Any shopping or sights to see in easy walking distance of cruise ships?

HRHMadonna

Several in our party have some mobility difficulty (ie. use canes and walkers). Also, they are not interested in beaches and snorkeling, so I am looking for info & suggestions on what they might do in Barbados. Is there any shopping in the port area that is easily accesible? Any sights in easy walking distance? Or any recommendations for local tour gudes? Thanks!

Several in our party have some mobility difficulty (ie. use canes and walkers). Also, they are not interested in beaches and snorkeling, so I am looking for info & suggestions on what they might do in Barbados. Is there any shopping in the port area that is easily accesible? Any sights in easy walking distance? Or any recommendations for local tour gudes? Thanks!

There is pierside shopping right at port--a controlled cruise terminal building. I found it most pleasant to go early when crowds were low, and the a/c was still keeping building cool. By afternoon- from all the people in and out it got quite warm.

Photo from ship--it is at bow of ship--a walk from gangway, pretty much the length of ship but pretty much shaded and all one level. It had a nice little selection of items, from small to expensive. I noted there should be a store inside called Cave Shepard that carries Agapey chocolate bars-supposed to be made three blocks away from 3 ingredients only-the purest chocolate found. http://www.agapey.com/ to me a unique item being only found in Barbados.

2297451290103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

2496054300103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

2723684890103372150S425x425Q85.jpg

Inside the terminal: 2370681570103372150S500x500Q85.jpg

We walked through the port terminal that Buffettfan pictured and hired a cab driver who took us on a great tour of the island for $70. It was about 4 hours and featured stops at some nice old churches and a stop at Bathsheba on the Atlantic side for some stunning rock formations. I would suggest doing something like that. Downtown really doesn't have much to see, some shopping, but its spread out.

Thanks! You have both been a big help to us! The mall photos were great and an island tour via a car that they can easily get in and out of sounds like a great way for these ladies to spend the day.

Your welcome..always like sharing. Just a warning about our experience with one of the two taxi drivers we used. Keep in mind this was not for a tour, but a ride to downtown historic area and shopping, then caught another taxi back. So a tour may be much easier to arrange- be specific on air conditioning though.

Things learned from our taxi ride-

1.)Get firm price--for whole group -total and ask is that in $US money? (make sure he does not quote in Barbados dollars which used to be 2:1)

2.)Will you use airconditioning for that rate? Especially for elderly!

We ahve sailed over 10 cruises and never had a "dishonest" taxi driver before. So just want to make sure noone else has our experience.

Here was our scenario:PM- of day in Barbados-

We know headed back to ship. Ate some light lunch, and since it was so hot decided to catch a taxi and check out downtown Barbados.

It was now about 1:00pm. We again walked through ship terminal to taxi stand out back. There were plenty of long extended type taxis or "shuttles" and some standard cars lined up. The shelter of shade only had a few people. One single lady was waiting and happy to hear we were going downtown. She was told "had to have at least 4- before go downtown" for $12 ($3 each) so after 2-3 minutes getting irritated stated we were no longer waiting, as noone in sight. OK--taxi was motioned up. It would be $12 or $4 per person -. Be clear on taxi rate before you get one. They do not believe in using a/c here it appears. Just a short ride to downtown, but on a day like today too hot to think of walking there.

Return trip from downtown:By now we considered taking a taxi offer from one of the domino players,near the marina but decided we'd explore a bit more. We walked back across bridge, this time hugging the shore. At first it seemed do-able to walk back-breezy and all then the sun hit and changed routes back to department store area. We came upon a large extended van knowing it was a taxi and said $4 take us back- deal, we hopped in, and it was airconditioned. Then a moment later a knock on window--get out he will take you back. There was a small car with two other passengers already inside car.(Never would have gotten in if it was empty) it did have some signage or old dead meter inside though. My DH got in front, and I joined other couple in the back. We started moving and I started to put window up thinking air would be on. No go...driver says costs too much to turn on, enjoy the breeze. Huh? what breeze? cannot argue here-- So it was so hot, and DH was sitting roasting in front seat in full sun. Thankfully a short ride. We get out and driver comes over to us and says $10--what! First driver said $4--oh no he is shuttle I am car. $10. Not wanting to get into an altercation, or like passengers in Aruba grudglingly paid him only the $10. DH thought he heard other couple pay $6 or 8. We are smarter than that mad.gif. Ask driver the fare in clear answer--like per person?? Total etc. They got us on that one. So be warned. Should have taken the Domino drivers offer and not just assumed when we got in second taxi.

In Barbados the official language is English, but Bajan (a local English-derived dialect, and largely difficult to understand) is often heard -I bet that what they used when the taxi switch went on!

Wish I had gotten license or car # -would have told gate people for what it is worth. So be careful.

So there is Barbados for us.

For those that wish here is link to our lengthy review:

Page 5 post #96 is start of Barbados review:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236801&page=5

Here is review of our full Victory cruise posted on CC boards:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1236801

It is unfortunate that this poster above had this unpleasant experience in Barbados. These kinds of things can really spoil your memories of a place.

I have just come back from a cruise last week and absolutely loved Barbados. We got off the ship and stopped at the Tourist Information booth right in that terminal building shown above. There were three of us and we arranged an island tour with an extremely knowledgeable and very nice lady named Angela. She drove us all over the island, both with and without airconditioning (depending on our desires) and showed us lovely things. She has a small car so it may not suit for your party but you can discuss your needs with the very nice lady in the Tourist Information area. These people need to be licensed to be tour guides so hopefully you will have the great experience that we did. Oh, and the cost for three people from 9 - 3 approximately was $120. I hope you enjoy Barbados as much as we did!

Wow! Buffettfan and wd2cr...What great info & suggestions...Thanks for taking the time to share & post. How does anyone ever cruise without help from the folks on Cruise Critic??? :D

Cheers!

Madonna

While those who aren't member may enjoy their cruise, they likely are overpacked/taking excursions that are packed,missing the true island sights,miss things on the ship and well...likely spend more than they have to

I love all the CC helpful people and hints and they are so fast to respond

I stick with guided tours in places I am not familiar. When you have a reputable tour guide things like a/c can be understood in advance. They know their income is dependent on reviews in places like CC and will usually go the extra mile to make you happy.

If you do not want a tour and only want to go to a beach or shopping area make sure ALL things like a/c, total price and pick up for return to the ship are clearly understood before you get into the car or van. I will even arrange a cab or other transport in advance with someone reputable (Trip Adviser is another good resource for reputable companies)

In the case of the OP, I would even recommend a ship sponsored tour that is geared for those with limited mobility. Before I get slammed on this one, let me say that I do prefer independent tours myself, but with a group of elderly people with mobility challenges the ship sponsored tours have a contract with the cruise line to deliver a product as advertised. If not, they could lose their contract. These are many times shorter tours lasting 3 or 4 hours which give you a taste of the island without being over tiring..

Archived