SNUBA in St. Thomas - Costs?

PS90

Hi all,

I am trying to decide what is the best route to take here. I would appreciate any advice.

I would like to do a Snuba excursion in St. Thomas, and I think using VI Snuba is the most highly recommended outfit for that. However, the total for that excursion (including taxi fare fees) will be about $170 (plus tip) for two people.

If, however, I book through Celebrity's Snuba excursion - I think this is maintained through Coral World - will only cost about $130 or so for two people, since it is cheaper per person and (I assume) it includes transportation.

So, is the VI Snuba THAT MUCH better than the excursion that I can book through the cruiseline, considering the extra cost? Usually a separate, non-cruise-line-based excursion is much cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Or am I missing something???

Thanks very much.

VI Snuba and Coral world are literally doing Snuba on the same reef. They are walking distance from each other. I like Snuba at Coral World and booked directly with Coral World and took a taxi. I think it was $77 per person and included admission to the park, which had exhibits and clean restrooms and showers. Plus, $18 RT/per person for taxi.

VI Snuba and Coral world are literally doing Snuba on the same reef. They are walking distance from each other. I like Snuba at Coral World and booked directly with Coral World and took a taxi. I think it was $77 per person and included admission to the park, which had exhibits and clean restrooms and showers. Plus, $18 RT/per person for taxi.

DirtyNanners,

Thanks very much for the help.

I'm afraid that I still don't really understand, however. I looked it up under Celebrity's shore excursions - the SNUBA they offer is $68.75pp and I assume that includes transportation to the Snuba dive-site. So, since VI Snuba is $74pp, and Coral World Snuba is $77pp, and neither of them include transportation - why are they better?

According to the VI Snuba website - you get to stay in the water a little bit longer, but I'm not sure 10-15 minutes longer dive-times is worth paying that much more money.

Or is there something else that makes it worth it?

I guess, my dilemma is that most excursions that are booked independently from the cruiselines are not only better, but are also usually much cheaper than booking through the cruiseline. In the case of Snuba in St. Thomas, though, it seems like booking through the cruiseline is MUCH cheaper. I guess I'm wondering why this is...:confused:

In St Thomas, some of the excursions are cheaper through the ship, because the operators negotiated a lower rate for the increased numbers. The ships are trying to discourage passengers from booking directly, I think.

When I did SNUBA through Coral Worold, I was the only one. When the cruise group came by later, I counted at least 10 participants.

The cruise excursion may not include Coral World admission since they take you back to the ship after the dive.

Thanks a lot, Ms411.

That makes sense. If that's the case, I need to decide if the extra $15-20pp to book directly is worth it or not. It might be worth it for a smaller group, but I don't think it's worth that much more money just to snuba for 10 more minutes.

PS90, I am trying to decide between VI Snuba and the Celebrity Snuba Excursion (I'm assuming is Coral World based on the prior posts here.) Let me know if you obtain anymore information - better yet, if you experience it before I get there :) I will there in mid-November.

PS90, I am trying to decide between VI Snuba and the Celebrity Snuba Excursion (I'm assuming is Coral World based on the prior posts here.) Let me know if you obtain anymore information - better yet, if you experience it before I get there :) I will there in mid-November.

Sounds great, thanks Jester, but it looks like you will be there first - we're not going until the end of December. And, don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure that you are right - Coral World does the Snuba that's contracted through Celebrity.

I'm thinking I will call them and see if anyone knows anything, if so I'll let you know. ;)

BTW, one more thing we have to consider - there will be 6 ships and about 17,000 people in port the day we are there. Will that impact our ability to get a taxi? Would it be safer to just book the ship's Snuba so we don't have to worry about not being able to get a taxi to back to the ship? Or am I just worrying for nothing? Thanks again!

Hi PS90,

I just received a response from Coral World

"The distance between the Port and Coral World is 25-30mins depending on traffic. We are affiliates of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. You may have to contact the activity desk and find what their excursions are for that day and their costs.
The cost to participate in SNUBA is $71/adult and $62/child, these prices includes admission into the park. The admission allows you all day entry into the park, all of the exhibits, underwater observatory, interactive feedings and our Sea Lion Presentation. Each child need to be at least 7 years old and a good swimmer to participate. You will need to allow yourself at least an hour, but will be in the water for 40 minutes. If you wish to make reservations, please contact our reservationist toll free at
ext. 233. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you to Coral World.
"

Hi PS90,

I just received a response from Coral World

"The distance between the Port and Coral World is 25-30mins depending on traffic. We are affiliates of Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. You may have to contact the activity desk and find what their excursions are for that day and their costs.
The cost to participate in SNUBA is $71/adult and $62/child, these prices includes admission into the park. The admission allows you all day entry into the park, all of the exhibits, underwater observatory, interactive feedings and our Sea Lion Presentation. Each child need to be at least 7 years old and a good swimmer to participate. You will need to allow yourself at least an hour, but will be in the water for 40 minutes. If you wish to make reservations, please contact our reservationist toll free at
ext. 233. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you to Coral World.
"

Jester,

Thanks so much that info. Do you know if that's the same if you book directly through Celebrity? Or is it done differently?

BTW, I don't know if you've browsed VI Snuba's website or not, but judging by what you just posted, they sound almost identical.

Thanks again!

PS90,

Not sure about booking directly with Celebrity. However, since Coral World in their message said they are affiliated with RCL, which is Celebrity's parent company, then I assume it is the same - maybe a few dollars cheaper.

I asked Coral World to send me their timings as it wasn't available on their website. The Celebrity Snuba excursion had a departure time of 9am from the Port so I'll assume a 10am start time.

VI Snuba had a start time of 10 and 12 at St. Thomas and 11am at St. Johns.

PS90,

Not sure about booking directly with Celebrity. However, since Coral World in their message said they are affiliated with RCL, which is Celebrity's parent company, then I assume it is the same - maybe a few dollars cheaper.

I asked Coral World to send me their timings as it wasn't available on their website. The Celebrity Snuba excursion had a departure time of 9am from the Port so I'll assume a 10am start time.

VI Snuba had a start time of 10 and 12 at St. Thomas and 11am at St. Johns.

Jester and Ms411 - thanks so much for all the help! Happy sailing to all!

Archived