Qm2 in greenock (glasgow)

jimpod

Just got home from watching the QM2 leave Greenock. Hundreds of people there to watch as she sailed out of the port - even a firework display. She is the last 'big' ship to be in this year. Roll on next year when we can start all over again!

I concur, we were also on the 2009 trip and even though the fireworks were delayed waiting on a tardy coach to return, they were truly spectacular. As we returned from our trip to Loch Lomond there were people lining the river side for miles. There was a very festive atmosphere. It was a special departure.

Mike

Couldn't agree more Jim pod, Big Mike and Highly Sociable.

We too were on the maiden round Britain and the send offs from both Greenock and Liverpool were spectacular. At the former camera flashes for what seemed like miles along the banks of the Clyde (as there had been for the arrival in the dark earier in the day) with car horns blairing, only to be followed the following day with thousands on the Liverpool keyside departure.

It was a great atmosphere at both ports and I often wonder what it would have been like to have been in the crowd on shore watching the mighty QM2 slip her birth. Having said that once she had set sail I'd much rather be on her!:)

Archived