Smoking on Allure of the Seas

Grumpy100

It won't be long until they change the ruling since the majority of people find it unhealthful & very annoying, especially when paying to something their denied the use of. [/Quote]

I respectfully ask: Do you realize that what you have posted does not make logical sense? If a person knowingly books a balcony on a line that permits smoking on the balconies, and chooses not to use that balcony because of a smoking neighbor, how are they being denied the use of the balcony?

Just as we choose RCI and book a balcony so that DH can smoke, those who are militantly against smoking can choose either another cruise line or a non-balcony cabin.

Clearly, this is a matter of choice

teddie

You obviously are more tolerant than most other non smokers. Either you are a smoker or live with one.

It won't be long until they change the ruling since the majority of people find it unhealthful & very annoying, especially when paying to something their denied the use of.

When in port the smoke can go in either directions at times. I sure this is what they meant, although we very often can smell smokers from 2 or 3 decks below & forward of us as the air currents are not always straight back.

I am not and have never been a smoker and neither is my husband. You know what they say about people that assume......Smoking is a nasty habit however on a ship moving 25 knots its not like a cloud sits over your balcony and stays there. Like I already said people just want to complain because they want them to ban smoking altogether. IMO it is a non issue but people have to complain about something.

I am not and have never been a smoker and neither is my husband. You know what they say about people that assume......Smoking is a nasty habit however on a ship moving 25 knots its not like a cloud sits over your balcony and stays there. Like I already said people just want to complain because they want them to ban smoking altogether. IMO it is a non issue but people have to complain about something.

Well you are certainly more tolerant than most people. I realize that if a cruise line allows smoking on a balcony you can't do much about it if there is a problem but I'll continue to join the numerous people who do complain & someday they will listen just like Celebrity & Princess.

I so agree with you. I have never smoked and I do not care if others do.

Smoking is a nasty habit however on a ship moving 25 knots its not like a cloud sits over your balcony and stays there. Like I already said people just want to complain because they want them to ban smoking altogether. IMO it is a non issue but people have to complain about something.

I agree well said.

Former smoker here. Always book a balcony, typically have a smoker somewhere in the vicinity (never bothered to check exactly where), and never had it ruin my morning/day/trip. I'll get a quick whiff and then...poof, it's gone. When in port it can linger a bit and become a different story, but it's not enough to make me want to say something or voice a complaint.

I'm on Oasis in a couple of months and have a feeling I will be spending a bit less time on the balcony just because there is sooooo very much to see and explore. If you can't tolerate the smell maybe you should consider another line. That is a lot of money to spend and to be doubtful about your experience...

On Celebrity you have the right to call security about smoking.On Royal Caribbean it is allowed you can't call security.If you decide to get a balcony on a ship that allows smoking on the balcony it's your problem.:confused: :confused:
I know that...as I said smoke does not bother me. There are constant complaints from those who choose lines where you can smoke on the balcony or someone worried about it....and isn't this the reason why this thread started to begin with?? I agree it certainly is the person's problem. There are probably some people who really don't have issues with smoke but just want to complain....they want things done THEIR way because it is THEIR vacation.:rolleyes:

We just booked Allure of the Seas on an ocean view balcony. When I called to book and found out that they allow smoking on the balcony but not inside the cabin. But I talked to several people and they said that they had already been on this ship and had balconies they did not have problem with the annoyance of people smoking.

We shall see.

Any thoughts on anyone out there that has experienced others smoking on the adjacent balconies that drifted over to their balcony and caused problems. :confused:

Some background on me, then I'll give my experience about the subject. I'm an avid non-smoker who has worked on smoking bans here in Ohio. I've had 6 cruises, 5 with balconies and had no real problems with smokers. While I hate smoking, I work within the rules and am comfortable with the way RCI handles it. On the 5 cruises with balconies, I've never had an adjacent cabin that had someone chain smoking. When there is a person in the adjacent balcony smoking, it usually only lasts for 5 minutes. If I want time on the balcony at that point I go in for a few minutes and then come back out. Smokers have never prevented me from enjoying my balcony. I'm fortunate in some scenarios haven't happened like large groups where there is almost always someone out there smoking, or someone smoking cigar after cigar.

