Platinum Card (Amex) Benefit

its_my_dime

NOTE: This is NOT a commercial for or an endorsement of American Express.

Potential cruisers should note that, if you have an American Express Platinum Card (cost $395/year) and use it to pay for your booking (following all of the posted rules), Seabourn will give you a $300 PER BOOKING PER CABIN (NOT per person) credit on your shipboard account. Note that a "back-to-back" two week trip is considered a single booking.

The credit, plus the miles points for the flight and cruise cost, means that, if you qualify for and receive your Platinum card before making your Seabourn reservation, the first year cost of the card is substantially paid for.

I'm not sure--I do know in some cases you must use Platinum Travel Service (PTS) to get the credit. I think the only sure way to get the credit is use the Platinum Card and book thru PTS. They also offer at certain times 10,000 to 25,000 travel points for a booking. The points are worth a few bucks!

you can get the credit using any travel agent (maybe any agent registered with amex) as long as you deposit and pay with your amex platinum card. as for centurion card holders the credit goes up to $500.

There is a small amount of paperwork for a TA to do in order to secure this benefit for the client. Unfortunately, Seabourn's reservationists will not do it nor will certain high-volume agencies. Be sure to specifically ask your TA to do it before giving them your booking;if they refuse (or say they can't) consider finding another TA.

The cruise before last I tried using an American Express authorized agency--I was assured that I would get all that PTS offered--It turned out they couldn't come close--offered $150 per cabin credit--I cancelled and rebooked thru PTS--If you got full credit from and outside agency you had a lot better luck than I did. I wonder if the agent may have given up some fee to make up the credit?

la Paloma,

i think you may have just used the wrong TA. i have always received the full $300 credit plus all the other amenities and have never booked thru PTS. and the credit came directly from amex, not the TA. certain agents are just willing to do the extra work it takes. i would insist on it if i were you when you book your next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Also note, over and above the $300 or $500 SBC, you get a once a year $150 travel credit on your card (if you use an Amex TA, like PTS or Golden Bear, or any affiliated Amex TA) Make sure you remind your agent!

CruiserDan

• 2 weeks later...

The amount for singles varies by cruiseline. RSSC, for example, gives $225 to singles. Most, however, give $150. Many cruiselines also give onboard credits to shareholders in the parent company. Celebrity gives $250 per cabin for a 14 day cruise to holders of 100 shares of RCL stock. I believe Carnival has a similar program and Seabourn is part of the Carnival group.

Hi,

Unfortunatly, Carnival Corp. stopped the shipboard credit for stock holders quite a while ago. It use to be that when you received your annual report their were clip out coupons in the back. If you did not have the AR you could call Carnival Corp and they requested a proof of stock ownership.

Those were the good old days. I remember in 1999 I went on the Newport Jazz festival cruise on the QE2. It was a ridiculous price and I received $300. per cabin for Amex, $200. per cabin for being a multi time repeaters (that was when past pax rec'd s/c) and $100 per cabin for both of us being shareholders. From a business standpoint it certainly wasn't profitable when the total cabin fare was less then 2K. (I had booked the Jazz Festival onboard a previous cruise so I received the extra 5% also).

I agree, the Amex Platinum is wonderful for its benefits.

Bon voyage

You are so correct. I just took a look at the Carnival Annual Report for 2004 and it is still applicable for shareholders of at least 100 shares.

Glad to learn something new.

Thanks to all.

mcboo:):):)

the annual report mentions that the credit is not available to those sailing on a "reduced rate basis."

Does anyone know what this means? I can't imagine that the vast majority of us who pay less than brochure prices are not eligible for this credit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived