car rental

jcool

Is their a place to rent a car at the cruise port?

Yes, there is a car rental company called Stoutes. We are renting from them when we go on our cruise in December. http://www.stoutescar.com Here is what they said about their location:

We are located just outside the (cruise)terminal, our booth has a sign on the outside saying Stoutes Car Rental, if you can't find it I am sure anyone will be happy to show you where it is.

Yes, there is a car rental company called Stoutes. We are renting from them when we go on our cruise in December. www.stoutescar.com Here is what they said about their location:

We are located just outside the (cruise)terminal, our booth has a sign on the outside saying Stoutes Car Rental, if you can't find it I am sure anyone will be happy to show you where it is.

We have used them once....

• 2 weeks later...
Can you elaborate on your experience, with the car company and the driving itself? How did you find the roads and ease of getting around? We are planning to head to Harrison's Cave and Bathsheba.

When are you sailing? that is exact thing we were thinking of doing, so considering Stoutes also. I know exactly where they are but the above post with "rented from them once..." has me wondering.

I know it is left side driving, have plans for a map, and a gps.

We are sailing March 11th so if you sail before ...please post what you did and how.

I did a quick rental quote and seems to be about $111 for a car 4 people (jeep) car class when we sail in March, cave is $30 x4 so $230+ or so. Thru Carnival just for cave excursion is $80 x4= $320 so driving would give us some flexibility. Any thoughts from other cruisers and ability to navigate island. DH has driven in many countries just not on the left!

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing Dec 8 I will definitely post my experience afterwards. I booked a small automatic car for 4 with Stoutes and it was $86 including the permit. If we took a taxi tour it would probably cost that much per person. I realize the benefits of a taxi tour of course but we thought it would be neat to try do this on our own and see how we make out, we're a little adventurous that way. :)

We are sailing Dec 8 I will definitely post my experience afterwards. I booked a small automatic car for 4 with Stoutes and it was $86 including the permit. If we took a taxi tour it would probably cost that much per person. I realize the benefits of a taxi tour of course but we thought it would be neat to try do this on our own and see how we make out, we're a little adventurous that way. :)

Wondering if you "rented" the gps they offer at Stoutes, downloading a map to your own gps, or bringing a map? We are planning rental for March and so looking forward to your experience.

Would you post what time ship lets you off, and how early you started journey?

also-what you managed to see and what not so worth going the distance to.Thanks.

We are considering cave reservations,Chatel Village Holetown, Bathsheba,Accra Beach-just have to pick what is realistic for the day and from others feedback.

Wondering if you "rented" the gps they offer at Stoutes, downloading a map to your own gps, or bringing a map? We are planning rental for March and so looking forward to your experience.

also-what you managed to see and what not so worth going the distance to.Thanks.

We are considering cave reservations,Chatel Village Holetown, Bathsheba,Accra Beach-just have to pick what is realistic for the day and from others feedback.

I did not go with the GPS offered by Stoutes. I am in Vancouver and a previous poster from Vancouver said he bought a map, I found out where that map store is so I'm going to take a look and buy it if it's good. Our friends have a GPS, but I'm not sure if the Caribbean island maps would be available to download, I'll have to look into it. If you have a GPS you might want to look into that too. If it is doable and not too expensive, it might be worth doing. We are going to Harrison's Cave, and Bathsheba and maybe a beach on the west coast if there is time. I read other posts saying all the cruise ship tours go to Harrison's in the morning so it might be wiser to get there in the afternoon instead.

• 3 weeks later...

We have rented a car in Barbados twice before at the port and have reservations with Stoutes in December. We have never been to Harrison's Cave. We have been to the Animal Flower Cave on the northern coast, and plan to visit there again. Aside from the roundabouts, the roads remind us a lot of driving on country roads in the hills of Tennessee. Here is a good link to learn more about the things to see in Barbados. http://www.visitbarbados.org/map.aspx. We love the northern and eastern sides of the island. Very picturesque. To be honest, on our first visit, we did hire a taxi driver who showed us a lot. The second and third times: we went on Catamarans. Our fourth time: we walked from the port to downtown area. (We will never do that again). Our last two visits: car rentals. Whatever you decide, have fun with it. The people there are truly helpful and friendly. (Except when you don't do the roundabout correctly - then they honk loudly).

We have rented a car in Barbados twice before at the port and have reservations with Stoutes in December. Our last two visits: car rentals. Whatever you decide, have fun with it. The people there are truly helpful and friendly. (Except when you don't do the roundabout correctly - then they honk loudly).

Used to roundabouts here in Carmel--I think city in US with the most of them--just have to do them "backward" driving on the left. Yes--it is not a "friendly" honk here either.

Please let me know when ship docks, how long it takes to get a car at Stoutes and your opinion of the service. Thinking of making a cave reservation and wondering if 9:30am is reasonable.

Archived