Ordering wine at dinner

How do you go about ordering a bottle of wine for yourself and your guests without having to share with the whole table? I've been lucky to usually have a table for two or the other tablemates didn't show up, however on one cruise I was with my sister and we were put at a table for six and when we went to order wine at dinner they brought out glasses for everyone. I was actually pretty upset because I paid for the wine (which was about $50) and only got a half glass of it (I stuck to ordering by the glass after that - not the most economical choice but at least I got what I paid for). I don't want to be rude but I just met you folks, I don't necessarily want to share the wine I have chosen to purchase with anyone other than my guest. I will be on the AOS in August with my boyfriend and we usually have a bottle of wine at dinner but if we don't finish it we like to save it for the next night. Does anyone have any tactful suggestions?

When you order, just ask the waiter for only 2 glasses. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone, if the waiter only brings the 2 glasses, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have fun.

Tracey

I think it was pretty rude of the waiter to assume that you wanted to share. If there was any doubt in his(or her) mind, they should have asked you how many glasses you wanted.

Normally, my waiter has asked how many glasses we want, but if they didn't, now that I have heard what happened to you, I would be sure to make that clear.

I'm very surprised that the sommelier (perhaps that is too strong of a description based on the overall quality of RCI wines) didn't ask you how many. On the past cruises I have been on, they have always asked. If they don't, make sure you tell them.

And shame on your tablemates for not speaking up - or at least offering to buy the next night's bottle.

Jen, it's awful that you had to get upset like that. Your waiter is completely at fault. This sort of thing (as would seem obvious) happens all the time - people at a large table in the dining room don't know each other, are just meeting, are merely dining companions thrown together by the cruise line dining room management. It should be AUTOMATIC for the waiter to have asked you how many were drinking, or how many needed glasses. For him to assume that you were sharing one bottle with the entire table is NOT what they are trained and supposed to do.

ALL OF WHICH MEANS that you were NOT at fault, you had EVERY RIGHT to be dismayed. You can hope that it won't happen again, that you won't get such an ill-trained waiter, but just be ready for it. Order your bottle saying, "we'd like a bottle of this Chateau Lafitte '57, with two glasses, please."

No waiter should EVER assume that you are buying for the whole table, unless YOU specifically say so.

:) :) :)

I would try it again as it may have been just a single incident. My experience is that the wine glasses are already on the table. I´m not a big wine drinker. I´m usually seated at a large table and others at the table ordered wine before. The waiter never offered the wine to anybody else than the party that ordered it unless it was offered to the rest of the table from the one who bought the wine.

When cruising with my Mom she likes to have a glass of wine with dinner and we ordered it by the bottle too. They keep the bottle for several nights as she don´t drink more than a single glass each dinner. The waiter offered wine to me on the first night too, but never to anybody else at the table. After my refuse the first night they usually don´t ask any other night again.

Don´t hesitate to refuse to share your wine at the table. I don´t think people would be offended.

I only once experienced that a botttle was shared and it was only towards the end of the cruise and because the bottle they shared was given to them with regards of the Captain. It was a nice touch they shared it with the rest of us, however the wine they paid for was not shared and that was absolutely fine.

To be fair to Royal Caribbean, this offense took place on Carnival (I posted here because I will b e going on the AOS). It was the first night and it was all young (20's) females at the table so that might explain why they thought we knew each other (and to be perfectly honest I don't remember who brought out the glasses but I agree they were at fault - I just wanted to make sure that if it happened again you guys wouldn't be offended if we said oh no, two glasses are just fine...)

No one has the right to be offended, so don't be afraid to speak up if it were to happen again Jen. And if someone is obnoxious enough to comment about you not sharing, politely explain that when they buy the first bottle, you might buy the second. As nliedel said, it's shame. And I'm surprised none of your tablemate even asked you if you intended it to be shared.

We have been at tables where we would buy a bottle one night and share it with our table mates and then one of the other couples brought a bottle the next night and so on until everyone contributed. If the people at your table drank your wine and then didn't reciprocate then they were not very nice or very courteous.

That was one thing was nice about PC dining on Princess was that they always only brought two glasses unless told otherwise since they figured you probably didn't know the other people you were sitting with and wouldn't want them drinking your wine.

Too bad about what happened to you but as mentioned above just make sure the waiter understands you only need two glasses.

Have a great next cruise.

Just a note, friends of ours sailed last Sept on Mariner and another couple(with much more $) decided to join them in chops one evening and ordered a $250.00 bottle on wine. Needless to say, after that was finished the man decided to order another and politley say, Hey Paul why don't you get this one! So in short be very, very careful who you share wine with it may cost you more than you expect!

Thanks. The people I was at a table with were all young (I was the oldest at 25 at the time) and were all newbies (we were three groups of two and they didn't even understand the whole dinner at a certain time thing - I think it was their first vacation without their parents!)...yes I can say they were rude for not offering to buy another bottle but I am pretty sure they just didn't realize I wasn't buying for the whole table and after that first awkward dinner we became fast cruisemates, sitting out by the pool together, hanging out together, we even did two excursions together. I think this next time, if there are no glasses on the table already, I will order the wine and say two glasses please.

I would NEVER stand for someone asking me to pony up $250 smackers for a bottle of wine.. My reply? "I would love to get it but that bottle is out of my price range, let's order ____________ which I think is a great bottle of wine for the price" and do just that. He has a problem with it he can bite me.. No one should ever feel forced to buy that expensive a bottle of wine.

Oh it helps to research the wines available on board before you go. RCI, to my knowlege, does not have a $250.00 bottle of wine.. I just look into them and go form there. Althought what they have is NOT great.

Oh it helps to research the wines available on board before you go. RCI, to my knowlege, does not have a $250.00 bottle of wine.. I just look into them and go form there. Althought what they have is NOT great.

Sorry I should have clarified better, Dom Periogn (is that correct spelling). So I think that's champagne. Give or take a few bucks it was outrageous. Still our friends did not realize exactly how much $ it would cost till it was to late. Where can I find a wine list and price's, just to check it out.

Sorry I should have clarified better' date=' Dom Periogn (is that correct spelling). So I think that's champagne. Give or take a few bucks it was outrageous. Still our friends did not realize exactly how much $ it would cost till it was to late. Where can I find a wine list and price's, just to check it out.[/quote']

I am not sure if there is a direct link, but I have perused the wine list before by going to rccl.com and using their search engine to find their wine lists.

• 1 year later...

Ah, so glad to find someone else with "children". Are they still teens? What age? I've got an 8 year-old coming with us. We are the same age as you, in fact my birthday is two weeks after yours! Do your teens have any interest in hanging out with younger kids?

p.s. If anyone is worried, my son is VERY well behaved and quiet. It's his 4th cruise and he is widely traveled.

Karen

Ah, so glad to find someone else with "children". Are they still teens? What age? I've got an 8 year-old coming with us. We are the same age as you, in fact my birthday is two weeks after yours! Do your teens have any interest in hanging out with younger kids?

p.s. If anyone is worried, my son is VERY well behaved and quiet. It's his 4th cruise and he is widely traveled.

Karen

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Archived