San Francisco Tours

SPI_Rick

I will be making a brief 2 day visit to San Francisco in a little over a week (non-cruise related). I will be staying near Fisherman's Wharf and I would like to tour the city, preferably without having to fight traffic and hunt for parking with my rental car. Can anyone recommend a tour company that provides city tours? I am particularly interested in "Hop-on, Hop-off" tours that let you get off and explore on your own for a while and then re-join the tour.

SPI_Rick

I don't have an answer to your question but would really appreciate it if you would post and let me which tour you used. We will be there in June. Thanks Yogi

Yogi, since I didn't get any recommendations for tours, this morning I booked what was called a "San Fraincisco Trolley Hop-on, Hop-off Tour". See the informaton at:

http://la.com.toursandshows.com/body.asp?tour=SFO-B0010&page=TourDetails

I may book another tour once I am in the city. I'll let you know how things worked out once I am back from the trip.

Yogi, I just got back from our California trip. I can't say that I was too impressed with the Grey Line "Hop-on, Hop-off" tour....because we didn't get to do any hopping. On the day we did the tour they told us that they were not doing the "Hop-on, Hop-off" it would just be a straight tour. It appeared that they were missing a driver and chose to not do any stops along the tour route for that reason. They did not offer a refund or a reduced rate even though they changed the service they were providing.

My advice would be: Don't book the tour in advance. Tickets were available at ticket booths on Pier 39 and near the Alcatraz Ferry building. Check at one of the ticket booths to see if the "Hop-on, Hop-off" tour is being offered before you purchase your tickets. If the "Hop-on, Hop-off" is not being offered, I would recommend taking the Double Deck Bus tour instead. See the link below:

http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com/tours/sf_city_loop_vista_sightseeing.html

Another option would be to go to the visitor and convention bureau when you get to town. You can buy Muni (public transit system) passes that are good on subway, buses, trolleys AND cable cars. Armed with a Muni map, you can get anywhere in the city. Check out this web site for fares and other info:

http://www.sfvisitor.org/

Archived