Speficially, on Allure we were on deck 12 and I did see the balcony just aft of me did have an ash tray on the table up against the railing, but I never saw anyone out there, though it was used. On occasion I would get a quick whiff of someone, but that was barely noticeable. The people in the cabin to the forward of us were non-smokers

I do not smoke, but my DH does. .

As the smoking rate declines, and I hope continues to do so, this is more and more common. What is even rarer is entire cabins where everyone is a smoker and they spend a lot of time together on the balcony. I'm guessing in her case, he catches a cigarette while she is getting ready for something, then they go and spend their time together. As mentioned in a previous post, its been a non-issue for me with 5 balcony cruises (30 days). I can easily estimate on those 30 days I've spent at least 45 hours on my balcony and in that time, I've probably avoided the balcony no more than 30 minutes total because of a a smoker.

I just thought I would try to quantify my experience with numbers to relate how little of an issue it has been for me. You can see the cruises below in my signature. The 2007 cruise on Majesty was the only non-balcony room.

I'm close to Diamond plus, so I've had good and bad experiences with smoke. I am highly sensitive and at times could not use my balcony at all. However, I won't let it ruin my cruise. What I found really horrible on the Allure was the smoke wafting up from Boleros into the Diamond Lounge. What a lousy location. The Freedom Class has much nicer Diamond Lounges. Also, there was an employee smoking area outside the gym and it smelled AWFUL in there. I complained to everyone in uniform and on the third day, it stopped. The trainers thanked me; they were suffering terribly.

Try going on Princess after Jan 15 & you'll have a smoke free cabin and balcony. The days of paying extra for a balcony & not being able to fully use it will be over.:)

You do realize that you proved the smokers point here correct? They paid "extra for a balcony", on a line that permits smoking on the balcony, and are "fully using it" when they are smoking out there.

I have serious, serious credibility issues with the folks who claim total inability to use their balcony on a cruise due to smoke. It is simply not possible that in the course of three, four, five, seven or more 24 hour periods for the balcony to be covered in a cloud of smoke so thick that they can't step out their door. Impossible. They may not like the smell of smoke, they may believe smoking is going to kill us all, they may just like telling other people how they should live their lives. They are not totally and completely prevented from ever going on their balcony. Can't buy it. Oh well, deep breath. Now I want a cigar. :p Enjoy your cruise, your balcony, your smoke, Jim

You do realize that you proved the smokers point here correct? They paid "extra for a balcony", on a line that permits smoking on the balcony, and are "fully using it" when they are smoking out there.

I have serious, serious credibility issues with the folks who claim total inability to use their balcony on a cruise due to smoke. It is simply not possible that in the course of three, four, five, seven or more 24 hour periods for the balcony to be covered in a cloud of smoke so thick that they can't step out their door. Impossible. They may not like the smell of smoke, they may believe smoking is going to kill us all, they may just like telling other people how they should live their lives. They are not totally and completely prevented from ever going on their balcony. Can't buy it. Oh well, deep breath. Now I want a cigar. :p Enjoy your cruise, your balcony, your smoke, Jim

As a smoker you obviously can't see the irritating problem that smoke presents to the non smokers in the group. It doesn't have to be a cloud of smoke to be annoying or unhealthful & being on a balcony at times it's almost impossible to sit there for any time without different people upwind lighting up at various times in succession.

Being denied the use of something is good reason to complain & someday they will listen since the majority of cruisers will continue to voice their opinions till something is done about the problem.

As a smoker you obviously can't see the irritating problem that smoke presents to the non smokers in the group. It doesn't have to be a cloud of smoke to be annoying or unhealthful & being on a balcony at times it's almost impossible to sit there for any time without different people upwind lighting up at various times in succession.

Being denied the use of something is good reason to complain & someday they will listen since the majority of cruisers will continue to voice their opinions till something is done about the problem.

I am a non smoker and I am not irritated or complain if someone is smoking in a smoking area.

Maybe you should play bingo or something instead of running around on the ship video taping the smokers. One day you will be videoing the wrong person and you may end up swimming with the sharks. I tell my husband the same thing when he has road rage when driving - let it go.

This makes me want to take up smoking, book a cabin next to you and just light up one cigarette after another just to annoy you.

Again, no one is denying you anything. You knew of the potential of having smokers nearby when you booked your balcony. Your predictions of the demise of smoking on balconies may very well come true. But, till then......

teddie

This makes me want to take up smoking, book a cabin next to you and just light up one cigarette after another just to annoy you.

