QE2 .. missing in action...

roscoe39

If you have been to Dubai lately you would not have much confidence in anything much happening in the near future.

David.

Well, you're correct about that. Last October I was in Dubai, and quite frankly I couldn't wait to leave.

I do not think they could employ ruder people at their airports if they tried.

Here's an article published Sept. 28,2011 about the new location of QE2 in Dubai (apparently, she is to remain in the Port Rashid area):

http://www.thenational.ae/business/property/houses-to-replace-qe2-on-the-palm

also http://www.thenational.ae/business/property/qe2-palm-jumeirah-plan-out-as-nakheel-floats-townhouse-project-instead

Hi Roscoe,

where exactly did you look for QE2? Last year she moved from the berth she had been on in Port Rashid since she arrived in Dubai. She was moved to a berth in the Inner Harbour, the reason given at the time being that she was had to be shifted to free up the Port Rashid berth for container traffic.

She was visible at her new berth on the Deira Corniche webam but, for some reason, that doesn't appear to be transmitting live images at the moment. Nevertheless I saw her clearly visible on an image taken by that cam on 29th August 2011 so she could well be still there. Interestingly, given the stated reason for her move, the container cranes at her former berth appear to be absent and the berths at that particular quay appeared to be occupied by naval auxiliaries.

thanks J, i fly back over dubai in a couple of weeks so will recheck. Been a couple of great cruises, Mrs Brown is working admirably, we left some passengers in Venice who were late for departure, they had to pick up the ship in Split, and Ashod has been cancelled for the current cruise due to Security concerns...we will have an extra day in Haifa. Thats pleased some of the crew who have organised a big bus for the big night out in Tel Aviv....there may be some sore heads for Egypt the following day. Best regards Roscoe

I was certainly not implying, and did no say, that Cunard was in any way negligent, or that they should have retained QE2. I did not say anything about setting up a museum or floating hotel.

My point was that Cunard transferred the destiny of the ship to others, which was a quite natural business transaction. They did not have the affection shown to her by many on this forum. If you have been to Dubai lately you would not have much confidence in anything much happening in the near future.

David.

My son returned 2 weeks ago from a business trip to Dubai. This was his first trip post economic downturn. He said it was quite shocking. Cranes everywhere, terrible pollution, and engineering projects completely abandoned.

It's doubtful that QE2 is foremost on their list of priorities. I believe they are hoping to be able to rely on oil revenues from Abu Dhabi. The Burj Dubai is finally completed, but he said just about everything else remains as it was pre crash.

• 2 weeks later...

No other shipping company that I'm aware of preserves their old ships as museums or floating hotels - and no one expects them to.

To my mind, I think it's appropriate that Cunard sell off it's outdated ships and build new ones. I certainly don't want my ticket price, or the level of service I receive, to be compromised by legacy debts to old ships.

imagine stationary floating hotels!

or short, port intensive cruises around the UK & Ireland, the fjords, etc etc

• 4 weeks later...

Archived