Drew Sailbum.. help please :)

Clearwater

Hi Drew,

I have searched the Grand Caymen forum and can't find my answer so thought I would post directly to you.

Awhile back, someone posted about an incredible restaurant with a pool, a beach and you could dive there or snorkel there. It was sort of a rare known place.

I bookmarked the site and then my laptop crashed and I lost all of the cruise info I have been saving for a year. (ugg!)

I remember reading about this place here on this forum in someones review.

We are on the Legend in 23 days and I am trying to finalize my GC trip.

Any ideas?? I will know it when I see it. I remember it wasn't super posh and I was happy about that.

Thanks in advance!

The only place that I can think of that's "lesser known" on the boards and that matches the majority of your list is maybe Sunset House. It doesn't have a beach, but it has everything else.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

I can't think of anywhere on the island that matches everything on your list... :confused:

Thank you! It may infact be Sunset House! I think I may have assumed the beach portion because of the sea pools.

Have you been there?? The website definitely shows it as a dive spot but I don't see any snorkel links. Is this an option or is the depth too much?

Thanks again!!

The only place that I can think of that's "lesser known" on the boards and that matches the majority of your list is maybe Sunset House. It doesn't have a beach, but it has everything else.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/

I can't think of anywhere on the island that matches everything on your list... :confused:

Where would you recommend to go/visit for 1st time visitors to the island. We will have a group of 10 ranging from 2 - 65 yrs. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Where would you recommend to go/visit for 1st time visitors to the island. We will have a group of 10 ranging from 2 - 65 yrs. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It depends a lot on what you're interested in doing. Beach day? Tourist attractions? Historic or cultural sites? Water-based activities? A few more details about what you like would help focus the answers a little more... :-)

Looks like you got quite a bit of good advice.

The particular combination of beach, restaurant, along with diving/snorkeling really is a tough one. I'd have to point to the resorts on East End - Royal Reef resort or the neighboring Morritt's Tortuga Club - as perhaps the only places with all three. There is good snorkeling from shore, but it is too shallow for scuba diving. I'm not sure if day visitors can use the pools.

Otherwise, Sunset House offers diving or snorkeling (reef starts in about 20ft of water) and they usually don't mind if you take a dip in the pool. Most daytime guests eat at the expansive My Bar on location. There is no sandy beach at Sunset House.

The Royal Palms is a popular beach (ie sandy beach) spot with restaurant and bar and a pool. Snorkeling is not particularly good there. Others have noted that the pool is reserved for adults.

The sand that makes for a nice beach also gets stirred up by waves and storms. That kills coral by smothering it. So beaches which are not protected in some way from the open ocean tend to prevent shallow water reef formation. An offshore fringing reef, such as at Morritts in East End, may knock down the open ocean waves and keep the near shore waters calm enough to support coral growth.

Archived