Help with Boston area transportation

NoWhiners

Hi all

I'll be going to Boston and was looking to stay a few days pre-cruise. I am trying to figure out if I should take the T or just grab a cab. We will be at the Hyatt regency, near Downtown crossing stop on the T. it looks like can get on the T at the airport, then transfer at State Station to the orange line and get to Downtown Crossing. I have no issue with walking and will only have a small roller bag. Any advise or comments? Should I just take a cab?

I also read that you can get a Charlie card (plastic) or get paper tickets for the T, which seem to cost more. Can I get a free plastic card at the airport station and just load it with some money? is there a minimum amount?

Thanks for any and all help!

ML

I love the Hyatt because it is so convenient to the "T". I would advise taking the Silver Line bus directly from your airport terminal to South Station. When you get off the bus go to the right to the end of the platform to transfer down one level (stairs or elevator) to the Red Line Direction Alewife. Walk down the platform towards the back of the train and take any train one stop to Downtown Crossing. If you are at the back of the train you can follow the signs to the Chauncy St. exit. When you come out the exit go right down Chauncy St. about a block (across from Bedford St.???) where you will see a garage entrance. Go in the garage entrance and you will see the downstairs entrance to the Hyatt.

Are you doing this before 7 PM? If not, the directions change because I think the Chauncy St. entrance closes, so post back. I don't think you can get a plastic Charlie Card at the airport (but look around - I was there last week and there were some sort of "T" ticket machines), but you can definitely get one in the Downtown Crossing Station, which is one of the main "T" stations.

If you can manage your luggage, I see no reason to spend $25+ for a cab. The Silver Line is only a few years old and was specifically designed to get travelers with luggage directly from the airport terminals to South Station.

Wow, thanks 138east!! This is terrific info. I will be getting in before 7 pm, so your plan seems good.

3 more questions:

Are the signs to the Silver Line bus obvious (I am flying Southwest to Logan)?

Does the bus use the same cards as the train (and cost the same)?

For a bonus bit of info, are there any good sports bars/pubs near the Hyatt?!!

Thank you so much for all the help/info,

ML

Wow, thanks 138east!! This is terrific info. I will be getting in before 7 pm, so your plan seems good.

3 more questions:

Are the signs to the Silver Line bus obvious (I am flying Southwest to Logan)? Southwest comes into Terminal E. The bus will stop out front somewhere - just look around or ask. They are distinctive buses - they are articulated in the middle.

Does the bus use the same cards as the train (and cost the same)? Yes and the transfer to the Red Line is free if you don't leave the station.

For a bonus bit of info, are there any good sports bars/pubs near the Hyatt?!! Unfortunately not my area of expertise.

Thank you so much for all the help/info,

ML

Look for a "T" vending machine inside the terminal.

Yes - get your plastic Charlie card and put some money on it - you can use the same card for 2 people. Fare is $1.70 instead of $2 with the card. You can use cash or debit/credit card in the machine - it offers even dollar choices, but you can play around with it to select an amount that is a multiple of $1.70. Take any Red Line train direction Braintree/Ashmont from Downtown Crossing one stop to South Station. Follow the signs to the Silver Line Transfer - don't go through the exit gates. On the Silver Line Platform towards the back of the platform is the waiting area for the SL1 bus to Logan.

Archived