That is a little exteme, why not try some good ole *arting. :).

Seriously, I never ever worry about someone smoking on the balconies.

YES, we just returned from a wonderful week on the Allure. We were in cabin 7178, balcony. Everything was perfect EXCEPT we had a cigar smoker on one side and a cigarette smoker on the other. Why we paid extra money for the balcony that we could not use is beyond me. This is the ONLY complaint I have! I can put up with a little crowding, but paying hundreds of dollars extra for the privilege of having a balcony that I did not use is VERY frustrating. RCI are you listening??? We did complain to our stateroom attendant about the cigar smoking and it did seem to stop after the 4th day or so but the cigarettes were an issue throughout. Some people close to me are smokers so I understand but YOU all need to understand that when you smoke on your balcony you are affecting ME and that's unfair and inconsiderate.

Well, we pay $600 extra so that we have a balcony to smoke on SO, hmmm well you figure it out!

I am a non smoker and I am not irritated or complain if someone is smoking in a smoking area.

Maybe you should play bingo or something instead of running around on the ship video taping the smokers. One day you will be videoing the wrong person and you may end up swimming with the sharks. I tell my husband the same thing when he has road rage when driving - let it go.

Yea right. No one is videoing any thing on the ship - ever. LOL :D

The only time it's bothersome is when I'm on my balcony & their smoke invades my space.

Yea right. No one is videoing any thing on the ship - ever. LOL :D

The only time it's bothersome is when I'm on my balcony & their smoke invades my space.

This is pointless. You can rant and rave all you want here and it will not make a difference. All this talk about what is "right" and what is "fair" completely ignores the fact that people who book a balcony on an RCCL ship do so knowing that smoking is permitted. The bottom line is the smokers paid for their balcony cabins and are well within their rights to smoke on them if they choose. They can smoke one cigarette a day or spend their entire vacation chain smoking. Anyone that can’t deal with this has three choices; 1) book another line, 2) book a non-balcony cabin or 3) wait until RCCL changes their policy.

So you will wander the ship filming people not following the rules? What a sad vacation. Its just petty. I just don't understand the need to be so involved in what random strangers are doing. My only concern when vacationing is the people I am traveling with. You should try it.

Did you major in drama? I created fun thread called Meet the "Allure chair hogs" after buying a new camera on my stop in St Maarten and it was part of how I spent that afternoon playing with my camera. Gee, I'm so sad.

This is pointless. You can rant and rave all you want here and it will not make a difference. All this talk about what is "right" and what is "fair" completely ignores the fact that people who book a balcony on an RCCL ship do so knowing that smoking is permitted. The bottom line is the smokers paid for their balcony cabins and are well within their rights to smoke on them if they choose. They can smoke one cigarette a day or spend their entire vacation chain smoking. Anyone that can’t deal with this has three choices; 1) book another line, 2) book a non-balcony cabin or 3) wait until RCCL changes their policy.

You're 100 % right about people having the right to smoke on their balcony and I am sure that at this time any complaints will be just ignored. I will still continue to to complain about their rule & encourage anyone else to also speak up for their rights to a smoke free balcony also. You can continue to enjoy your right to pollute the air for all those around you but the day of a smoke free balcony on RCCL isn't that far in the future.

I don't get to cruise as much as some. I get so excited, even at almost 300 days before we cruise again. When I finally get on the ship, I see people that break lines, chair hogs, people touching food in the WJ, etc. I can't imagine with all my excitement and the enjoyment I get out of a cruise including filming rule breakers or things that annoy me. We burn a DVD of every single cruise. It's filled with our photos of the islands, the excursions, the cabin, the balcony, the activities and it's such a joy to re-live our cruise. Why would anyone want to re-live "How I Spent My Time on XXX Ship: empty chairs with a time-line, children running, smoke drifting, elevator hogs??

Why would anyone want to re-live "How I Spent My Time on XXX Ship: empty chairs with a time-line, children running, smoke drifting, elevator hogs??

Because if smoking problem was corrected on balconies it would make that ship that much more enjoyable and healthy for the majority of cruisers.

Because if smoking problem was corrected on balconies it would make that ship that much more enjoyable and healthy for the majority of cruisers.

OK. We get your position. Clearly. Further discussion seems pointless.

teddie

Archived