Lost bag retrieval FCO -Italian fluent help?

rjmaype

My DW left a tote bag with a Nook and bracelet at Terminal 5 on August 6.

US Air (my carrier) was not able to help me in any manner.

I sent numerous emails to several addresses from a Google search for FCO general manager.

FCO called me yesterday informing me it was at the Lost and Found Office.

I called the Lost and Found office at 011.39.06.6595.5253.

I speak no Italian and their broken English translation is that I need to contact a courier and have someone appear in person to retrieve the bag.

Is there a English speaking service company in Rome that could help me with the retrieval?

Or does anyone know the procedure to claim the bag from the US?

Thanks

it has been 6 weeks..the stuff is lost...file a claim with your travel insurance...

sorry...but true..or are you trying to say that they have the bag, but can't get it to you? If that is the case keep calling the airline...but if you have travel insurance...they have a procudure for just this sort of thing...so call them too...

again...I am not sure if you are saying it has been found and waiting for you to get it or if it has NOT been found and you want them to look for it....

My DW left a tote bag with a Nook and bracelet at Terminal 5 on August 6. FCO called me yesterday informing me it was at the Lost and Found Office... I speak no Italian and their broken English translation is that I need to contact a courier and have someone appear in person to retrieve the bag.

Is there a English speaking service company in Rome that could help me with the retrieval?

Or does anyone know the procedure to claim the bag from the US?

Thanks

Congratulations on your tote being found!

My best suggestion would be to get in touch with Context Travel. They have a division called Concierge Services that specializes in personalized services. Context Travel sends drivers to FCO all the time through their transfer services. If their personnel retrieve people, why not tote bags? The only customized part of your request is that Context would then have to mail your tote to you.

Here's Context's email: info@contexttravel.com

What is the bag worth to you? Unless you know someone who is going through FCO and is willing to pick this up for you, the cost of a service to do this may not be worth it to you.

There are services that hand carry packages (a friend from college used to work at one and occasionally was able to get us free flights if we were willing to carry a package), you can google "international courier service" or "hand carry courier" and you'll come up with some to try.

Was the bag in checked luggage or was it just left there? If checked the airline is responsible. I would also notify my insurance company and let them go after it rather than have to pay a claim.Good luck.

PS If you pay my airfare I will go get it for you.

The bag was left between security and the passport check.

The bag is at the lost and found office at this time.

The unresponsive airline was no help at FCO and on this side of the pond.

I was actually surprised that FCO responded.

Because of my inadequate language skills, I cannot make that decision at this time that "the juice ain't worth the squeezings".

All the comments are valid and reasonable, but now that the bag is actually at the office I am willing to entertain some of the better ideas for my next course of action.

If you stayed at a hotel, you might try contacting the concierge to see if they can help.

We left a camera bag at Venice airport in August. We also needed to send someone to pick up the bag at the airport. My husband contacted the hotel where we stayed after our cruise and they picked up the camera, packaged it and mailed it to us. We had to pay for the shipping, which we didn't mind since the bag contained both our video camera and a memory card from a still camera with about 400 photos.

Archived