San Francisco Cruisers

aaerobear

And, welcome to the Gay & Lesbian Board of CC. It's always fun to check it out periodically and you'll garner a wealth of information here - first hand info, not cruise line PR.

Enjoy that Alaskan cruise, guys, and tell us all about it.

Gary

San Francisco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

We arent in SF, but not to far (Sacramento) We have booked 2008 to Alaska in September, and are waiting for Atlantis to post there 2009 Cruises, to see where to go next year.

Jason & Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

For those of you who may be interesed, the SS Independence left San Francisco Bay last month bound for Singapore. Walking down the hill from Buena Vista, I missed seeing her recently and just thought that new construction had blocked my view of her at China Basin. While flying over the City yesterday toward SFO, I saw that her berth was indeed empty. I found this link with the information about her departure from San Francisco. I've always been interested in her and enjoyed seeing her on my walks to the Casto. My first cruise was on her sister-ship the SS Constitution in the Hawaiin Islands. :)

http://www.maritimematters.com/independence.html

Jack

Jack.........Apparently you had a much, much better experience with American Hawaii Cruise Line than we did. We sailed on both the Independence and the Constitution and thought they were tubs....with the worst service, crew, and food, EVER (out of 37 cruise). We could go on and on about how awful they were but we won't bore you and others. The only pleasure we had on either ship was learning to play a uke, and the night the Captain summoned us to his table for dinner (for the only decent food we had in 2 weeks). I'm sure these ships were wonderful in their heyday, but they should have been taken out of service a lot sooner, in our opinion. Sorry for venting.

J & K

• 2 weeks later...

Even though departure is not until late August, I'm Just checking the group for those on this cruise on the Celebrity Constellation.

I think it would be great fun for those in the Bay Area on this cruise to meet in advance (say, mid-August) to chat and share war stories. The venue options are varied - meeting at a bar for a beer, picnicing at Dolores Park, etc. - depending on the number interested.

If you are interested in a pre-cruise "meet and greet," let me know. Since we're about 4 months away, I'll repeat this post from time to time for those who miss this original one.

In the interim, happy cruising, guys, whatever your itinerary. :)

Hello everyone,

I've been on CC doing some research for my upcoing cruise on Azamara's Journey, I found this thread and since I live in San Francisco I wanted to say hello and ask if anyone has cruised with Azamara, what did you think of it?

My partner and I are scheduled on the 5/5/08 Journey out of Venice, 11 nights to Barcelona. There is a Roll Call already going and I've posted one for LGBT but so far it seems we are it!!??

I'm looking forward to seeing some ships occupy Pier35 again, maybe meet for drinks next door and send the ships off properly?

I note you were on the Constellation last August. Care to provide a thumbnail review? Is the extra-fare restaurant worth it? If so, is it difficult to get a reservation? How is the general dining? Any other tips for first timers on this ship?

Thanks. :)

Gary, we've been on the Constellation twice, and love the ship...

We've always found the charge for the specialty restaurant worth it, but we've never gone to the specialty restaurant more than twice on a cruise...it's just a nice indulgence...food prepared for a much smaller group, and done well. And the cheese course is wonderful! Fun way to dine with folks you meet who aren't at your table in the main dining room, too. Easy enough to get reservations. Captain's Club folks can make one res. ahead of time, up to 60 days before the cruise, but I've known folks who decided to eat there every night, and were accomodated. Just see teh Maitre d' immediately after boarding. Even when they didn't have the exact time, they called us later to say that they'd worked it out. Also, people do cancel, so if you ever got stuck, you could just ask them to let you know. One note is that, if you do eat there multiple times, the chef will have some additions to the menu for you, so you're not choosing from the same entrees every time.

While I've worn a path from my cabin to the Martini Bar, one of the other places I LOVE is the aft deck on deck 10- a great place for breakfast, lunch, for a pre-dinner drink, or for sushi. And you can watch the wake.

Also, lunch at the Aqua Spa cafe was always good- a little healthier, given all the excess everywhere else- service there is from the same staff as the specialty restaurant.

Thallasotherapy pool is wonderful, and I like the treadmills facing forward in the gym...but if you're over 6', you have a view of the roman shades directly in front of you rather than the sea!;)

We also liked the roomy feel of this ship (and its sisters) and never felt crowded with that many passengers. The only 'complaint' is that I'm not as fond of the art work on her as compared to Infinity, but, really, it's so minor a complaint, and some people LIKE the gorilla looking over the pool. :D

Have fun.

Andrew

Constellation review is much appreciated. I've printed it and added it to my Atlantis travel docuements (such as they are at this point in time) to take with me.

I'll try to avoid lingering over the art work and hit the gym treadmills in stead. ;)

And I'll look for your honorary bar stool at the Martini Bar and keep it warm for your next voyage aboard the Constellation.

I note you were on the Constellation last August. Care to provide a thumbnail review? Is the extra-fare restaurant worth it? If so, is it difficult to get a reservation? How is the general dining? Any other tips for first timers on this ship?

All in all the ship was great, really enjoyed ourselves, the food was pretty good from the buffet, to the pool side grill and dining room. If you didn't like something, they tried to make it right. The specialty restaurant is a must especially for a special occasion, only $30pp which is a really good deal when you compare what you get to what you would pay in a major city restaurant. For an additional $30pp you can get a wine paring which I recommend because it really did enhance the meal.

My favorite parts of the ship were the aft deck during sail away, the bar servers had steel trap memories and would bring us our drinks without having to order! I do like the steam and Sauna, the mens locker room has a large sauna with a large circular window great for watching the water go by as you sweat your cares away. The steam room is coed and there is a charge to use it.

Any of Celebrity's Milennium class ships are great in my opinion.

Hey, SF Cruisers. I'm on the Constellation for Atlantis's London/Barcelona cruise over Labor Day. I've gotten a few dining, bar and spa tips on the ship (since I'm a Constellation virgin), but for those of you who have sailed on her, is there a passenger self-service laundry onboard? If so, I'll take fewer clothes and do laundry mid-cruise on a day at sea or one of the days when I remain on the ship at a port-of-call.

Nope. Only send out...prices are comparable with home (for us at least) for shirts, pants, jackets, etc., but the charges for socks, underwear, etc., seem high. Then again, it's easy to pack more of the latter, or go with out!

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Love talking cruising.

We leave for Europe on the 15th - taking the QE2 from Rome - Southampton and then transfer to QM2 for a crossing. (yea!)

Nothing booked after that -- but thining that the Baltics are in our future in the next year or two.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The Golden Princess, Brian??? Gee, I always thought of you as a "small ship" kinda guy...LOL. Hope it was fun.
I am - but its becoming more and more difficult to cruise Princess on small ships...we'll see how long I stick with 'em.

• 5 weeks later...

Any Bay Area cruisers on Atlantis's Labor Day cruise from London to Barcelona? Want to "meet & greet" in advance of the departure date at a Castro bar?

How about Sunday, August 17th, at 2:30 in the back courtyard of MIX on 18th Street?

For the Alums, let's share Atlantis/RSVP stories. For the newbies, let's answer their questions. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

For any Atlantis London/Barcelona Labor Day cruisers (and any other SF Cruisers who'd like to join us):

Sunday, August 17th

2:30 PM

No Host Bar

Back Garden of MIX bar in the Castro on 18th.

Be there or be square. :p

• 2 months later...

Hey Everyone,

The Star Princess arrived in drydock today at Pier 70 and is scheduled to be here until October 11. I saw it today on my way down 15th Street and it looks huge. Hope you all are enjoying the great weather! :)

Jack