Flowrider boogie board tricks - intermediate to advanced

snorkelman

This thread is for those of you who:

a. consider the following things easy and consistently successfully can pull them at will:

- superman

- barrel roll

- ride on knees

b. can at least occasionally complete tricks such as:

- Body surf with board on head

- lazyman (laying on your back on bb)

- sitting Indian style on board

- 360 (whether prone, on knees, seated, or drop-knee)

- front roll

I am going on the Allure this Sunday and was wondering whether they allow you to ride drop-knee like this:

2l7tz8.jpg

FYI, this is my favorite way of dropping in:

http://i55.tinypic.com/whz4v7.jpg

and a pic of me standing up.

http://i53.tinypic.com/ei182c.jpg

I know from experience that the instructors don't let you stand up if the divider is up, so that pretty much means only on the first day, during a port day, or during a private lesson, so I guess I will do my stand-up on day one.

I have never actually done drop-knee, as I just discovered it online and nobody on the cruise ship has every done it on the last 5 cruises with flowriders I was on. I am guessing that since the tricks that you do out of the drop-knee position basically take some space and involve carving, that you pretty much need the whole wave (not when the divider is up). Can anyone comment on that?

Also, feel free to have the discussion go anywhere you want on intermediate/advanced tricks.

I can do drop knee. It was hard for me to learn because all your body is on top of the board and it hard to keep control.

I have been in four "flowrider" cruises and have never seen any staff doing the drop knee either.

When the divider is up, I usally leave. It's just too small space to do any tricks.

There are two main styles of drop knees. One is the back leg sits perpendicular to the board and the front foot at the middle of the board. The other is like in your picture. One water might have one style and another one the other style. But hardly see both styles at the same park.

Have fun and try the stand up surfing too.

There are two main styles of drop knees.

^^ Cool to know. I didn't notice that in any of the videos I've been watching, so I will have to pay closer attention to that aspect. I just finished watching several with Matt Griffin. During one video I even saw one guy enter the wave at top on drop-knee and that gives me ideas for the Allure because I hate entering the wave like everyone else, and 95% of the time I enter on my knees like in the picture I posted.

I have been paying specific attention to the videos re: when riding drop-knee, how their hand(s) are almost always in the water, especially when doing 360s. It looks like that is the key to keeping yourself on target during the rotations. Assuming I can pick up riding in the drop-knee style, my goal is to start linking multiple tricks together.

Also, it seems like the combo of prone 360 + barrel roll is pretty popular. In fact, it seems for the prone360, it appears that the way to pull MULTIPLE rotations is to just dip feet in the water from the 270-360 position to keep the momentum going?

... try the stand up surfing too.

Thanks, and yeah, I have tinkered in that

http://i54.tinypic.com/anzkuf.jpg

but I never skated or snowboarded, so it doesn't come as easy as the boogie boarding. I come from a background of years of flatland freestyle trick biking

http://i55.tinypic.com/9genvt.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vctkra.jpg

Also, I can do front rolls, and the way that I do them is to place my head on the board as I somersault forward. I came across a video where this guy did a bounce first and then went into a front roll but his head never touched anything. He basically bounced once and then used that momentum to bounce a second time and when he was going upwards the second time, he leaned way forward and pulled the board with him and did a somersault forward and the first thing to touch was his shoulder on the foam pad.

One last trick I am going to try involves a bounce also. Basically you bounce and then on the second bounce you pull the board upwards and do a mid-air barrel roll. From what I can see in the videos, either no body part touches the pad, or maybe one leg is used to push off the pad to get higher in the air. It is really fast, so even pausing it doesn't help much because water seems to always be splashing everywhere.

Archived