Sleep Questions for Toddlers on RCCL

JMB22

My DS will be 19 months when we cruise on the RCCL Freedom of the Seas.

Has anyone used the PNPs on this ship recently? Are they clean? Are they the standard size or the "travel lite" (smaller) size?

If he is too tall for the PNP (or just refuses to sleep that low to the ground like he always has), I was thinking about turning the sleeper sofa against the wall so he can sleep on that without rolling off. I have seen this mentioned on CC a few times. However, any ideas how I can block the sides (where your arms would rest)? I worry he will wake up and fall out the side while looking around.

My DS only sleeps in his crib at home, so this will be an adventure. ;)

I have seen inflatable bed rails on One Step Ahead that we're going to try out on our next cruise.

I have no idea how we're going to keep my crib-sleeping kiddo in bed on the cruise, though. If you come up with any ideas for that, let me know. :p

I have never sailed on rccl with the kids but on carnival they had a porta crib. Higher off ground. Similar mattress and bars on the side. My daughter used one when she was 19'months and my 18 month old son will be using one in 2 weeks. They are so tired at bedtime that I think they would sleep in a box. Is it an option to lay with them on the bed until they fell asleep and then move them.

My issue this year is what to do with a 3 year old who is too big for a crib but too small for an upper.

JMB22 - we sailed last Sept on Oasis, and our daughter was 20 months old - she is 99th percentile for height, but only 60th for weight - so she is tall but not wide. :-) We used the PNP and she did okay at times - it was a little small for her, even though the one we had on Oasis seemed standard sized (or perhaps just slightly smaller). It seemed clean, although we still used Clorox wipes to wipe it down and we brought our own pack n play crib sheets. Probably 4 of 7 nights, she woke up halfway through the night and wanted out of it.

We used the love seat in our room on the Liberty. The arms were tall enough that he never fell out or anything. Ours was in a bit of a corner as well so one arm was butted up against the wall as well and so we just put his head at that end. Our son sleeps all over the place but it's not really wide enough for him to get all turned around either.

We sailed Enchantment of the Seas when our son was 19 months old. The PnP provided was full size and clean. We brought our own sheets. He slept in it just fine, but he was used to sleeping in one.

Now that he is bigger we have purchased a PeaPod Plus tent which is LOVES. We introduced it to him as his "sleeping tent" and so he treats it as exactly that, not a play tent. We do safety pin the zipper closed from the outside to keep him from escaping. It folds easily and weighs almost nothing. If you go this route you won't have to worry about your kid falling since it sits on the floor. I do recommend introducing it before you cruise. Happy sailing!

Archived