Should I rent a car and see more of Aruba?

kepster

We will be in Aruba in Dec from 8am - 6pm (aboard the CB).

Trying to decide if we should bother with renting a car to explore a bit or if we should bus/beach it, or possibly use a taxi?

Aside from spending an hour or so exploring Oranjestad on foot we'd like to hang out at Eagle Beach for 2 or 3 hours (I understand across from Amsterdam Manor is a good spot) - maybe walk along Palm Beach (is there a foot path connecting the resorts?) - if we had the car we'd explore north/northeast to the lighthouse, Alto Vista, and possibly evenback to Ayo and the Hooiberg for some hiking around/views. Is this trying to cram too much into a day? I have concerns about things like parking - how easy is it to park along Eagle/Palm Beach - do you pay to park at the resorts?

Would we be better off taking a bus to just Eagle Beach and relaxing? Maybe then a taxi tour for an hour or so to see the above sights? So confused! Any advice or similar experiences would be appreciated :)

You could pretty easily rent a car and tour at your own pace.

For first time visitors though I usually suggest a guided tour so that you know what you are seeing :), get some history and details you may miss of what lies in between. ;)

I would take a private taxi tour with pick up at your ship and then a first stop at Eagle beach for a photo at the famous Fofoti (Divi Divi) Tree.

From there continue with your tour culminating with drop off at Palm Beach. Here you could spend sometime on the beach, walk from resort to resort on the concrete "boardwalk" and perhaps take in some lunch.

Afterwards take a taxi or the bus to Eagle beach for a drink on the beach at the Amsterdam Manor beach bar or directly back to Oranjestad for shopping.

I would make the shopping my LOWEST priority. Except for the vendors selling some local items from the stalls on the waterfront there are many other Caribbean ports which offer much more in the way of "bargains". More and more imo, the stores in Oranjestad beside the jewelers, cater to the South American tourists who cannot get the "name brands" or "signature labels" that we are able to get here in the U.S.

I totally agree with Arubalisa. Taking a taxi tour will be much easier and informative. You won't have to worry about parking or traffic.

I have been to Aruba many times, and shopping is no big deal. There's nothing special that you can't get anywhere else and, despite what others post, there are no bargains, or really any real local handicrafts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do we just hire someone to take us on a taxi tour when we get off the ship or should I book something ahead of time? Do all the taxi drivers at the port offer history and other info while taking you somewhere?

Would an hour or two enable us to see the places I mentioned?

Parking along Palm beach street side is hit or miss. Earlier in the day there are some parking spaces street side south of the Radisson resort. Eagle beach is the same, you should be able to find a spot and just might need to walk a short ways to get to exactly where you would like.

You could fit your sightseeing into 2 hours for what you stated except probably Hooiberg.

There will more than likely be taxis available for tours. I only suggest Bully because I know that he is reliable and has an excellent reputation http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=606744

We have rented a car the last 3 times we were there and plan to rent one again. It is very easy to get around especially if you stick to the main roads.

If this is a first tour I would suggest to book with a guide - many many at the dock so you will see the main attractions.

But if you have been to Aruba before and want to see some different sites or just spend the amount of time you want at a site then renting is the way.

Each time we rent we go to the natural bridge, the chapel, the lighthouse and to the beach but we have been many places that one would not go to with a tour guide.

Among places we have gone to - pet cemetery, Mary shrine built into stone wall, prison, love cave, live firing range, donkey sanctuary, drove over the dunes and much more.

There are car rental facilities right at the doc

• 2 months later...
We have rented a car the last 3 times we were there and plan to rent one again. It is very easy to get around especially if you stick to the main roads.

If this is a first tour I would suggest to book with a guide - many many at the dock so you will see the main attractions.

But if you have been to Aruba before and want to see some different sites or just spend the amount of time you want at a site then renting is the way.

Each time we rent we go to the natural bridge, the chapel, the lighthouse and to the beach but we have been many places that one would not go to with a tour guide.

Among places we have gone to - pet cemetery, Mary shrine built into stone wall, prison, love cave, live firing range, donkey sanctuary, drove over the dunes and much more.

There are car rental facilities right at the doc

What car rental facilities have you used? I gather there is no Hertz booth there? Thanks! Would like to have it set up ahead of time if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... I'll be in Aruba the first week of June with my 18 year old son, his GF and his best friend celebrating my son's graduation from high school. I've been considering renting a car so the four of us can take in all of the sights and then possibly go to a beach for an hour or so of relaxation. You've mentioned several things that sound interesting to see and I was just wondering if these places are easy to find on the island. Is there a map that lists all of these places or did you just find them as you were out sightseeing? I'd love to put together an itinerary/map before we go so that I don't waste too much of our day driving around lost. Our ship will be in port from 8:00 - 4:00. Will this be enough time to see these sights, return the car and have an hour at a beach? Or, should I hire a private tour guide and ask him to take me to these particular places and then just drop us off at the beach? Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi... I'll be in Aruba the first week of June with my 18 year old son, his GF and his best friend celebrating my son's graduation from high school. I've been considering renting a car so the four of us can take in all of the sights and then possibly go to a beach for an hour or so of relaxation. You've mentioned several things that sound interesting to see and I was just wondering if these places are easy to find on the island. Is there a map that lists all of these places or did you just find them as you were out sightseeing?
A good map like the Borch Map will get you where you have to go.

41KwKAsJ8ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you have a Garmin you can download the add on GPSTraveler Garmin Venrut Maps of Venezuela Routable v.11.04

Our ship will be in port from 8:00 - 4:00. Will this be enough time to see these sights, return the car and have an hour at a beach? Or, should I hire a private tour guide and ask him to take me to these particular places and then just drop us off at the beach? Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thank you :)
Time will depend upon how many stops and for how long.

If you were going to be there later in the day I might think it were more worthwhile. You can take a private taxi tour customized to your liking for $45 per hour and then finish by having the driver drop you off at the beach. More info at Sonny or Bully ? or Recommendations for indepenent tour

companies

Another idea is to check out ABC Jeep Tours http://www.abc-aruba.com/. You son would love it!

Another idea is to check out ABC Jeep Tours http://www.abc-aruba.com/. You son would love it!

The ABC Jeep Tours sounds really fun and you're right... my son would enjoy something like that. I think he would love the natural pool for sure! I'll contact them as well as Sonny & Bully to see which I think works out better money/time wise. Thank you for the help!

Archived