Sad News

Cruachan

It is with profound sorrow that I have to report the death of a former Cruise Critic Member. KindlyChap died yesterday (29th September), at the age of 45, after a long battle with very serious illness. Matthew was possessed of an unsurpassed love for RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 and traveled on her many times. He was hard hit, emotionally, when she was withdrawn from service, but, after several transatlantic voyages on the new flagship, Queen Mary 2, he transferred his allegiance, if not his affection, to her. He also cruised once on Queen Victoria, and, in the month before his death, he managed to complete the Round Britain cruise on Queen Elizabeth. Despite having to spend part of one port day undergoing emergency treatment in a local hospital, he was able to rejoin the ship and complete the cruise. This voyage meant that he was able to achieve his aim of traveling on all the current Cunard fleet, as well as QE2.

All of of us who were privileged to meet Matthew in person will, I am certain, vouch for just how accurate was the appellation "Kindlychap". Matthew had a wonderful sense of humour and was a witty, erudite and unfailingly entertaining dinner companion. His passing has left an enormous gap in my own life and in those of many of my friends. When my own time comes, as it surely will, I hope that I can face my fate with one tenth of one percent of the courage, grit and equanimity displayed by Matthew.

RIP Matthew - you will be sadly missed.

J

Archived