Shore Time....Do I have to?

janeba

In transit passengers do not have to get off in Southampton, the Immigration process is done on board ship (on the QM2 anyway) For several days before arriving passengers can attend to this , by going to the upper level of the Britannia DR.

Whenever I stay on board at an embarkation/disembarkation port in the USA I have had to wait until the final disembarkation call, then get off , go through the check process , wait for about 30 mins in a side area then I was allowed back on.

Ship is very quiet, almost nothing open, though in LA I did manage to get a pot of tea in the Cafe (QV) , but there were no "snacks" except those "for show only" . You may meet a minor communication problem, at first I was told "we are not open for service" but I showed my cabin card to prove I was "in transit" not a new passenger and that solved the problem. It has of course to do with paying the bill.

Have great trip.

Regards to Northeast girl, we met on a previous cruise hope life is treating you well.

Lynn

The only place where I have never set foot of the ship at all was our second visit to Gibraltar. There was, of course, an ulterior motive in that it allowed me to sit on the balcony all day photographing rust buckets! :D

But i agree, it's probably the most relaxing time you are likely to experience on the ship - lovely to have a near empty ship even though the range of possible activities can be a little restricted and, of course, the shops are closed if shopping is your thing. I'm planning on doing something similar in Piraeus next year, which will also be a second visit and probably has even more rust-bucketing potential than Gib.

J

Don't know that you can see a lot of rust buckets in Piraeus - unless you take a juant to Perama - But you can see a lot of ferries/cruise ferries. EM

Archived