Thoughts on Fun Ships 2.0 announced today

NAUdebo

I'm completely shocked by the mixed response to these changes as you've probably seen from some of the other threads in here. I guess it goes to show how resistant people are to change, even change that is in a really positive direction as these are.

Big picture: RCCL just got kicked in the teeth. They've been able to command premium pricing over Carnival because RCCL has already done many of these enhancements on their newer ships. Now they have company, as Carnival is making a real effort to catch up with their onboard offerings. You'll see price competition as a result. If I saw correctly, I think RCCL just launched a sale today. Hmm...

When you think about it, nothing is being taken away from current customers as a result of these changes. If none of them strike your fancy, you don't have to use them. It's not as if they're eliminating places on board to make room for these new options. I get that not everyone likes the ideas.

I'm having to work hard to find the flaws in what Carnival did here. For everyone who thinks these changes means Carnival will have to raise prices, I wouldn't be so sure. This is a capital expenditure just like building a new ship or doing ongoing maintenance on current ships in the fleet. 500 million sounds like a lot to us, but it's not that big of a deal for CCL. For the price of building a new ship, they can make these changes on 15 ships instead. Given they have plenty of capacity right now, it's a better business decision for them to improve the quality of their onboard experience than to just build another ship on top of what they already have. Maybe prices go up in the long term, but that was going to happen anyways. Prices are low right now given too many ships and not enough demand, and eventually that was going to be brought back into balance.

Consider each change on its own merits:

FIERI'S BURGER BAR - It's free. Johnny Rockets on RCCL has a charge. Right now, I can get a decent basic burger on the Lido deck and okay fries. At the new place, I get a customized premium burger with good condiments and cheeses, along with better fries. Did I mention it's free?

EA SPORTS BAR - I'm a sports nut and a craft beer drinker. Carnival just told me they're going to create a space with a giant TV board that can be split into 16 panels, or used for just one big game. The bar will have a wider beer selection than what they have now. And it will include EA Sports arcade games for those who wish to play. Awesome. I want it next week when I'm on the Valor. Too bad it's not there yet.

GEORGE LOPEZ - I'm with many of you, not a huge fan of Lopez. Still, I recognize he has a following and knows the ropes of live comedy including up and coming talent. I enjoy live comedy, and now I find out they have someone dedicated to finding new comics for the fleet and improving the comedy club experience. Last time I checked, comedy at my local Improv costs $15 a person with a two drink minimum. If the club is good, and I go a few times over the week? Big savings, big benefit for people that love live comedy.

DJ IRIE - I don't know who this DJ is. I do know that a lot of the music on board is just okay. I know that I saw many nights on my cruise this summer where the nightclub was empty from 11 PM - 1AM. For people that are into the nightclub, this sounds great. In addition, it sounds like they'll be working with him to improve stage shows and create some fun shows using modern music. I'd give that a try.

RED FROG BAR - I was on the Magic this summer. Beer is great, rum selection and drinks were good. The space was probably too big and the food wasn't a good fit. They're keeping the best part of the idea, moving it to the pool area, and taking away what didn't work. Good move.

BLUE IGUANA BAR AND CANTINA - Someone earlier was complaining about the quality of Carnival's Mexican food options and using that as a reason for why this is a bad idea. Huh? That's exactly why you do this! The Mexican food on the Lido is nothing better than okay. Coming from Arizona, I get to eat great Mexican whenever I want it. Improve the offerings, give it to me for free, expand the tequila selection, and serve by the pool? I can't see a downside to this.

HASBRO GAME SHOWS - I think kareoke and the newlywed game are proof positive that we all like to watch people get on stage and look like fools for our entertainment. Let's not lie about it - these kind of things are fun! If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like a game show during the day with people/families doing contests and challenges. Don't know if it will be great, but on a lazy day at sea, I'd take a look. Better than having the showroom empty with nothing going on.

WINE MACHINE IN LIBRARY - Wine and books go together. The people who want to get hammered and party aren't sampling wine in the library. I'm guessing it won't change the peaceful environment at all, and it's a nice touch. Good way to get a glass of wine you haven't had before, or try a couple samples without wasting your time on a wine tasting you have to pay for.

