Shore excursions with a wheelchair

oldfella73

Enjoyed MS Ryndam cruise to the Fjords last August, caught the bug and booked on the Celebrity Eclipse 15th September 2012. Ports of call are Malaga - Villefranche - Civitavecchia - Livorno - Genoa - Gibraltar - & Lisbon.

My wife can only walk short distances so a wheelchair is required for all shore expeditions. Being a newby I did not do enough investigation into shore excursions on the Ryndam particularly as my wife cannot manage the steps on a standard coach.

For next time I am actively investigating the options and note Celebrity offer “Easy Tours”. Although these easy tours provide wheelchair access transport the tour content is not so comprehensive as standard tours and also, in some ways we would prefer half day only tours. Does anyone have any experience of these “Easy Tours“ in the ports above?

Alternatively there are private taxi or chauffer driven tours but these are more expensive albeit tailored to our needs. So my other question is which of our ports of call can be explored without an organised tour. By which I mean either limited walking from the ship to points of interest or ease of getting wheelchair friendly transport into town and back to the ship. Experience of other wheelchair users appreciated.

Peter Gillett

Archived