I pad

onafocus

Does anyone know if an I pad /internet will work on a cruise to New Zealand, It is currently running through 3G? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

YOur biggest obstacle will be roaming charges on the data. You would do well to keep it to wifi access (and even that gets expensive on a ship)

I used my IPad on the Sun Princess in NZ last year with no problem.

Just log on and pay for your Internet package and your set to go. The internet is a bit slow, but I was able to get reception in my cabin. I was on deck 6.

Don't bother with the 3G, just use the wifi.

Oh and make sure you log off after each session.

Deidre.

@onafocus -

If you have Wi-Fi access on the ship, it does not matter where the ship is.

I travel with an iPod touch and buy a package of about 90-100 mins for approximately $50 on NCL.

The sign-up process is done with the manager of the Internet Cafe. The package is charged to your inboard account.

My package allows me to log on once a day, sometimes twice (on a 2-week trans-Atlantic), to exchange emails with friends and family. I do all my writing off-line, and when I log on, the email will do its thing automatically: fetch and send. Each session takes between 4 and 6 minutes, no matter how much I send or receive. I found that the important thing is remembering how to log off - to stop the meter.

Availability within the ship varies. On the newer ones you can get Wi-Fi in your cabin, on some you may have to go topside. In any case, it's a heck of a lot better and easier than it was just a few short years ago.

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

YOur biggest obstacle will be roaming charges on the data. You would do well to keep it to wifi access (and even that gets expensive on a ship)

I plan to bring my iPad on a 14-day HAL cruise next month. I was advised at an Apple store to get a prepaid GSM sim card once I get there so that I can keep in touch with family on 3-4 week tour of Australia and New Zealand. (Hopefully one card works for both countries!) I don't see myself using it for anything but email. I'll probably avoid use aboard ship altogether, unless there is an emergency need to do so.

Is this doable? I really don't want to spend a lot of money and a lot of time with my eyes focused on the screen instead of the scenery.:D

@Mtierney -

Take another look at my earlier post concerning email while on the ship.

You are talking about a SIM card which, as far as I know is for cell phone service. For example, when we are in Europe, we switch from our T-Mobile US SIM card to one from T-Mobile Germany. With that all our calls within Germany are local calls.

Clarification: iPod touch for emails via Wi-Fi and old Motorola cell phones with SIM cards for cell phone service. My iPod has no SIM slot.

For Internet access (for email) in Germany we buy a package of minutes from whoever has a good deal. with luck some of the hotels will have free Wi-Fi.

Maybe somebody knowledgeable will chime in?

Juergen (and Helen)

Via Tapatalk & iPod touch.

I plan to bring my iPad on a 14-day HAL cruise next month. I was advised at an Apple store to get a prepaid GSM sim card once I get there so that I can keep in touch with family on 3-4 week tour of Australia and New Zealand. (Hopefully one card works for both countries!) I don't see myself using it for anything but email. I'll probably avoid use aboard ship altogether, unless there is an emergency need to do so.

Is this doable? I really don't want to spend a lot of money and a lot of time with my eyes focused on the screen instead of the scenery.:D

You may be able to once in Australia purchase a prepaid data sim for iPad (from Telstra or Optus stores).

Will you have time in Australia prior to your cruise, or will you be arriving in Australia by cruise? There are many Telstra and Optus stores around, although unsure if you can sign up for this if you don't have an Australian address or if this works with overseas IPad stock etc, maybe someone can confirm this?

If the above isn't possible, an idea might be to do as mentioned above and use the ship's wifi to write emails offline and connect to send/retrieve.

The above information is a suggestion for while in Australia only. As far as I know, there isn't a common local internet provider between Australia and New Zealand.

Have a fantastic trip! :)

Most McDonalds stores have free wifi and internet cafes are everywhere in the tourist areas and quite cheap. If you intend to email on the ship make sure you compose your email first and then cut and paste it to send...connections on the ships are generally slow and expensive.

I have been travelling for over two months in Canada and US, with an iPad, and have had no trouble finding places which offer free wifi - coffee lounges and McDonalds everywhere, as well as public libraries, trains, busses and less expensive hotel accommodation.

Archived