New England Canada Port Questions

mk423

Thanks in advance for your help!

Which stops are tendered? Is that as crowded and time-consuming as I remember at some ports?

re: Halifax- we were going to do hop on hop off bus but someone wrote in a review- it is small enough to walk around on your own?

re: Newport-how much can you accomplish on foot?

Someone suggested the Boston trolley and it looks like a great deal- any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Which stops are tendered? Is that as crowded and time-consuming as I remember at some ports? Bar Harbor & Newport. Newport seemed like there was quite a wait (we are Elites so got to tender right away)

re: Halifax- we were going to do hop on hop off bus but someone wrote in a review- it is small enough to walk around on your own? Sea Front area is but if you want to see out lying areas it's too far to walk.

Newport-how much can you accomplish on foot? Plenty. However DH & I are walkers all told I think we walked about 5 or 6 miles that day.

Someone suggested the Boston trolley and it looks like a great deal- any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Boston Trolley was defintely the way to go as when we left the ship there were no taxis to be found.

Which stops are tendered? Is that as crowded and time-consuming as I remember at some ports?

re: Halifax- we were going to do hop on hop off bus but someone wrote in a review- it is small enough to walk around on your own?

The only ports we had to tender when we went was Bal Harbor and Newport. Bal Harbor was extremely crowded since their were 2 ships in port this day. But we walked the main street before our tour started. Beautiful part over looking the harbor. Newport was only us and was very easy.

Newport - You can do alot of walking around the port since there are shops but your best bet is to go the bus station and get a full day bus pass for about $6 all day. Then go sight seeing to the mansions.

Haifax - We did just that, walked around the town. I did this with 2 small children, where we walked up to the Citadel and around the rest of the town. When you get off the ship, if head toward the end of the pier there is a boardwalk with shops and other places to look at. To the left you would see the Citadel, pick a street to walk up to it. Nice history place to visit.

Boston - We walked around as well but we were there with friends who met us at Boston Commons area.

I wouldn't say Halifax is "small enough" to walk around, it's a fairly large city encompassing several square miles. However, there is more then enough within walking distance of the ship to keep you occupied and entertained for the day. There are museums, historical sites, shops and restaurants all along the waterfront and up the hill a block or two. You'll get a good taste of Halifax so you'll want to come back and see more.

Archived