ALCHEMY BAR - There's been a big trend lately towards creative cocktails and putting a spin on classic drinks. I'm the type to buy a bottle or two from Bon Voyage and mix up a drink in my room, because I don't like the super-sweet frozen drinks at $10 a pop. I would be willing to spend $10 for a cool setting with a custom-made Manhattan or martini. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I'm sure this place will do well and fill a niche in their bar lineup.

So there you have it. Nine changes. All of them well considered and appealing to Carnival's target demographic, which is a little younger than other lines and looking to have a lot of fun on their vacation. This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to Carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and I promise all of you that I won't be alone.

Great work, Carnival!

I just read this exact same post of yours on the announcements thread .. were you afraid no one would see it there? that is the best thread of the day with lots of info. why repeat your exact same post? id rather see people respond to the thread listing the changes as they occured .. like people were doing.

Firefly, I went back and looked at the George Lopez thread and realized that it had a lot of comments earlier in the day, but had pretty much died off over the last couple of hours. I had written quite a bit and thought it might go unseen in the other thread.

Should I delete this one? I do understand and don't want to be a jerk.

30832404[/color]]Firefly' date=' I went back and looked at the George Lopez thread and realized that it had a lot of comments earlier in the day, but had pretty much died off over the last couple of hours. I had written quite a bit and thought it might go unseen in the other thread.

Should I delete this one? I do understand and don't want to be a jerk.

i dont know what the problem is re posting this i didnt see it anywhere else

This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to Carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and I promise all of you that I won't be alone.

Great work, Carnival!

Sounds like a Carnival employee had some spare time on their hands.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

I'm completely shocked by the mixed response to these changes as you've probably seen from some of the other threads in here. I guess it goes to show how resistant people are to change, even change that is in a really positive direction as these are.

Big picture: RCCL just got kicked in the teeth. They've been able to command premium pricing over Carnival because RCCL has already done many of these enhancements on their newer ships. Now they have company, as Carnival is making a real effort to catch up with their onboard offerings. You'll see price competition as a result. If I saw correctly, I think RCCL just launched a sale today. Hmm...

When you think about it, nothing is being taken away from current customers as a result of these changes. If none of them strike your fancy, you don't have to use them. It's not as if they're eliminating places on board to make room for these new options. I get that not everyone likes the ideas.

I'm having to work hard to find the flaws in what Carnival did here. For everyone who thinks these changes means Carnival will have to raise prices, I wouldn't be so sure. This is a capital expenditure just like building a new ship or doing ongoing maintenance on current ships in the fleet. 500 million sounds like a lot to us, but it's not that big of a deal for CCL. For the price of building a new ship, they can make these changes on 15 ships instead. Given they have plenty of capacity right now, it's a better business decision for them to improve the quality of their onboard experience than to just build another ship on top of what they already have. Maybe prices go up in the long term, but that was going to happen anyways. Prices are low right now given too many ships and not enough demand, and eventually that was going to be brought back into balance.

Consider each change on its own merits:

FIERI'S BURGER BAR - It's free. Johnny Rockets on RCCL has a charge. Right now, I can get a decent basic burger on the Lido deck and okay fries. At the new place, I get a customized premium burger with good condiments and cheeses, along with better fries. Did I mention it's free?

EA SPORTS BAR - I'm a sports nut and a craft beer drinker. Carnival just told me they're going to create a space with a giant TV board that can be split into 16 panels, or used for just one big game. The bar will have a wider beer selection than what they have now. And it will include EA Sports arcade games for those who wish to play. Awesome. I want it next week when I'm on the Valor. Too bad it's not there yet.

GEORGE LOPEZ - I'm with many of you, not a huge fan of Lopez. Still, I recognize he has a following and knows the ropes of live comedy including up and coming talent. I enjoy live comedy, and now I find out they have someone dedicated to finding new comics for the fleet and improving the comedy club experience. Last time I checked, comedy at my local Improv costs $15 a person with a two drink minimum. If the club is good, and I go a few times over the week? Big savings, big benefit for people that love live comedy.

