Any help gratefully received.

faringdonfilly

Hi I am a cruise virgin, booked to go in February 2012 on MSC Slendida. Feeling rather nervous about all the negative posts regarding this ship. I am taking the trip with a friend and hoped to be able to come back so enthused that my husband will come with me next time - he is too sceptical about bad food etc. so I dare not show him the comments. Does anyone know if the ship owners are likely to know what is being said and act on it by improving the food before Feb.12?

Hi I am a cruise virgin, booked to go in February 2012 on MSC Slendida. Feeling rather nervous about all the negative posts regarding this ship. I am taking the trip with a friend and hoped to be able to come back so enthused that my husband will come with me next time - he is too sceptical about bad food etc. so I dare not show him the comments. Does anyone know if the ship owners are likely to know what is being said and act on it by improving the food before Feb.12?

Every passenger is encouraged to fill out a comment card at the end of the cruise so management is well aware of how their passengers feel about things like the quality of the food. If they are sub-standard compared to the cruise line's own expectations of course efforts will be made to improve things. Whether or not management feels improvement is necessary or if any improvements would be made prior to your sailing is impossible to say.

Hi~

I can't comment on your ship specifically, but most of the time, on the last night of your cruise, there will be a comment card in your room that you can fill out that indicates things that you liked, disliked...etc..about your trip...I'm sure that management or whoever reads those and if there are enough negative comments on the same issues, then they will be corrected. Also, most times, if you need something corrected, an employee will be available to do it right away while you a are on the ship. You don't have to go the whole duration of your cruise miserable over an issue that can be fixed.

As far as reviews, you really have to read them with a grain of salt. 1000s of people cruise weekly and have a good time. A very small handful out of those thousands take the time to go online and post a review. Some people are more likely to complain than commend unfortunately and things such as food and such are subjective. Someone may have had one bad dish so indicated in their review that ALL the food is bad...etc..I have read reviews where two people were on the exact same ship at the exact same time and their reviews were completely opposite.

Cruising is one of those things that you really have to try for yourself to see if you like it or not. It's nice to read a review every now and then to read about other people's experiences, but you can't let that scare you off or stop you from having a good time for yourself.

Mebbe not the best cruiseline for a first cruise - when a UK, or possibly a US, cruiseline is a better bet.

But not to worry.

There's nothing wrong with the food or the ship (MSC have the most modern & stylish ships on the oceans) but its an Italian ship, its run like an Italian ship, and surprise,surprise, the food is geared to Italian tastes.

So it's not going to change between now & February.

Don't expect a well-cooked Britsh breakfast, and although it's excellent do expect much of the food to be luke-warm, it doesn't trouble their core clientele.

Italians are quite noisy & excitable, and have no idea how to stand in a queue. They're friendly & they're not ignorant, its just their way.

Go with the flow & you'll have a great time.:)

Get uptight because things aren't done the way you're used to & you'll join the moaning minnies.:(

JB :)

We went on Msc Opera last year, they also had quite a lot of bad reviews & we were a bit aprehensive. We had a great time and found lots of the bad review details were completely acceptable to us.

Go with an open mind and go with the flow. If you continually look for faults then you will find some on any cruise line Im sure.

We will travel with Msc again in the future without hesitation.

Ditto what others have said, food is entirely subjective so you might love it. Just go and relax and enjoy that someone else is cooking and cleaning up! Even when the food's not completely to my taste, I just remember that and smile. :)

It's not unlike reading bad reviews of a hotel for example. I've seen hotels get a blistering review score (like a 4 out of 10) and when you read the review, it was because they couldn't get their favourite TV channel or because the bath towels were too scratchy. :rolleyes:

Breathe, relax and ENJOY your first cruise!

Don't forget passengers who have something to moan about (valid or not) will scream the loudest and write to every forum they can find. The vast majority will leave then ship go home happy and contented with THEIR cruise and never think about putting finger to keyboard.

A lot of the negative compalints / reviews about the cruise mafia (MSC & Costa) come from American passengers who want to "feel" European culture during the ports of call but want to return to their American Bubble (everything American on the ship, language, food etc). BUT this is not going to happen on MSC, as stated in previous messages it's an Italian ship and is run as such.

Go without any pre-conceived and just take every day as a fun day, after all you are on a cruise.

Don't worry be happy cruiser.

Ron

if i were you .i,d go on the cruise open minded forget the reviews as everyone is different .

fi you dont like something theres always other cruiselines for you to try .

the most important thing is fot you and your friend to relax and ejoy the cruise ,forget the moaners you,ll find them on every cruise line ,you cant please all the peole all the time.

Probably because they've seen your post on this forum :rolleyes:, MSC have taken steps to gear the food on Splendida more to British tastes.

Antony Worrall-Thompson will be helping out on Splendida next Feb.

http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/Antony-Worral-Thomson-Sets-Sail-With-MSC-Cruises.aspx

That'll teach you :D

JB ;)

As was said by others the food offered is always a touchy and subjective topic. Let's assume everyone knows that feeding thousands of people is difficult and means food is made to the feed the masses and exotic foods or spiced-just-the-way-you-like-it food is just not going to be possible. That being said, my sis and her hubs went on a cruise, ate like gluttons and loved every bite! Unfortunately when it comes to reviews you get the bell effect...the ones who love it and the ones who hate it because they feel strrongest, but the literally hundreds of thousands who have cruised and been perfectly content don't bother. I am sure you will have fun, and your hubby will be jealous he missed out!

Even if some of the Italian style food is not to your liking, with 6 courses to choose from at lunch and dinner in the MDR, there is bound to be something you'll enjoy. The pastas and risottos are good and the gelato excellent. Appetizers are nice (IMO), the main sometimes let them down.

Go with an open mind, the particularly bade review you saw on Splendida was from an experienced cruiser used to the way the American lines do things. You have no preconceived ideas of what a cruise should be like so are not going to be making these sorts of comparisons.

I've been on the sister ship and it is very beautiful (also very large). The 3 tier atrium with the Swarozski crystal staircases and glass elevators is gorgeous and has a great selection of bars and lounges around it, to hang out it, people watch and listen to the live music. Just off the atrium (I think on deck 6) there is a beautiful piazza area decorated like an outdoor talian courtyard with tiled floors, mrble fountian, wrought iron bistro furniture and has full coffee and bar service as well as a very tempting patisserie counter to indulge at.

The zen area at the back of one of the higher decks (15 I think) has a much quietr pool area and is a great place to chill out at. has it's own bar so you can get great non alcholic cocktails ade with fresh juices andf all the other normal bar stuff.

There is just so much to see and do on the ship itself, you are bound to find something you enjoy.

Finally, you are going to be wakening up to an exciting new prot each day, without the hassle of packing and unpacking each time.

Go with an open mind, you never know, you may be one of those that love it!

Archived