Cigars in Grand Cayman

Cigar Dude

FYI to any cigar lovers.

I was just at the La Casa del Habano in Grand Cayman and Wallace, the manager, is a great guy. He is quite knowledgeable about Cuban cigars. The individual stick prices are quite high as they have duty added. The box prices are duty free so they are a much better deal.

Wallace with Connie and I:

100_3455.jpg

The humidor:

100_3469.jpg

100_3470.jpg

Front desk:

100_3454.jpg

The LCDH is here...

LCDH.jpg

Very close to where the tender drop is. Through the breezeway is the entrance to the LCDH.

Sorry, had wrong location shown. Here is the actual location of the LCDH in Grand Cayman.

GrandCaymenLCDHlocation-1.jpg

Through the breezeway is the entrance.

Fines of up to $55,000. :eek:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/cuban_cigars.xml

Your safest bet..."smoke 'em if ya got 'em." ;)

YIKES! :eek: I knew there were penalties but wasn't sure what they were exactly. So the big question is does it vary depending on what you are hauling? Does the guy with a whole box of Cubanos get a larger penalty vs someone with three individual cigars maybe just get them confiscated and a warning not to do it again?

So true, when my son/dil cruise he always checks out the cigar shops, he loves a good cigar.

Anyway, in Cozumel he said to watch out, the places he went had cuban knockoffs. He knew what questions to ask and he did not get the right answers.

So true, when my son/dil cruise he always checks out the cigar shops, he loves a good cigar.

Anyway, in Cozumel he said to watch out, the places he went had cuban knockoffs. He knew what questions to ask and he did not get the right answers.

That's why you stick with only going to La Casa del Habano's. There is a new one in Cozumel across from the Play del Carmen ferries.

Yes, the cruise lines don't care about cigars.

You did not ask about bringing them back to the US...but it is illegal to do so.

Hello Cigar Dude!

So glad you had a great time on the Legend. Read your blog from your trip. It was excellent. DH wants cigars while we are in the Western Caribbean. At LCDH how much does a box of good cigars run and which one is your favorite? Thanks for your professional opinion. :)

Darlene

Hello Cigar Dude!

So glad you had a great time on the Legend. Read your blog from your trip. It was excellent. DH wants cigars while we are in the Western Caribbean. At LCDH how much does a box of good cigars run and which one is your favorite? Thanks for your professional opinion. :)

Darlene

Ha! Hardly professional but...you can get them for somewhat reasonable prices at the GC LCDH. For example, a box of Partagas Serie D no. 4, a robusto cigar, was $225 for a box of 25, which is $9 per cigar average. Those are my personal favorite. They are medium bodied with very nice flavor.

While I was there I saw a guy buy 2 bundles of Jose L. Piedra's, which are a mixed filler cigar (some medium and some short filler) for about $70 a bundle! These cigars are made from the scraps of other Cuban cigars. They are still Cuban but they are not long filler. They would make a good yard cigar or if you're pinched for funds they make a good alternative to the higher priced cigars.

The per-stick-prices in GC are very high. If you're interested in getting the best bang for your buck get a box or bundle. There is no duty on the boxes but there is on singles, thus the huge savings.

Have fun!

Ha! Hardly professional but...you can get them for somewhat reasonable prices at the GC LCDH. For example, a box of Partagas Serie D no. 4, a robusto cigar, was $225 for a box of 25, which is $9 per cigar average. Those are my personal favorite. They are medium bodied with very nice flavor.

While I was there I saw a guy buy 2 bundles of Jose L. Piedra's, which are a mixed filler cigar (some medium and some short filler) for about $70 a bundle! These cigars are made from the scraps of other Cuban cigars. They are still Cuban but they are not long filler. They would make a good yard cigar or if you're pinched for funds they make a good alternative to the higher priced cigars.

The per-stick-prices in GC are very high. If you're interested in getting the best bang for your buck get a box or bundle. There is no duty on the boxes but there is on singles, thus the huge savings.

Have fun!

Thank you so much for your valuable advise. I have a feeling we will be buying boxes. LOL ;)

Archived