Any news on the man overboard?

CruisinManiac

Came over here to see if there was any news on the man overboard off the Conquest and don't see any mention. Anyone know?

I hadn't heard that this happened. Do you have any details as to when. The ship just sailed yesterday afternoon.

September 25 Carnival Conquest

Carnival Cruise Lines KHOU-TV reports authorities were searching for a man who jumped off a Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico, officials said. The 39-year-old man, identified as Clint Wayne Markham from Forney, was seen jumping off the Carnival Conquest on Friday around 6:30 p.m., shortly after the ship left Cozumel, according to a statement from Carnival. Officials said the company alerted authorities and returned to the ship to where the man was last seen to begin searching for him. The cruise ship was later released from the search while Mexican authorities continued to look for him. “We’re sorry to say that at this time, the missing guest has not been located. However, the Mexican navy remains on site and continues with the search,” wrote the ship’s captain, Antonio Sammartano, in a letter given to passengers. “We continue to provide support to his family and friends during this difficult time. We ask that you please continue to join us in keeping them in your thoughts and prayers. Carnival Conquest left Galveston on September 18 and returned at 9 a.m. on Sunday.

from

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

All I heard this morning on the radio was it was his 40th birthday cruise and he fell (or whatever) from a 9th floor balcony. There may or may not have been a dare involved. The newscaster said it was unclear was actually caused his fall.

I'm getting it was probably booze related and an accident of judgement. :(

After I first searched the first page of this board (figuring that this news would be upfront), I then did a search on here using the search function, and the words "man overboard" and didn't come up with anything. When I tried a Google search with the same and using Conquest in the search, I found the link to the following CC thread which was started by Host Mach. I don't understand why the search function did not come up with the thread. I never would have posted otherwise.

This thread has been locked, BTW.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1488446

Prayers for the family. :(

I was on the Conquest at the time this happened. The ship was just leaving port. We couldn't have been very far and we were going slow. My DW and I were just sitting down for the 6:00 p.m. dinning when we noticed the ship had stopped. Thrusters started and we started turning. Shortly after, the Captain made an announcement that there was a man overboard. We heard a couple of rumors, as usual. Later, the Captain said he still hadn't been found. We waited for about an hour before the sip was released to continue on while the Mexican Navy and, we heard, a few other boats continued the search. I must add that it was getting dark fast between 6 & 7 p.m.

I'm not sure what happened on the Lido but if anyone falls or jumps from that high up they would have either be knocked out or severely hurt. I understand there were a couple of witnesses to what transpired. FOX4 here in Dallas picked up the story last night.

My prayers to the family.

I live in Forney a small town about twenty miles or so east of Dallas. To all those who know Clint, none believe it was a suicide. Clint was a loving father, son and husband who just wouldn't do something like this (he was looking forward to his birthday party on Sunday. It is believed it was an accident, a terrible accident. We are all hoping the details will come out and clear things up since there were people who saw what happen.

After I first searched the first page of this board (figuring that this news would be upfront), I then did a search on here using the search function, and the words "man overboard" and didn't come up with anything. When I tried a Google search with the same and using Conquest in the search, I found the link to the following CC thread which was started by Host Mach. I don't understand why the search function did not come up with the thread. I never would have posted otherwise.

I'm not sure how search is configured within the coding of this website, but unlike Google and the other big players in online, most websites don't have the horsepower to serve up the resources required to make complex (or sometimes even simple) queries. Also -- and again depending on how they're configured -- websites often rely on timed "cron jobs" that carry out tasks such as clearing the cache, backing up databases, and cataloging new content (for search purposes). These crons may occur once per day, per hour, per minute, or whatever. Cron can be a server hog, though, so it may not be performed as often.

I live in Forney a small town about twenty miles or so east of Dallas. To all those who know Clint, none believe it was a suicide. Clint was a loving father, son and husband who just wouldn't do something like this (he was looking forward to his birthday party on Sunday. It is believed it was an accident, a terrible accident. We are all hoping the details will come out and clear things up since there were people who saw what happen.

Sorry for your and the families loss.

Debbie

Hi helicopter, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Carole

A central Texas TV station had a piece on it this morning in which they interviewed a man who was aboard with his family. He said there was drinking and a fight with his wife prior to the man's jumping off.

How he knew this wasn't clear to me.

Anyway, they report, you decide. Personally I think the jury is still out, so to speak.

This is so very sad. Prayers for the family and friends.

I do find it strange that Cruise Critic has not done a news story on this since apparently there were witnesses so that we can be provided with what really happened and not rely on rumors. Sadly, it appears this is a cautionary story of excessive drinking and of making sure that someone in a group maintain enough sobriety to control those who don't. It's a sad reminder for all of us that no matter how much fun we want to have as grownups, we have to keep our wits about us.

Archived