land tours Hawaii

halavah

Hilo - Volcanoes National Park

Kaua'i - Fern Grotto

Oahu - Pearl Harbor (if you've not seen it before), Pali Point and Waikiki

Maui - Maui Ocean Center and/or Kaanapali

I've used ship tours in Hilo and Kaua'i - there are probably less expensive tours you can do or go on your own, but I figure it's not worth the hassle to try to arrange them and the Princess tours are good quality, especially the Volanoes National Park.

In Oahu, if you're doing Pearl Harbor, you might as well go with the ship - the wait for the tour if you're independent can be quite a bit longer than if you're with a tour. It's a $20 taxi ride from the ship to Waikiki, but you can also shuttle down for much less (free if you use Hilo Hattie's shuttle and connect at the Hilo Hattie store). Problem is getting shuttles from Waikiki back to the ship - sometimes hard to come by.

In Maui if you want to go to Kaanapali, there's a free shuttle from Lahina to Whaler's Village which is a shopping area on the edge of the beach. You can easily spend a day in Kaanapali - there are hotels, restaurants and beautiful beach areas. If you go to Maui Ocean Center, you have to either take a tour or rent a car. Renting a car means waiting in Lahina for the agency to pick you up and take you to the car, so if you're going to do that, plan more than just the Ocean Center to get your time and money's worth.

Enjoy Hawaii - it's a beautiful place.

Much depends on age, interest, sense of adventure and how you like to sight see.

For me Hawaii by ship, land or whatever, DIY with a car and a map and some research.

Yes some things should be excursion private: helicopter, fishing, boating, ride down a volcano etc. Things like beaches, hikes and stops DIY car.

1st time Hawaii.Recommended land tours and if by ship or private or on own?? best way??

You didn't mention which cruise line that you are sailing.

If you are sailing NCL, then I would go with Roberts Hawaii. (http://www.gorabbitgo.com). We used Roberts last year when on the Pride of America and found that they did basically the same tours as NCL offered, but for half the price. Roberts also guarantees that you will not miss the ship. (which many tour operators will not guarantee)

Because we had overnights in Maui and Kauai, we did rental cars on the first days since we didn't have to be back by a certain time. (could come and go all night if you wanted.) Then the second day on each island, we did Roberts tours.

If you are on NCL and doing a pre or post stay in Honolulu, then I would suggest contacting a local Honolulu tour company (or Roberts) for the Pearl Harbor Tour. The key to Pearl Harbor is to arrive there early (by 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. if not on a tour group.).

Roberts also offers a good price for shuttle service from the airport to the ship, the ship to Waikiki (or Waikiki to the ship) and from Waikiki to the airport. Much cheaper than going through the cruiselines or a taxi.

I agree with Bdjam about Volcanoes National Park on Hilo and Maui Ocean Center on Maui. I didn't like Fern Grotto. I would pick Waimaiea Canyon on Kauai. I also reccommend Lahania on Maui.

On Oahu: Pearl Harbor is a must if you have never been there. (very moving). Other places include Waikiki, Dole Plantation, Polynesian Cultural Center (if you have a few days), North Shore.

on Oahu theres the Trolley. There are 3 lines. for $30 hyou have Waikiki/Ala Moana shopping shuttle, Historic Honolulu (Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, etc) and Diamond Head. Each line has extended stops and you get on/off as you want. You can order tickets online or pick them up in Oahu. Rhe trolley starts about 8:30 and stops around 5:30 pm/7:45pm on the pink line. Nice way to get around and see everything, You can get a 1 day pass or more. check out Waikikitrolley.com

Archived