MSC Opera review 31 August to 8th September

clydecruiser

Just back from the Opera, after the help given here before we went I felt it right to write a review. Sorry if it is long.

Do not know quite were to start, we had heard of the MSC Opera horror stories before embarking: food, service, multi language etc., etc., etc.. So we went with a truly open mind, a bit of trepidation and a little fear.

We need not have worried, food was in general good, cabin was fairly standard, entertainment from the excellent to the dire, drinks package was good value and service across the board was in general friendly and attentive. So like any other cruise really.

I cannot complain about a ship, which serves Crepe Suzette fresh from the pan in every bar on formal night

MSC Opera is a good ship to sail on and would appeal in its layout to the Aurora and Oriana fans. Decor is classic in style but not much artwork (no art auctions at all ☺) mainly mirrors all over the ship giving a light and airy feel to the ship. All public lounges have views to the outside and there was plenty of seating space in all lounges. The ship was sailing full but we never once had problems finding a space to sit.

There is also a large area at the rear of each deck with about 40 loungers per deck. The prom deck does not wrap around but is very wide. Bizarrely there are no loungers or seats here at all. I assume it has to do with the muster stations being on deck and not in the lounges. Talking of muster this was not held until after Amsterdam so really pushing the 24-hour limit for muster after boarding.

Pool area is nice with plenty of loungers, 2 pools and 2 hot tubs and poolside showers and you can access the pools from central lifts that enter almost straight on to the pool area. To get a pool towel your card is swiped and if not returned you are charged €20 per towel. At first I thought this would annoy me but the massive advantage is that people take care of the towels returning them rather than leaving them lying on beds, towels can be refreshed as often as required so no returning to a soggy towel after lunch if you went swimming first, so I am a convert to this now, you can ask for multiple towels so only 1 person needs to go for them. Food was banned from the pool area again aiding the clean appearance of the area no plates, bowls, napkins etc. flying around. There was a large patio area for eating outdoors if you wished.

There is a similar deposit to the towels for board games, cards etc. and the mini golf equipment.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

Embarking at Southampton was a breeze, we arrived and dropped bags at 11:50 and even allowing for the fact we had to park at a car park some distance away from City Terminal and get the shuttle bus back we were in our cabin after all formalities at 12:20. It was a nice touch to have a steward take your hand luggage and guide you to your cabin and another traditional touch was the bus-boys around the ship.

Disembarking on return was by the attending a lounge and getting told to disembark no announcements through the ship. We were off the ship by 08:00 with the only delay caused by waiting for the shuttle back to the car park.

It was odd to see people come and go at every port of call but it was all well managed by MSC. It was one cruise that when you had the thought that you had never seen someone before on the cruise you were probably correct.

Cabin

We had the visit from the upgrade fairy before departure so we went from inside guarantee to outside cabins, we were in 8227 (a twin) and my mum in 8041 (a triple), the extra bed hanging on the wall rather than been hidden in the wall or roof of the cabin.

Good idea to have storage and safe behind dressing table mirror set in to the corner and plenty of plugs easily to hand. Storage space was similar to other lines. Bathroom was also similar to other lines the only slight problem being the triangular shower and my new best friend the shower curtain who scrubbed my back every shower.

The drink’s package included the mini bar and water and snacks in the cabin so that was good given the lack off tea/coffee facilities in the cabin.

Cabin was kept clean and tidy and we had no noise or bad creaks in the bumpy seas and we seldom saw the room stewardess so that worked well.

Downside was blankets and sheets, personal taste I know but I prefer a quilt.

No extras in the cabin by way of cotton wool/buds or lotions and potions apart from the wall mounted soap and shower gel dispensers.

Food and drink

The self-service was the same elbow to the ribs, walking stick whacked of shins, queue jumping, eye poking experience of most other ships. Food if you stuck to the Italian and continental style was always good, I loved the different breads at breakfast and lunch. The British items were acceptable. All the pasta was made fresh on board daily and tasted exceptional. The outside grill had pizza, burgers, sausage and a daily special although this was only open until 4pm at the latest.

Restaurant service was good with a wide breakfast selection; breakfast could be a tad chaotic similar to other cruises. Lunch could be 7 courses if required with great pasta and Italian dishes; there was an always-available side to the menu. The lunch items that were non-Italian were again in general good.

Dinner was 9:00pm for second sitting and was a 7-course journey (Appetizer, Salad, Soup, Pasta/Risotto, Main Course, Cheese, Dessert) through a different Italian region each night. It was good to get a card on the table each night explaining the region and the food, which came from that region. The always available menu had beef, fish, chicken, salad and pasta, I never had to eat from this side over the 8 nights so I was very pleased. Highlights for me were 2 Italian steak dishes a Filet Mignon with a mushroom sauce and also another Italian filet steak dish. The soups were always hot and tasty and the Pasta and Risottos were exceptional.

