Theme Nights

Belinda45

We are on the Dawn Princess on April 19 for a 10-day Western Caribbean cruise. I've heard there are theme nights - Western Night and maybe Caribbean night.

I'm a first-time cruiser so don't know how this works. :confused: Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Belinda, the Princess site says that ships have both a Country Western and Island night (no island night on Alaska ships). That said, I hear about and personally remember the Island night (see my avatar), but cannot for the life of me recall much going on for the CW night. Mostly it is wear the appropriate attire and attend the party on deck. You can choose to participate or not, depending on how much room you have in the suitcase.

In the few years there have not been Country Western nite. They ususally have a Island nite (except for Alaska). There is no need to dress up that nite. They just bring out fruit and desserts, a band is playing and they try to get people to dance whatever they dance to in the Carribean.

Marilyn

I don't think it's as big a deal as it was a few years back. On my first cruise, we just about had a different theme night each night and brought along the appropriate clothes for each theme. Now, I just take a brightly colored flower print dress for Island night. And yes, you can find nice things to buy on the islands to wear too.

Thanks! Someone that has cruised Princess before said they used to have costume parties. I'm assuming they no longer have those either????:confused:

Thanks for all the good information! I love this board and website!

Just back from the Dawn. As mentioned earlier there are no "theme" nights. Most evenings the dress is simply stated as "smart casual". There is an Island Party one night outside by the pool and lots of people change into shorts after dinner and go. There are dances on the ship during the week such as Rock & Roll and Country Western, but I didn't see any passengers getting dressed special for it.

Before my first cruise, I called the cruiseline to ask if there was any special outfits we will supposed to bring (besides formal nightware) and was told not to worry. It seems when there's a theme night, it refers to the menu. On Carnival, in particular, the waiters wear outfits coordinated with the theme (Caribbean, Italian, etc.). Then they dance in according to the theme (eg. "Hot, Hot, Hot" -- which can get quite tiresome if you do many Carnival cruises).

First time cruiser, pretend that you are going to a very nice hotel with lots of amenities and where you can essentially do what you want, when you want to do it. Like in a very nice hotel, you get to leave the hotel to sightsee (that is called a port) but otherwise, you do things according to your own style and taste and interest. A cruise, despite what might be the sense from these boards is not summer camp. There will be up to a few thousand people on your cruise and they come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, interests, backgrounds, ages, etc. This is not one homogeneous group all doing everything together. Theme nights are just another way of the cruise line changing the menu form one night to another. I cannot remember anyone dressing up for a theme night or any other night. The only costume that I have seen worn on cruises is guys wearing out of date tuxedos. Now that can be very funny. Otherwise, relax and treat the cruise like I said, a floating hotel where you do what you want and there is no pressure of any kind to fit in. If dressing up for dinner to match the appetizer is your idea of fun, have a great time. I guarantee that you will be in a majority of one.

Archived