group of 11. I'm trying to figure out if we should rent a car(s) or rely on hotel shuttles and/or taxis. And what area of Tampa would be the best fit for our two night hotel stay prior to the cruise. Any hotel and/or transportation options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Our group of six stayed at the TownePlace Suites at Westshore. They have a shuttle from the Airport as well as a pay per person shuttle to the port. Managed to snag one of the rooms that had 4 queen beds (2 bedrooms) along with a kitchenette, and living room that allowed 2 more to sleep. Only one bathroom but we made it work with the six of us. Price was great and they staff was very helpful. You can even walk to the IHOP if mobility isn't an issue.

Snow bunny

We are staying at the Downtown Marriott. We always stay Marriott because of the quality and reasonable rates. They have a good shuttle service too. We told them we are going to be going on a cruise and they said they would valet the car and shuttle us to and from the port. Score! At $180 a night...its a steal. I hate spending money to park at port! I would skip the car and let them drive you. Its included.

I'm planning a pre-cruise day at Busch Gardens with my group of 11. I'm trying to figure out if we should rent a car(s) or rely on hotel shuttles and/or taxis. And what area of Tampa would be the best fit for our two night hotel stay prior to the cruise. Any hotel and/or transportation options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

If it were me, this would be my game plan. I would rent a car at the airport from either National or Hertz and then stay at the Holiday Inn Suites Busch Gardens/USF. Busch Gardens is pretty far from the airport and port areas so you will not be able to find a hotel that offers shuttle service. Also, some of the hotels near BG that are located on Busch Blvd are kind of seedy. This HI is around the corner from BG near USF. The hotel is super clean, in a good area, has a great pool area and restaurant on site and it within walking distance to BG. They also offer a shuttle if you don't care to walk. The rooms are all suites which make it nice too. The best part is you can book a room and ticket package and save a good chunck of money. Here is a link to the hotel. http://www.histampa.com/

As far as the rental car, if you rent with National, you will take the car back to TIA and they have a free port shuttle. If you rent from Hertz, there is a rental location at the Tampa Marriott Waterside which is only 2 blocks from the port. They are 2 long blocks so you may want to take a taxi or have Hertz drop you off.

IMO, this would be the best way to do it. A taxi or shuttle to the BG area would just be too much $. Also, research your hotel if you do not decide on the HI, The hotels closer to USF will be a better bet than those on Busch Blvd. I would also stay close to BG since you are doing this park. If you do not you will be in for a traffic nightmare. This is a busy and congested area and after a day in the park this is the last thing that you will need.

Have a great time. :)

Thanks for all the good info. Especially the part about National providing a shuttle to the port. They have a 15 person van for $95+tax per day. And the Holiday Inn looks good although expensive for our dates ($190 per night for two queens).Same goes for the Townplace Suites...but good to know for comparison.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for all the good info. Especially the part about National providing a shuttle to the port. They have a 15 person van for $95+tax per day. And the Holiday Inn looks good although expensive for our dates ($190 per night for two queens).Same goes for the Townplace Suites...but good to know for comparison.

Thanks!!!

Those are expensive prices. Try and google - hotels near USF - you will be ok with this area. Just check out TripAdvisor and read the reviews. USF is just around the corner from BG so it is in the same general area but much better than the Busch Blvd. area.

Good luck to you. :)

Archived