Manhattan Pier to Brooklyn Pier

momrox1

We three women are lucky enough to be going on a cruise out of manhattan pier on 12th Avenue. Upon our disembark we will head to Brooklyn Pier (Red Hook) for another cruise. What is the best way to transfer in terms of cost...public taxi or car service? Thanks so much in advance.

We three women are lucky enough to be going on a cruise out of manhattan pier on 12th Avenue. Upon our disembark we will head to Brooklyn Pier (Red Hook) for another cruise. What is the best way to transfer in terms of cost...public taxi or car service? Thanks so much in advance.

Car service. Cross town traffic can be very bad. In a taxi, the meter just keeps ticking away. Car service is fixed price (and a better car)

Car service. Cross town traffic can be very bad. In a taxi, the meter just keeps ticking away. Car service is fixed price (and a better car)

why on earth would you go cross town? It is a simple 20 minutes ride straight down 12th avenue to the Brooklyn battery tunnel. It will take more effort to meet your car service, then just take a cab. Have the directions with you. They are down 12th avenue to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, take the hamilton avenue exit just passed the tolls(4.80 or so with the required ezpass for yellow cabs) make two quick lefts, straight ahead to van brundt street make a left and then the first right into the cruise terminal..cost about $30-5 including toll and tip. a service should be about the same and as Greatam says a better car. you should be in no rush to leave all you will to do is wait anyway.feel adventurous? after you check in leave the terminal and walk down to fairway-a little under 1 mile. go to the cafe in back buy a cup of coffee and sit out back watching the harbor...or eat anything you want,

I absolutely concur with smyer418! And I think I'd go with info on Manhattan traffic from someone who lives here more so than from someone from out of state.

I probably drive in Manhattan more than a lot of New Yorkers (either no car or hire taxi, car service or have private driver). We have an office in the Bronx and I either drive myself all around the city for appts or take car service/cabs. Sometimes I go with my truck drivers. We also have 8-10 straight trucks running all over the city every day making pickups and deliveries so I am very familiar with Manhattan traffic.

And I still say CAR SERVICE (that WAS the question). For those unfamiliar with NYC streets, there has been repeated comments in this forum about "cross town" traffic and how bad it can be. I was trying to relate to the OP that traffic can back up any place in Manhattan and if you are in a taxi, the meter keeps ticking. Downtown/Uptown doesn't mean much to those not from the area. Cross town was the only reference I could think of. Sorry if I gave bad info.

Since the ladies are in no hurry to get to Red Hook, take their time getting off ship 1. The mad rush will be pretty well over if they are some of the last off the ship. Also easier to find their car service. May even want to pay a little extra for "meet and greet" so there is no confusion. Nicer car, driver who will KNOW where he is going without the directions. Other than any extra for "meet and greet", the cost will be about the same barring unforeseen traffic tie-ups in a taxi.

Thank you for the great info. I think it's a great idea to take our time getting off the ship...and I'm the nervous type so think I'd be watching the meter like a madwoman in a taxi so maybe for us a car service is a better option...

I probably drive in Manhattan more than a lot of New Yorkers (either no car or hire taxi, car service or have private driver). We have an office in the Bronx and I either drive myself all around the city for appts or take car service/cabs. Sometimes I go with my truck drivers. We also have 8-10 straight trucks running all over the city every day making pickups and deliveries so I am very familiar with Manhattan traffic.

And I still say CAR SERVICE (that WAS the question). For those unfamiliar with NYC streets, there has been repeated comments in this forum about "cross town" traffic and how bad it can be. I was trying to relate to the OP that traffic can back up any place in Manhattan and if you are in a taxi, the meter keeps ticking. Downtown/Uptown doesn't mean much to those not from the area. Cross town was the only reference I could think of. Sorry if I gave bad info.

Since the ladies are in no hurry to get to Red Hook, take their time getting off ship 1. The mad rush will be pretty well over if they are some of the last off the ship. Also easier to find their car service. May even want to pay a little extra for "meet and greet" so there is no confusion. Nicer car, driver who will KNOW where he is going without the directions. Other than any extra for "meet and greet", the cost will be about the same barring unforeseen traffic tie-ups in a taxi.

I have great respect for GreatAm. We agree on almost everything...except directions. We have had more disagreements about directions than anything I can remember.

In any case we agree that Car services generally have better cars and most time the drivers(not always) know how to get to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal...I still suggest having the directions with you.

In NYC cross town means anything across the width of Manhattan, or from side to side. Uptown means up and downtown means down- no matter where you are. No one knows where midtown is-officially its one thing unofficially its anywhere from Canal Street to 125th.- There is even a song about it(the Bronx is up and the Battery is down the people ride in a hole in the ground -New York New york is a hell of a town)

Thank you for the great info. I think it's a great idea to take our time getting off the ship...and I'm the nervous type so think I'd be watching the meter like a madwoman in a taxi so maybe for us a car service is a better option...

try dial 7's (212)777-7777. you can check them out at www.dial7.com

Archived