Liscense/Birth Certificate Issue

jmjpro

Quote:

Originally Posted by near the beach viewpost.gif

Boarding pass name needs to match the name on the birth certificate. If not the same a paper trail needs to be available. Evan if you have a photo Id with a name that matches the boarding pass you need a paper trail from birth certificate. It could be court papers or a marriage license. But it is needed. We have had to do this. In the state of Florida a driver’s license or ID card will not be issued to you in whatever name you want. You have to have documentation with the name on it. The birth certificate is to prove American citizenship. The other information is to show how the name got changed from birth name.

Wrong. Check with the cruiseline. I have cruised 23 times (now with a passport). For many years I did not have a passport. Your PICTURE ID must match your cruise docs. That is it. Yes , you do have to provide your bc. But it is your PICTURE ID, and your cruise docs that must match. My maiden name is on my bc. My drivers license has my married name (now divorced). I always used my bc and dl... on which the names DID NOT MATCH. Call someone at Carnival if you dont believe a near milestone cruiser.

You must be lucky then. I am writing from our experiences with Carnival. I am not wrong. Your cruise documents and ID names have to match. If the birth certificate name does not match the ID you have to show why it does not match. Otherwise a person could use someone else birth certificate, if they were born on the same day.

Quote:

Boarding pass name needs to match the name on the birth certificate. If not the same a paper trail needs to be available. Evan if you have a photo Id with a name that matches the boarding pass you need a paper trail from birth certificate. It could be court papers or a marriage license. But it is needed. We have had to do this. In the state of Florida a driver’s license or ID card will not be issued to you in whatever name you want. You have to have documentation with the name on it. The birth certificate is to prove American citizenship. The other information is to show how the name got changed from birth name.

Wrong. Check with the cruiseline. I have cruised 23 times (now with a passport). For many years I did not have a passport. Your PICTURE ID must match your cruise docs. That is it. Yes , you do have to provide your bc. But it is your PICTURE ID, and your cruise docs that must match. My maiden name is on my bc. My drivers license has my married name (now divorced). I always used my bc and dl... on which the names DID NOT MATCH. Call someone at Carnival if you dont believe a near milestone cruiser.

You must be lucky then. I am writing from our experiences with Carnival. I am not wrong. Your cruise documents and ID names have to match. If the birth certificate name does not match the ID you have to show why it does not match. Otherwise a person could use someone else birth certificate, if they were born on the same day.

My experience and the experience of the poster you are quoting is not this. The poster you quoted has cruised 23 with BC and DL in different names but DL and Boarding Documents matching. I have cruised 8 times like that. Neither of us have been asked to show our ML to show why it does not match.

There is absolutely no written documentation saying that a ML is required in this circumstance. The only written documentation says you need a bridging document like a ML OR a valid DL. Please post where you can find anything written that is different. I am not doubting your experience. We all know there are some Carnival Reps who do not have a clue as to the rules of their own company or of the laws they are supposed to be making sure you comply with. I am doubting whether what was requested of you was required by law or by Carnival as it is not Written that it is anywhere, neither in the Carnival FAQ's nor their boarding documents/contract nor the WHTI documentation requirements. Please, please, please post the link if you believe that there is....if you can find one that is.

I discovered conflicting information about what documents are required.

The cruise line says ....http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call.

And CBP says ....http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

So CCL says consult CBP and CBP says consult the cruiseline.

Do either one know exactly what is required, LOL

I would simply use what would be required from the State Dept for getting a passport. Easy Peasy

Quote:

And have the same first and middle names..........LOL what are the odds.

The birth cert is to prove your citizenship and nothing more. That is why they require a gov. picture id to prove that you are really that person you say you are. The drivers license serves as a bridge for the name change.

And have the same first and middle names..........LOL what are the odds.

The birth cert is to prove your citizenship and nothing more. That is why they require a gov. picture id to prove that you are really that person you say you are. The drivers license serves as a bridge for the name change.

Yup, and 3 points in your 6 Points to Establishing Identity. ;)

Not a cruise, but my mother was required to show her marriage license when entering Jamaica approx 9 years ago when using DL/BS (back before passport was required when flying). I have no idea if it is REQUIRED, but if I didn't have a passport I would just take it. Better safe than sorry! :)

I discovered conflicting information about what documents are required.

The cruise line says ....http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call.

And CBP says ....http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

So CCL says consult CBP and CBP says consult the cruiseline.

Do either one know exactly what is required, LOL

I would simply use what would be required from the State Dept for getting a passport. Easy Peasy

It does seem like classic passing the buck. Actually both are right. CBP determines what is required to enter the US. CCL determines what is necessary to board the ship.

CBP is only concerned with establishing US citizenship in a manner that satisfies legal requirements.

CCL is not only concerned with CBP requirements but also with the entry requirements of various ports of call. At a guess CCL requirements may be a little stricter than CBP since they definitely do not want a situation in which passengers are denied debarkation, especially re-entering the US.

While your suggestion to use the State Department requirements for passports is logical, it isn't necessarily a good idea. CBP is part of Homeland Security and their requirements may be different. Discussing what is logical and makes sense with check-in staff or CBP agents is not, in my opinion, a useful expenditure of vacation time.

• 1 month later...

Just to follow-up on my origional post. After all of the drama, phone calls and emails. We booked DD's cruise in the name on her picture ID. At check in we presented her picture ID along with her Birth Certificate and Boarding Pass. Not a second look was given as to her last name/names. Actually I think they just looked at the first names...Jacqueline, Jacqueline, Jacqueline...all is good. Have a nice cruise!

All of the stress was for nothing.

So, what is the final outcome...your cruise needs to be booked in the same name as your picture ID, NOT your Birth Certificate!

Thanks everyone for your help.

This is exactly what I am experiencing. I have talked to two people. One told me you SHOULD be okay. Should??? What is carnival goingt o tell me if they deny my daughters boarding? Well, we THOUGHT you would be okay, Sorry.

The second is telling me that it does not mater what your picture ID says, it needs to match your Birth Certificate. Then why do I need her Drivers License/photo ID? Anyone can travel with a certified Birth Certificate claiming that it is them.

I am so confused and cant find the right answer.

People should call Immigration; those are the people that should know.

The government is the one that doesn't know what is required. They have such convoluted laws that no one really knows what's going on.

The government should just say a passport is required for any travel outside of the USA.

It is not the responsibility of the airlines or cruise lines to determine policy.

There are immigration agents available at ports and airline terminals that will let you know if you docs are good or not.

Archived