DJ IRIE - I don't know who this DJ is. I do know that a lot of the music on board is just okay. I know that I saw many nights on my cruise this summer where the nightclub was empty from 11 PM - 1AM. For people that are into the nightclub, this sounds great. In addition, it sounds like they'll be working with him to improve stage shows and create some fun shows using modern music. I'd give that a try.

RED FROG BAR - I was on the Magic this summer. Beer is great, rum selection and drinks were good. The space was probably too big and the food wasn't a good fit. They're keeping the best part of the idea, moving it to the pool area, and taking away what didn't work. Good move.

BLUE IGUANA BAR AND CANTINA - Someone earlier was complaining about the quality of Carnival's Mexican food options and using that as a reason for why this is a bad idea. Huh? That's exactly why you do this! The Mexican food on the Lido is nothing better than okay. Coming from Arizona, I get to eat great Mexican whenever I want it. Improve the offerings, give it to me for free, expand the tequila selection, and serve by the pool? I can't see a downside to this.

HASBRO GAME SHOWS - I think kareoke and the newlywed game are proof positive that we all like to watch people get on stage and look like fools for our entertainment. Let's not lie about it - these kind of things are fun! If I'm understanding this correctly, it sounds like a game show during the day with people/families doing contests and challenges. Don't know if it will be great, but on a lazy day at sea, I'd take a look. Better than having the showroom empty with nothing going on.

WINE MACHINE IN LIBRARY - Wine and books go together. The people who want to get hammered and party aren't sampling wine in the library. I'm guessing it won't change the peaceful environment at all, and it's a nice touch. Good way to get a glass of wine you haven't had before, or try a couple samples without wasting your time on a wine tasting you have to pay for.

ALCHEMY BAR - There's been a big trend lately towards creative cocktails and putting a spin on classic drinks. I'm the type to buy a bottle or two from Bon Voyage and mix up a drink in my room, because I don't like the super-sweet frozen drinks at $10 a pop. I would be willing to spend $10 for a cool setting with a custom-made Manhattan or martini. Sure, it's not for everyone, but I'm sure this place will do well and fill a niche in their bar lineup.

So there you have it. Nine changes. All of them well considered and appealing to Carnival's target demographic, which is a little younger than other lines and looking to have a lot of fun on their vacation. This was a brilliant move, and one that's going to keep me looking to Carnival as the first option for my next cruise booking. I'll be looking for one of these ships out of drydock for my next cruise - and I promise all of you that I won't be alone.

Great work, Carnival!

You forgot about all the New Shows they will be adding 3 or 4 different ones and I would think they would have shows more frequently, also dont forget about the "BRUNCH" in the dining room with the Comedian as well :)

Im sure RCCL or NCL would be happy to have your business One thing I will tell you that Carnival is still more profitable than any other cruise line....and these changes they obviously were listening to the Public in wants and needs...I think its a great Move.....We were going to try and book an RCCL big ship and well since we will be booking the Breeze for our son's HS graduation in 2013 we might have to cruise in 2012 and choose which ships will have all the Goodies....maybe the Liberty again do the Eastern next time...

I like your 'analysis' of the new features and agree that they are a welcome addition (and no I don't think you should delete this thread as I didn't even see the other one ...and sounds like it is specific to George Lopez so may be missed by those not interested in that particular 'option')

Great post! Not ground breaking news, but great additions to make our vacations a little more fun and diverse. Not enough for me to change our booking to Liberty in January 12'. But it will play a role in our next booking after that.

Sounds like a Carnival employee had some spare time on their hands.

The program is anything but earth breaking. The competition has had these programs on their ships for a very long time. The issue then becomes what is left for Carnival to pick from to place on their ships, not much. It will be that PR machine that will have to create something literally out of nothing. Wether the public takes to whatever Carnival can piece together remains to be seen.

The other lines used to follow Carnival and for the past several years Carnival has been looking at the competition for the latest. They need to look at ship design and hone in on what made Carnival what it is today and build up. Instead, Carnival's only real draw is cheap price..and one gets what they pay for.

