Carnival Splendor or Spirit?

Tggrtoes

Hi - does anyone have any preferences/experiences with the Splendor vs. Spirit? I've heard TONS of good things about the spirit, but I don't think they were necessarily family-focused.

If it matters, we'd do a JS or OS category and are looking for Jan-March 2012. Our son will be 4 and will definitely want to hang at Camp for some of the time. We've done the Mex Riv itinerary before and it's not our favorite (we prefer the Caribbean/Bahamas), but given we live within driving distance of LA and San Diego, I think it's the route we'll likely go. (Although hubby is really pushing for the DREAM!)

We are considering doing Disney out of LA this time around too... but having trouble convincing myself the extra money is worth it. (does anyone know when they might do their kids free promotion?)

• 3 weeks later...

I have sailed both the Splendor and Spirit with my son. On the Spirit, he was just shy of 3 years old, and the Splendor he was 3 years, 8 months. We just returned from the Splendor on Sunday, 9/25/11.

Personally, I prefer the Spirit because of the toddler pool. It's about 1 foot deep, the size of a large jacuzzi, and there is a gate surrounding it. There are lounge chairs for parents to relax within the gate. We had a great time hanging out there and it was nice not having to worry about my son getting outside the gate.

The Splendor does not have a toddler pool, but they have the splash park. There is no place for parents to hang out near the splash park, close enough to keep an eye on the kids. You either need to move a lounge chair to the limited space close to the entrance of the splash park, or sit in the plastic chairs 1 floor directly above the park.

I much prefer the toddler pool on the Spirit. Also, the Spirit has the "Jungle" area that my son loved to run around in. The "Jungle" is also where all the teenagers hang out. It's a huge, jungle decorated walkway at the front of the ship.

However, my son would not stay in Camp Carnival on the Spirit, but he did stay in Camp on the Splendor. But probably has more to do with him being older on the Splendor and his buddies were on the Splendor cruise with us too.

Archived