There were 2 communal desserts paraded into the restaurant by the waiters over the cruise, 1 was an Italian flan doused in liqueurs, and the other on the last night were the biggest Baked Alaska I have seen on a ship and also possibly the biggest flames. With the baked Alaska a glass of Prosecco was served to all guests.

My wife is a coeliac and requires a Gluten Free diet so that was a slight concern before boarding, we need not have worried. In the restaurant Carlos, a Station Captain introduced himself on the first night and he was the proverbial genie in a bottle. Every time we entered the restaurant (no matter from which door) he was at her side. Anything she wanted from the menu’s he arranged (Danish pastries and Croissants being a real surprise at breakfast). If a fish dish was not suitable he had another fish dish made for her etc., etc.. Gluten free pasta was made fresh to order, in some dishes sauces were removed but in general she was happy with the coeliac options.

This year both of us celebrated birthdays ending in 0 with my wife’s being the last night of the cruise. After the parade of the Baked Alaska’s and the parade of the Chefs she spotted the waiters being suspicious, yes she got the Italian version of Happy Birthday with the largest Gluten free chocolate cake we have ever seen. This was a really nice touch as we had not seen any other celebrations while on board.

I should say that additional veg was available but that we never felt the need for it, tea and coffee was available at lunch and dinner if you asked for it, as was tap water. We stuck to the bottled water, as it was part of the drinks package.

Drinks and Bars

We took the standard drinks package so this covered house wine in the restaurants, all wine in the bars, spirits, beers, cocktails, smoothies, freshly squeezed orange juice, water, soft drinks and in the cabin the mini bar (this was great for bottled water in the cabin with the lack of tea and coffee facilities).

The spirit measure used was certainly more in line with Celebrity and therefore larger than P&O, although the drink price was more expensive than P&O so swings and roundabouts in reality.

Ports and Sea Days

We used the shuttle at La Rochelle (€7) and Bilbao (€12) and at the other ports – Amsterdam, La Coruna, Cherbourg – simply walked off. At all ports we had a wander and did our own thing. We were asked to present ourselves on board for a passport check on the morning of arrival in Amsterdam. All non-UK citizens had to do the same on the sea day before arrival in the UK.

On the 2 sea days the weather was not great, the first we sailed in a milky fog with the horn sounding. It was a weird one as the sea was smooth as glass, there was no wind, from the pool deck you could not see the sea or the funnel, from the mini golf deck you could not see the pool – the weirdest fog day we have had. The second day was wet, wet, wet, bumpy and lumpy

Animators, Entertainment and multi-cultural living

The Animators (entertainment staff) work really hard, are constantly around and always bubbly it would be easy to criticise quizzes in 5 languages etc. but that is part of the fun and hats off to the staff who can converse and ad-lib in 5 languages.

The theatre entertainers were all ship staff so no guest entertainers, it was a mix of an English singer, dancers, acrobatic performers, operatic singers, a flamenco troupe, quick change/juggling duo. For us the highlights where the tenor and soprano teamed with a piano and violin duo who normally played in the martini bar and also the flamenco evening as a dance group they were outstanding. The cruise director made his nightly appearance with a welcome to the audience in 5 languages, yes it could seem long winded but again he spoke with no script and would ad-lib in any of the 5 languages depending on the audience reaction to what he was saying.

There was music and frolics in all the bars and all nationalities seemed to enjoy it. The majority of vocals were in English but often interspersed with songs in Spanish or Italian.

The ‘theme’ of the ship was definitely ‘holiday time’, so no sign of serious lectures or talks her that might make your brain hurt.

Dress code was in theory 6 informal and 2 formal nights. It is fair to say that informal was not well adhered to, but that more of an effort was made on the formal nights. We dressed to the code and enjoyed ourselves – why worry about others.

The kids club at all ages seemed to be well attended with various activities through the day and at night, all the nationalities seemed to gel well.

In conclusion we had a good cruise on a good ship with a happy crew. Would we go again yes, even whilst it sometimes felt we had stepped on to the set of the Eurovision song contest. We would rank the experience along side P&O although not as formal in style or approach.

Thank you for your review of Opera. We board at the end of the week and it was nice to see a positive approach. We are easy to please so I don't see a problem for us either. To get the things we are used to on American ships is good - i.e. water and coffee with dinner. Probably the only thing that will get to me is the 5 languages, but hey, is that enough to spoil a holiday - no, I don't think so. Thanks for the info re the pool area as we like to lounge around on sea days. Overall, a holiday is what you make it.

