Flying into Milan for Savona Departure

KatetheWanderer

It is not a question of which nationality, but which Costa site / coutry made the cruise booking and if that Costa unit can offer that particular transfer / shuttle. I.e. if a cruise is booked via Costa USA, Costa UK will not accept a booking for just an airport transfer.

I know this from first hand. Back in 2007 the TA cruise we wanted was totally sold out by Costa Germany, so a 20 minute call to Costa UK and the cruise was booked (even with tha cabin we wanted (cross border booking could be done back then).

So we had out cruise b ut we still had the problem of getting from Savona back to Munich, Costa UK couldn't help as the bus transfer was not in their system. Costa Germany has the transfer in their system but could not book it as we had booked the cruise via Costa UK. So in the end we contacted the bus company that makes the transfer on Costa's behalf and made the booking and payment direct with them.

Costa is not very flexible when it comes to situations out of the ordinary.

Ron

Well, this gives me some hope. I will be in Nice/Provence three days before I have to be in Savona. I'll be zooming around in one of those toy SMART cars so I will have to nose around and see if I can find the bus company that does the transfers to the Savona port. If I get lucky, I can get most of my $30 rail ticket to Savona back through raileurope. It's 90% refundable.

When I asked if Costa US could interface with Costa France etc, the US rep said that Costa wouldn't permit it because I'm from the U.S. I asked--because I am a citizen of the U.S.? and she said yes. Tsk Tsk Costa. I have friends who cruise a lot who won't go Costa because its European so they think they will be choking on smoke everywhere. I'm hoping to have a fantastic cruise and prove them wrong. The customer service is peculiar to say the least but I can probably work around that and let it go if the chocolate dessert is as good as people say. Priorities.

Hi Kate,

My Nov 19th Costa cruise is booked thru an Italian travel agency, and I will be disembarking a different cruise line Nov 18th in Nice. So, I will see what they say about a transfer for me from Nice to Savona and let you know if they will help an American in Nice booked thru Italy, not France :D

Are you on the Fortuna to Brazil?

@austinal - yes I am on Fortuna Nov 19th and plan on staying the night before in Nice.

Anyone have a good suggestion on a waterfront Hotel in Nice? I didnt care for the Le Palais de la Mediterranee – stayed there last time and it was too contemporary for my taste.

@KatetheWanderer - The Italian travel agent wasn't able to get anywhere with the French Costa agents either :mad:

@G.M.T. - how did you find out which bus company had the booking? I would love to be able to join in on the shuttle from Nice without having to find my own way!

@G.M.T. - how did you find out which bus company had the booking? I would love to be able to join in on the shuttle from Nice without having to find my own way!

Just give Costa (i.e Costa France) a call and ask them who the bus company is.

There is a bus service from Nice Airport to Savona:

http://en.nice.aeroport.fr/Passengers/Directions-and-parking/Getting-to-the-airport/Buses-Shuttles

Ron

I was hoping to avoid the Italian blood sport of driving and just rent a car in France but I discovered that Hertz has an office in downtown Savona with a decent Triple A discount. Avis was sold out in Savona. Probably other pre-cruisers. I'll take the direct train from Milan to Savona for the car. Not brave enough to start my Italian driving course in big Milan. From Savona, it's not too complex to make it to the French border and Nice for a couple of days. If I survive, I can return the car to Savona the morning of the cruise after a night in the lovely looking and gushingly reviewed (Trip Advisor) Hotel de Paris San Remo. Savona is only an hour or two from San Remo.

• 3 weeks later...
Austinal - I started a roll call. We will see how many people respond. Last cruise I took on Costa had only 18 Americans, but we had stops in Yemen and Oman, so that might be why Americans stayed away.

SeabournGirl, I put my email on the roll call. If you emailed me I have not received it yet.

Archived