To Jim and Stan ..re Oceania suite on Marina

silkman

I can't tell you how helpful you have been to helping us decide which suite to reserve. The best thing was when you provided the room layout of the aft suite - I had not seen the double sinks in the bathroom before and I am just thrilled to have two sinks! (I know that seems really weird but I like a bathroom with two sinks.)

BTW, your original comment on the sound in the media room was something we will remember for when we are on board - we don't want our fellow passengers disillusioned by our loud music!

Thanks again for all your help!

If you like two sinks, you are going to LOVE being in an Oceania Suite. That vanity is the size of an aircraft carrier and the medicine chests are ridiculously huge.

185743.jpg

Many Thanks, Sunbeam and Rustyspanner for your kind comments about my photographs ((Blush)). We loved "our" Oceania Suite and know that you will too.

Happy Cruising! :D

• 2 months later...

We have booked 11080 on Marina for the Athens to Barcelona cruise leaving 5/2/12. We are both extensively traveled, but this will be our first cruise. I am considering upgrading from the Oceania Suite to a Vista Suite. However, the aft Oceania suite looks absolutely as nice as the vista suite; the only differences seem to be the aft view in the Oceania suite and the exercise room in the Vista Suite (which seems a little odd to me, to be honest). The deck looks bigger in vista, but doesn't have a lot of shade. We both prefer having shade. Do you have any advice about choosing between the two? Thanks in advance. Walt and Joe.

10001 (a VS) in October 2012 had plenty of shade ... of course, at that time of year we weren't really sitting outside much! Also, it was a VERY port intensive cruise so there was little time to do so.

We're booked in 11080 for November 2013 and I for one would prefer the exercise equipment to the media room, but such is life! I'm sure we'll be very happy in the OC. If you change to the VS, be sure to take a course in Light Switches and Their Operation before you go!

Mura

We have booked 11080 on Marina for the Athens to Barcelona cruise leaving 5/2/12. We are both extensively traveled, but this will be our first cruise. I am considering upgrading from the Oceania Suite to a Vista Suite. However, the aft Oceania suite looks absolutely as nice as the vista suite; the only differences seem to be the aft view in the Oceania suite and the exercise room in the Vista Suite (which seems a little odd to me, to be honest). The deck looks bigger in vista, but doesn't have a lot of shade. We both prefer having shade. Do you have any advice about choosing between the two? Thanks in advance. Walt and Joe.

104702.jpg This is the bridgefront of the Marina. The deck above each Vista Suite Veranda overhangs by about 3 feet, which has an awning effect on the windows of the Suite, but the Verandas offer little shade.

005943.jpg In the deck 11 (Aft) Oceania Suites (look right below the orange umbrellas on the Terrace of the restaurant), the portion of the veranda which faces aft may be sunny or shady, but on the "side" section of the veranda, the deeper overhang comes into play.

092821.jpg Otherwise both Suites are superb, although we also personally prefer the Media Room in the Oceania Suites.

Friends sailing with us who took the Vista, reported that the cushions from the outdoor furniture were stored from dusk until dawn IN their Exercise Room, rendering it unusable after dark.

((Sigh)) One thing that we haven't discussed yet is the difference in the views:

062306.jpg035438.jpg

Enjoy making your decision-

We will be on the Marina in 11080 in June on the British Isles cruise, so if you stay in 11080,let us know how you like it. We have been in the owners suites on the Insignia which is in a similar location. The only drawback was it was below the Terrace restaurant(as is 11080) and we did hear them moving chairs and tables above us early in the morning. However J@S hasve assured me they heard nothing in 11080.

One drawback in the vista suites is that they are forward and may be more prone to motion sickness ...but I have no personal experience to verify this.

As far as the gym vs. media room , I would prefer the gym , but I'll persevere with the media room:rolleyes:.

Thanks, JimandStan. I like the distance view from the Vista suite, but I find the empty bow with the blue surface a little off-putting. I think having two views, port and aft, seems nice. Honestly, I'd prefer that they didn't chop up the footprint for either media room or gym; but the gym doesn't seem a compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. Silkman, I'll post some pics and let you know what I think about the suite in May. Can't wait.

Thanks, JimandStan. I like the distance view from the Vista suite, but I find the empty bow with the blue surface a little off-putting. I think having two views, port and aft, seems nice. Honestly, I'd prefer that they didn't chop up the footprint for either media room or gym; but the gym doesn't seem a compelling reason to upgrade to Vista. Silkman, I'll post some pics and let you know what I think about the suite in May. Can't wait.

We have a special fondness for those Aft Oceania Suites, so in our humble opinion(s), you did the right thing.

