How do I get from Savona to Portofino?

DD99

This is probably too far for a port day visit, but you can get there by train. Well, you can get most of the way there, you'd need to take a taxi or a bus for the last three or four miles.

The train from Savona to Santa Margherita Ligure takes about two hours each way, but is a bargain at 6 Euro. There is a bus from there to Portofino, but unless the timing works out perfectly, you'd be better off taking a taxi.

You can check the train schedules here: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

If you really have your heart set on Portofino then you most efficient way would be to simply rent a car. It will take you about 1:20 each way (it is a very scenic drive) where you will go through many many tunnels up in the hills above the coast. We actually love this drive and have always lost count of all the tunnels when driving from France down to Southern Italy. The autostrade is certainly one of the great road building engineering feats.

Hank

If you really have your heart set on Portofino then you most efficient way would be to simply rent a car. It will take you about 1:20 each way (it is a very scenic drive) where you will go through many many tunnels up in the hills above the coast. We actually love this drive and have always lost count of all the tunnels when driving from France down to Southern Italy. The autostrade is certainly one of the great road building engineering feats.

Hank

That road really is amazing--there is such a long stretch when you are either in a tunnel or on a bridge--I wll never forget it. It's kind of too bad because the scenery is lovely--when you can actually SEE it!

Ok, my curiosity got the best of me so I had to go look at the Michelin site and count the tunnels just on this relatively short route from Savona to Portofino. The answer is 25! Yes, only 25 tunnels on that stretch plus at least one very long bridge that supports a 4 lane road hanging on the side of a cliff. Such wonderful memories of that drive :)

Hank

Archived