Hurricane Hilary

Ranyw

Let me start out by saying that I'm new to the whole hurricane thing, my family is fairly new to cruising. I had no idea that we can even get hurricanes on the west coast ( Mexican riviera) LOL !!! I know we're in capable hands and all. We are departing on the spirit tomorrow and it looks like rain everywhere, but I'm sure a rainy day on a cruise beats a sunny day at work! However I'm just worried our 9 day cruise will be a "cruise to nowhere"... Will they redirect us to different ports? How early will we know ? Anyone have some experience so they can shed light on the subject?

Let me start out by saying that I'm new to the whole hurricane thing, my family is fairly new to cruising. I had no idea that we can even get hurricanes on the west coast ( Mexican riviera) LOL !!! I know we're in capable hands and all. We are departing on the spirit tomorrow and it looks like rain everywhere, but I'm sure a rainy day on a cruise beats a sunny day at work! However I'm just worried our 9 day cruise will be a "cruise to nowhere"... Will they redirect us to different ports? How early will we know ? Anyone have some experience so they can shed light on the subject?

We cruised with a hurricane a couple years ago on the Splendor. We had a slight itinerary change (can't even remember what it was now), but they handed us a flier when we checked in with the changes, and then the captain kept us informed and made further changes as the cruise went along. They of course keep the ship and everyone safe and will do what is needed, on ours they loaded extra food and fuel in case we had to go farther out to sea than planned, but that ended up not happening since the hurricane changed direction a bit and died sooner than thought. We had one night that was pretty rough, but otherwise not many problems (the pool was really splashing one day tho). Don't worry, you will be kept informed. Here's your path : http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep4.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Simply put, they will dodge the storm.

If necessary, they may change your itinerary or ports of call. It just depends on what the storm does and how close it comes to your cruise path.

Don't worry, the captain's are very smart people. They will avoid a hurricane at all costs. Just be flexible if you're sailing when one is in the vacinity!

Archived