Question about WiFi on the Allure Of The Seas

april22c

We are going on the Allure Of Seas and somewere I read that you have to turn your WiFi off on your phone or you will be charged for your WiFi through your phone provider. Plus I thought WI Fi was protected by a password if it was not free which will not let you access the internet. My grandson will have his Ipad and uses it to play games and read ebooks. If this is so then you cannot use your Ipad. Also he was planning to use it when we get off the boat say at a place that had free WiFi. And If it is free at some places can you still use it and not get charged from your phone provider. He was going to use WiFi to email his parents. He can turn his Wi Fi off on the Ipad if this is true. Anyone have any info on WiFi. Thanks

We are going on the Allure Of Seas and somewere I read that you have to turn your WiFi off on your phone or you will be charged for your WiFi through your phone provider. Plus I thought WI Fi was protected by a password if it was not free which will not let you access the internet. My grandson will have his Ipad and uses it to play games and read ebooks. If this is so then you cannot use your Ipad. Also he was planning to use it when we get off the boat say at a place that had free WiFi. And If it is free at some places can you still use it and not get charged from your phone provider. He was going to use WiFi to email his parents. He can turn his Wi Fi off on the Ipad if this is true. Anyone have any info on WiFi. Thanks

It's not the WiFi that needs to be turned off, it's the cellular data that is the problem. Those folks with SmartPhones need to be concerned about charges from their provider due to data roaming while at sea.

As you mentioned, WiFi takes a password to enable. There's no issue with excess charges from leaving WiFi enabled, as long as no username / password has been entered.

As long as his iPad is not a 3G model, no worries with the charges as stated since he would have to sign up for WiFi. If he buys WiFi minutes on the ship I would disable the WiFi when not using it to ensure he is not consuming minutes inadvertantly. The iPad is fully fuctionally (games and books), with some small exceptions, with WiFi off.

Archived