The Living Room of those suites are so capacious, that you won't miss the square footage of the media room; in fact, although it is counterintuitive, having the television in a separate room makes the Suite feel much larger

By the way Walt and Joe, don't forget the camera on your 5/2 sailing as the wrap around veranda of 11080 might wind up being a photo platform for a momentous event...

fincantieri_riviera.jpg Riviera, the second ship of the O class, and the sister-ship of the Marina is being named in Barcelona on May 11.

On that same day, the Marina (with you aboard) departs Provence at 5PM bound for Barcelona.

174809.jpg

It sounds like the perfect scenario for a dramatic, nighttime first meeting of the sisters........perhaps with fireworks...... (the Marina was given a huge fireworks display on the evening of her naming ceremony).

Bon Voyage!

What are you guys doing November of next year?

Wanna join us aboard Riviera?

:D

Hey Brian!

We'd love to see you again, but November is tough for us.

Are you doing the Med or the Transatlantic?

Hey.........Will this be your first Oceania experience?

Just got notification of a cancellation and an inexpensive upgrade to owner's suite! we're in 10111. Now I truly can't do anything but dream about the trip. I guess I'm glad that some people were frightened away by the recent ship mishaps in the med.

Just got notification of a cancellation and an inexpensive upgrade to owner's suite! we're in 10111. Now I truly can't do anything but dream about the trip. I guess I'm glad that some people were frightened away by the recent ship mishaps in the med.

What amazing luck! I'm hoping that you plan to entertain in your music room!

130938.jpg130954.jpg

You'll have your own private bar. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity , what was the charge for upgrading?

I'll wait by the phone to see if I get a call to upgrade from our Oceania suite to an owner's suite for our June Marina cruise:rolleyes:

I'm not sure that it helps you to know what the upgrade cost was in this situation. I suspect it varies from cruise to cruise and category to category.

When we were on the Non-Libya cruise in November 2005 (on Regatta) we were booked in a PH (they didn't have 1-2-3 categories back then) and we got a last minute upsell to an OS for (as I recall) $1Kpp. I figured that was worth it and jumped. But I wouldn't assume that this is a standard amount.

Mura

$1500pp. I figured it was worth it. I'm sure it's a case-by-case issue. Pretty lucky, I think. Although this is my very first cruise -- I'm not sure that this doesn't happen frequently when the inventory is available. The only problem is that this could seriously raise the bar for my future cruise expectations.

Hey Brian!

We'd love to see you again, but November is tough for us.

Are you doing the Med or the Transatlantic?

Hey.........Will this be your first Oceania experience?

We're doing the Transatlantic - Yes, first time aboard Oceania!

I just booked a PH - Nothing too fancy I suppose, but fine enough for me.

:)

We're doing the Transatlantic - Yes, first time aboard Oceania!

I just booked a PH - Nothing too fancy I suppose, but fine enough for me.

:)

Great Choice! The Penthouses on the Marina Class are really a class apart!

203238.jpg I fell in love with them as soon as I saw the split love seat at the foot of the bed!

140823.jpg140831.jpg

In my opinion (and I have done a ton of research to back this up) the Penthouses on Marina are the most improved class of cabin on the Oceania Class. The huge closet alone is worth the price of admission.

You are going to absolutely LOVE IT.

Hey, if you have time, drop me a line at

Fixeruppers@Optonline.net and I'll fill you in on some of the finer points :)

Thank so much for the photos - Yes, it does look perfectly lovely...

...tho the generous closet space is certainly a draw for me - as well as the Butler so I won't have to deal with the end-of-cruise packing ordeal!

:D

• 1 year later...
Great information and photos. Thanks very much.

Would someone please let me know what is in-between the two aft facing OC suites on deck 11 of Marina? The deck plans appear to depict a hallway. If it is a hallway, is there access to the stern rail from the hall?

153905.jpg

Aft of the Oceania Suites, the Cabin Passageways end with Doorways out to a small service deck, where a Crew/Emergency Staircase leads up to the Terrace Cafe, so I believe that it is primarily a Fire Exit.

161551.jpg

That Deck is obviously not an area where passengers are intended to congregate, as it is fairly noisy (it's walls are completely lined with Air Conditioning Condenser vents), and the "Extra" outdoor furniture is stacked there.

Great Choice! The Penthouses on the Marina Class are really a class apart!

I fell in love with them as soon as I saw the split love seat at the foot of the bed!

In my opinion (and I have done a ton of research to back this up) the Penthouses on Marina are the most improved class of cabin on the Oceania Class. The huge closet alone is worth the price of admission.

Do you have a photo of the pH closet?

Archived