Should a search be enforced before starting a new thread?

jcrandle

Also......if anyone thinks that some one is attacking another......please hit the triangle and it will report to us and we'll make the call....We don't want people being mean to others but remember that without voice inflection it is hard to really understand someone (unless you know them) online......Bottom line....think first, If I were brand new here, how would I like them to respond to me.:)

Guest Time2gocruzn
I also, as many will notice, will do the searching MYSELF and post links...

I have seen you do that, and I think it is really nice! :) I think when someone says hey do a search, even though they mean it as a nice suggestion, it can come out sounding like "hey dumb*ss, why don't you do a search". I think it looks really nice when you do it that way. I think it helps them see you did a search and they can do the same.:) That way next time you don't have to do it for them...hopefully...LOL

Wouldn’t it helpful to keep the message board limited to questions that have never been asked before? Just think of it, I bet 75% to 80% of all current questions have been addressed or answered previously in some thread. Maybe we can set up some review process that has to go before a board of members to determine the suitability of the question, the appropriate board to place it on and the overall importance of the subject.

Let’s quit responding to them and make them do their own work!

No excuses… I don’t care how new you are to the board or how computer illiterate you are. You should have joined the board years ago! Now go take a computer class or get your 10 year old neighbor kid to help you out. Don’t make all of the people without any free time on their hands have to retype hyperlinks to previously asked and answered questions!

(Actually, when I see those posts with over a hundred replies, it gets overwhelming!)

_

DO NOT REPLY!!!!

This subject was already posted.

By replying here you are encouraging others to keep duplicate posts alive!

It's alive!!!!!

(lol)

;)

NOPE......I merged the two together......oops?:D

Ok then, should we as posters be helpful and start sending new posters in the right direction instead of answering the questions on the wrong forum? I know several times in the past whenever a person has pointed someone to a thread/forum section where the same question has already been asked, the OP and sometimes even regular posters here get angry at them and tell them just to answer the OP's question.

Should we as members who are here be courteous and help CC and our fellow posters by pointing them in the right direction?

When a question that has been asked several times before comes up, it's not too hard to simply help someone out and answer their question THEN tell them they may be able to find more valuable information if they did a search of the site. I do not find this rude or offensive. It only helps newbies become more familiar with the boards. As mentioned, this is in the CC guidelines.

It takes more effort to be rude than it does to be helpful;)

Originally Posted by derf5585

I have been found out.

Goggling is a 'good' thing. I was the 'google-guy' (laptop against the other teams) during the last game of Trival Pursuit. Almost won!

Have fun on your trip

:cool:

I have seen you do that, and I think it is really nice! :) I think when someone says hey do a search, even though they mean it as a nice suggestion, it can come out sounding like "hey dumb*ss, why don't you do a search". I think it looks really nice when you do it that way. I think it helps them see you did a search and they can do the same.:) That way next time you don't have to do it for them...hopefully...LOL
The "hey, dummy" syndrome is exactly what should be suppressed. However, it would be possible to to have a very polite reminder screen that pops up when "create a new thread" is selected. This screen could suggest a search of the topic first, but allow the posting to continue if the OP overides it. I truly believe this would both gently remind newbies of the search facility and not be burdensome to those who are certain that their post is unique (such as reviews, photos, etc.)

I don't think such an approach would be onerous, and would improve the signal to noise ratio significantly.

*scratchin' me head and pickin' me teeth*.....Why is this in the Carnival thread?????:confused: Mayhaps another location would have been more appropriate...just a thought.....
Thats a fair question. I chose this board because the responders seem to be bright, helpful, and fair minded. I knew this group would consider the topic seriously, without taking personal shots at my hare-brained suggestion. :D

The "hey, dummy" syndrome is exactly what should be suppressed. However, it would be possible to to have a very polite reminder screen that pops up when "create a new thread" is selected. This screen could suggest a search of the topic first, but allow the posting to continue if the OP overides it. I truly believe this would both gently remind newbies of the search facility and not be burdensome to those who are certain that their post is unique (such as reviews, photos, etc.)

I don't think such an approach would be onerous, and would improve the signal to noise ratio significantly.

I've noticed on many Internet forums that, to paraphrase Michael Crichton, the best place to live is "on the edge of chaos" (the extreme cases being chaotic and stagnant). Too much noise suppression means it's hard to get through the suppression. Not enough means it's hard to get through the noise. The right place is like a plateau between two cliffs--move too far in either direction, and it's a sudden dropoff. The location of the plateau is different for different situations--e.g. in the workplace, more control is appropriate.

There is a LOT of good signal in this message board, so we know we are safely on that plateau. The best strategy is to make minor, tentative changes only when we head toward one cliff or the other.

I suspect enforcing a search before a post would put us too close to a cliff. A safe alternative (that admittedly uses up more moderator time, so it's easy for me to say!) is actively consolidating duplicate threads.

Todd

I've noticed on many Internet forums that, to paraphrase Michael Crichton, the best place to live is "on the edge of chaos" (the extreme cases being chaotic and stagnant). Too much noise suppression means it's hard to get through the suppression. Not enough means it's hard to get through the noise. The right place is like a plateau between two cliffs--move too far in either direction, and it's a sudden dropoff. The location of the plateau is different for different situations--e.g. in the workplace, more control is appropriate.

There is a LOT of good signal in this message board, so we know we are safely on that plateau. The best strategy is to make minor, tentative changes only when we head toward one cliff or the other.

I suspect enforcing a search before a post would put us too close to a cliff. A safe alternative (that admittedly uses up more moderator time, so it's easy for me to say!) is actively consolidating duplicate threads.

Todd

LOL, can I get the cliff notes of the above post???? Or the English version :D :p ;) Just jazzin ya!!

The moderators do this job free of charge in addition to their "day jobs" and in many cases "night jobs"... so anything WE as members of this FREE community can do to make things easier and the boards run smoother, we ALL should be MORE than willing to do...

Todd

LOL!

Very cool ;)

There used to be someone on here that was a real active, annoying Search policer. God fobid if you asked something that was asked previously.

I don't remember what his name was, but also don't remember seeing him around lately.

Anyone remember?

77777 or something?

There used to be someone on here that was a real active, annoying Search policer. God fobid if you asked something that was asked previously.

I don't remember what his name was, but also don't remember seeing him around lately.

Anyone remember?

77777 or something?

LOL Pete, I think it was SevenVII, or something like that!!

I am fairly new to these boards, in fact this is the first message board I have ever used. I have used the search function everytime that I visit here and am always able to find something about the topic I am looking for. However, this being the case, if a requirement to do a search was required it seems to me that eventually there would be no reason to start a new thread except to possible post a review. since almost everything has been covered in one form or another. I have asked a few questions that have been asked again by others. Since you are not supposed to bump a thread, sometimes this is helpful to us newbies because different people read these boards at differnt times and sometimes the same question gets answered differently or more thouroughly at a later date. I am not trying to make any of you seasoned cruisers mad, but there is alot that we can learn from you guys and most of us just want to learn as much as we can before we begin to enjoy the cruising experience as much as you all have.

Just an opinion from a newbie

Thanks for listening

lynyrd

Archived