NYE on the Mariner. Kids?

SuzCruise

Looking at booking the Dec. 27th Mariner cruise. My questions are about NYE. The itinerary indicates that New Years Eve is not formal, but I am wondering if most people get dressed up just because of the event? Does Regent do anything special for NYE? Last question is about the demographics of this sailing. Will there be lots of kids aboard since this is a holiday cruise? We try to avoid times when there will be lots of kids, but the timing of this really works for us.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you have concerns about children I would ask your TA to telephone Regent and check probable numbers as the final payment date has just passed. My experience on Regent at New Years is that there are many families on board. Regent provides children's programs which engage quite a few of the children. As usual, parental supervision is key. Yes, kids do love the pool and the hot tubs [never understood the latter].

Two years ago when we were on Voyager for NY, we went the 'formal optional' route. We were not in the majority. This year I did not notice even a 'formal optional' on the list so my best guess is that there will be very little formal attire but some 'dress up' [as opposed to casual] for that night. This is only a guess from me.

The party is held in the atrium with the band on the stairs and the entertainment staff working hard...noise makers,etc. and a countdown w dancing. Champagne flowing...no buffet that I can recall.

We were on Voyager in December 2007 through New Years. There were some kids, not many, and all well-behaved and completely unobtrusive.

That was before the everyday-casual attire rules took effect, so I'm sure NYE was a formal night. We didn't take tuxes, but wore the dark suits we had brought. Now, I think most people will dress up somewhat for NYE -- some tuxes, mostly not, but a bit more dressy than other nights.

-- Eric

We were on Nav Dec 2009 for NYE and there were a fair number of children onboard.

All well behaved but in the hot tubs and pool a lot

It is good to hear that the children were well behaved. However, children in the pool and hot tubs "a lot" could mean that adults would not want to go in. It is the opinion of many CruiseCritic posters (not specifically Regent -- there is a recent article on this) that the hot tub should be restricted to adults only -- for several reasons. If the hot tub is kept at the optimum temperature (I believe it is 100 or 102 degrees F), it is not safe for children to be in for more than 10 minutes.

If you are cruising during holidays, school vacation or the summer, be prepared for children on board. Whether or not they are well behaved is not determinable. See the other thread regarding how one child on board a cruise cleared the dance floor so he could roll around and dance (quite late at night).

It is good to hear that the children were well behaved. However, children in the pool and hot tubs "a lot" could mean that adults would not want to go in. It is the opinion of many CruiseCritic posters (not specifically Regent -- there is a recent article on this) that the hot tub should be restricted to adults only -- for several reasons. If the hot tub is kept at the optimum temperature (I believe it is 100 or 102 degrees F), it is not safe for children to be in for more than 10 minutes.

If you are cruising during holidays, school vacation or the summer, be prepared for children on board. Whether or not they are well behaved is not determinable. See the other thread regarding how one child on board a cruise cleared the dance floor so he could roll around and dance (quite late at night).

Aboard the Mariner, there was clearly posted signage saying that children below a certain age (16?, I'm not sure) were not permitted in the hot tubs.

As in the case of the rolling-around-on-the-dance-floor child, the appropriate Mariner staff should be trained in how to intervene when any child's (or adult's) safety is at risk and/or when any child's (or adult's) behavior is inappropriate.

Great idea to check with Regent, PaulaJK! I actually contacted RSSC myself and they were happy to look it up for me. I won't know the ages of the "kids" since their records just indicate if someone is under 18, but it gives me a good idea and calms my fears.

Could anyone share some more details of the NYE festivities with me?

Thanks!

We were on Mariner for NYE 2009. There were a few children on board who we thought were generally very well behaved, although I think some cruisers are annoyed by the mere sight of children on cruise ships. I admit that we generally avoid cruising during the school holidays in summer, especially the shorter-duration cruises to Alaska, the Eastern Med, etc.

For NYE they brought on special entertainment: a musical show with cast members from the Broadway show "Jersey Boys", featuring the music of Franky Valli and the Four Seasons. This was by far the best show I have ever seen at sea. In honor of the 12/31 occasion, I may have worn a tie in addition to my standard blue blazer and charcoal trousers, but I don't really remember and it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Some people like to dress up and, although I'm not one of them, I wouldn't object if Regent organized a formal-dress event for those who wished to participate.

December 31st is a Saturday this year, so you'll wake up on Sunday to the standard champagne and caviar! Happy New Year and enjoy the cruise.

Archived