Sold-Out Excursions

sdeegster

Does anyone have experience getting into a cruise line sponsored excursion after it was advertised as sold out? A Mayan ruins excursion I had my heart set on in Belize sold out several weeks before the cruise departure, and it's been nearly impossible to find a trustworthy private company running it that day. I'm hoping there's still a chance of getting into the cruise line's excursion due to cancellations or more spots opening up. Any feedback?

You can always try to book the excursion as soon as you board the ship; many lines hold back some places for each excursion for onboard booking. What line are you on? As an aside, since you had your heart set on this particular excursion, was there a reason you did not book it earlier?

Do get on the waitlist asap once on board. Cruise lines can often hire another bus if there is enough interest. They make more on the excursions than the cruise I think so they try to sell as many as possible. There also may be some cancellations.

You can always try to book the excursion as soon as you board the ship; many lines hold back some places for each excursion for onboard booking. What line are you on? As an aside, since you had your heart set on this particular excursion, was there a reason you did not book it earlier?

We're on Carnival. I didn't book the excursion right away because I was still debating exactly which set of ruins to visit (there are several) and was told the cruise line excursions never really sell out online but just might sell out once you're onboard. I also thought it was highly likely I'd book with a private company until I did more research about the lack of good companies in Belize for this particular set of ruins. I also got feedback on running the risk of missing the boat if I went with a private company because the time is tight in Belize and the cruise line guaranteees the boat will wait for you. By the time I figured all of this out the excursion had sold out through the cruise line (which I didn't think there was a real risk of happening!) If I had known the cruise line excursions were fully refundable up to a few days before the cruise departure and that they really do sell out, I would have booked it weeks ago just in case. Oh well - You live, you learn!

Does anyone have experience getting into a cruise line sponsored excursion after it was advertised as sold out? A Mayan ruins excursion I had my heart set on in Belize sold out several weeks before the cruise departure, and it's been nearly impossible to find a trustworthy private company running it that day. I'm hoping there's still a chance of getting into the cruise line's excursion due to cancellations or more spots opening up. Any feedback?
First, I'll admit that I'm an absolute ship-excursion hater. So keep that in mind as I say that I wouldn't want to get into a sold-out excursion. The main thing I dislike about the ship's excursions is that the groups are too large, and you feel like you're being herded along like a herd of cows. If you manage to squeeze into a sold-out excursion, it's going to be even worse than a typical ship's excursion.

I'd keep trying to find that elusive trustworthy private company.

Failing that, I'd pick something else altogether.

Archived