I happen to think that this program is ground breaking for Carnival. They are still the world's largest and most profitable cruise line and for good reason: the value. Of course people could pay more and opt for another line, but who wants to pay more for anything? You want to pay for better quality, all the bells and whistles? You want to pay for food that could and should be free? Well now you don't have to with the new improvements. You are talking about carnival bottoming out huh and scrambling for new ideas to put on ships? What do you think Royal Caribbean is going to do now besides offer rocket ship rides to the moon. They threw everything on their ships all at once with Oasis and Allure. Some people call it a nightmare at sea, others enjoy it. Either way, its subjective. What one may like another will not. I like Carnival's approach. Slow and steady and its going to pay off. Now I'm quite sure that the next ship will have a new layout of some sort and that makes sense. This program is guiding the line in a new direction and giving it room to grow from one concept to the next. I would rather that they improve their current fleet than introduce a new ship. I think its wonderful . They are giving the customers what they want all for a good value. Now eveyone will get what they pay for, good shows, more FREE food options, activities for the kids and adults and just more options. I'm quite proud of them.

No your not being a jerk. I appreciate the information, and agree completely. Firefly just likes royal better. Seen her on many threads there. just saying. lol

I keep saying I like both. I support Carnival a lot on the RCL threads too. I dont like attacks on either. I slightly, very slightly prefer RCL, but as you can see I book both lines.

So attacking me is your best answer to these changes?

I do sort of agree with people on the other thread, many of these changes seem geared to the younger generation. The new DJ with dueling music.. Im told is a rapper .. Id prefer some caribbean music.

I am always glad of new food choices .. Im just hoping they are a improvement. Iv had the mexican at the midnight mexican buffet and never again. so I admit to being worried when they tell me the new foods are burgers and mexican. I LOVE good Mexican.

I play a lot of computer games, so very familiar with EA games, so surprised they are adding it to the quiet sports bar.

Im a wait and see on most of these changes to be honest.

I do agree Carnival is doing this to compete with RCL's food choices on oasis perhaps, someone else said its to compete with RCL .. probably.

Thanks you for writing this thread because I didn't see any other on it and you did a great job listing the changes.

I'm not sure why some like to say negative things when your trying to help...but for my part....................THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks for putting it all together.

We are ready to book the Liberty, but I wish I booked it before this annoucment, I wonder if prices will go up .... we need about a month before we can finalize our vacations for next year!

Catrin

I was following the changes and the many threads on this earlier today and see that Conquest will get the changes in 2012 .. so for sure I will see the changes first hand. ..

I know for instance I was all excited about the new comedy clubs when they were announced .. when the reality was they took away some shows that were in the main lounge that I preferred .. so thats why I am a wait and see about the changes. I really loved the big production shows they used to have every night. thats the only change so far I have not liked.

I do like the new Mongolian BBQ, so that was a good change to me. fresh cooked food.

Hopefully these new changes will all be for the good...and good tasting new foods.

Bring it on .. conquest is booked twice, Nov 2012 and Feb 2013 .. so if its added in 2012, for sure I will get to enjoy the new changes.

PS I hope Conquest gets a serenity deck.

I was following the changes and the many threads on this earlier today and see that Conquest will get the changes in 2012 .. so for sure I will see the changes first hand. ..

I know for instance I was all excited about the new comedy clubs when they were announced .. when the reality was they took away some shows that were in the main lounge that I preferred .. so thats why I am a wait and see about the changes. I really loved the big production shows they used to have every night. thats the only change so far I have not liked.

I do like the new Mongolian BBQ, so that was a good change to me. fresh cooked food.

Hopefully these new changes will all be for the good...and good tasting new foods.

Bring it on .. conquest is booked twice, Nov 2012 and Feb 2013 .. so if its added in 2012, for sure I will get to enjoy the new changes.

PS I hope Conquest gets a serenity deck.

they are adding brand new shows Im hoping with these new shows they will have them more frequently like in the years past....I will find out in 47 days...LOL

Archived