Rosie

Thanks for taking time to write such a great review. I'm so pleased you had a great holiday - I too am a MSC fan :) - a great attitude will show you a good time no matter where you are - and although the announcements are in 5 languages there are not too many of them - so they are easy to cope with.

We had a (recently diagnosed) diabetic with us and were a bit anxious to know how to deal with that whilst travelling. We had the same attention to detail with her meals - it all seemed so effortless and we were so grateful.

Just back from the Opera ..... Bathroom was also similar to other lines the only slight problem being the triangular shower and my new best friend the shower curtain who scrubbed my back every shower.

LOL :D

On the 2 sea days the weather was not great, the first we sailed in a milky fog with the horn sounding. It was a weird one as the sea was smooth as glass, there was no wind, from the pool deck you could not see the sea or the funnel, from the mini golf deck you could not see the pool – the weirdest fog day we have had.

THIS sounds so unique and interesting :cool:

From a fellow Brit thank you for an excellent balanced review from a British perspective not that I've anything against our American and Commonwealth friends but I feel their values, requirements, and demands are often different to ours. Having booked a cruise not on Opera but on Splendida I found your review helpful and encouraging after reading many poor reviews as you mentioned yourself at the start. I always look forward to my next cruise, now I find myself looking forward to it even more.

Thanks for the in depth review clydecruiser. It's a while since I've been on the Opera, although will be sailing on her next spring. Some recent reviews ssaid she was looking tired and run down but sounds like that may not be true from what you have said/

I do recall frequently being "attacked" by the shower curtain and your comments about it made me smile.

Thanks for the in depth review clydecruiser. It's a while since I've been on the Opera, although will be sailing on her next spring. Some recent reviews ssaid she was looking tired and run down but sounds like that may not be true from what you have said/

I do recall frequently being "attacked" by the shower curtain and your comments about it made me smile.

I would not have called her run down. For a ship of 8/9 years old we thought she was in very good condition and looked well maintained.

Balanced... Your food review is complimentary (mine not so); but, some ships get different reviews (evidencing inconsistency) and a line can improve its food if they work on it. Carnival's food was dissed for a long time; they consciously worked to upgrade - and did. MSC has great ships and I liked their crew... A bit of 'tweaking' is all they needed, mainly a taskmaster in the galley.

Glad you returned willing to repeat.

Just back from the same itinerary and generally agree with Clydecruiser. the ship is excellent, I found the food to be really good whereas the wife thought it OK, she is veggie and doesn't like pasta and did struggle a little but as she says that's her problem not the cooks. We found the picking up and dropping off of passengers a little odd but there you go. Amsterdam was not very good with no staff on at the boarding gate and everybody milling around, transit and new boarders together causing queue's the same at Bilboa.

One moan there was 1 film on all week no change so 24/7 some silly cartoon thing and no radio station, not a major problem but a niggle that would be so easy to fix.

More seriously was the lack of people using the disinfectant jel, I have noted this is common on most lines (P&O etc the only line that I have traveled with that monitor the stations, by having a crew member at them insisting they are used before entering any eating area is Thomsons) but it did seem worse than normal on Opera.

The buffet did get very crowded mainly due to people just sitting after eating leaving no room to sit and eat for later arrivals, not a problem if the weather is fine as there is plenty of seating outside, but not pleasant if the weather is poor, a note on the table encouraging people to leave after eating would help a little perhaps.

The room service breakfast was a little hit and miss with items being missed off though the quality was fine.

The entertainment was generally good not an easy task with such a cultural mix, but managed pretty well. The classical nights were particularly good and the dancers tried hard. Not one for slapstick and mime type stuff we didn't attend any but if you enjoy this sphere of entertainment it was available and I'm reliably informed quite good.

The cabin was adequate and spotless the bed comfortable the shower was intimate and if you wish to shower in pairs would have been amusing.

There was a fair amount of roll over the Bay of Biscay as expected and the doggy bags were out. No problem for us I actual sleep better with a little bit of movement but that's me.

Nice touches being given a pacamac at La Rochelle when the weather was a little inclement. 5 different towel animals on the bed after the turn down service.Plenty of free drink at the Captains Gala, Martini, fizzy wine etc.

All in all an enjoyable cruise for the first time on MSC. Would I sail with them again .. yes without a doubt if the itinerary suited. Would I search them out first ..no but with a little bit of fine tuning probably yes.

Archived