Motel 6 Galveston

melika091900

Yes, it is OK. Nothing around it though, so if you don't have a car you'll have to take a taxi to any restaurant. I see you are flying into Houston Hobby. You might also check on hotels around Hobby and then go to Galveston and the ship on Sunday morning -- leave around 10:30 and get to the ship around 11:15. The Motel-6 near Hobby is nicer than the one in Galveston (much larger rooms), but again there is not much around it for restaurants -- not even fast food places as I recall.

So I'd probably book a hotel near Houston Hobby that has free airport shuttle service and a restaurant -- maybe even one with a free breakfast.

Then take a taxi to the ship (probably the cheapest way to get there for 3 people), although you can try pricing shuttles buses from Hobby.

Yes, it is OK. Nothing around it though, so if you don't have a car you'll have to take a taxi to any restaurant. I see you are flying into Houston Hobby. You might also check on hotels around Hobby and then go to Galveston and the ship on Sunday morning -- leave around 10:30 and get to the ship around 11:15. The Motel-6 near Hobby is nicer than the one in Galveston (much larger rooms), but again there is not much around it for restaurants -- not even fast food places as I recall.

So I'd probably book a hotel near Houston Hobby that has free airport shuttle service and a restaurant -- maybe even one with a free breakfast.

Then take a taxi to the ship (probably the cheapest way to get there for 3 people), although you can try pricing shuttles buses from Hobby.

how much do you think a taxi is to the pier from hobby??

i priced shuttles. looks like about 100$ for 3 of us 1 way

Not sure on cost. You can call to get an estimate from Yellow Cab. Probably more than $100 each way.

Here is more info on ground transfers --> http://www.galvestoncruises.com/MenuItems.aspx?s=Transportation

Now that I think about it, cheapest probably would be to go back to Hobby and take a shared ride.

P.S. Or switch to the Voyager of the Seas from New Orleans -- but it departs on Saturday instead of Sunday.

It is much easier to get from the airport to the ship from there.

You know April 8 is Easter, right?

I don't know about the Baymont Inn, but it is probably fine. It is just one night anyway. Hmmmm...Reviews are mixed.http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56003-d99013-Reviews-Baymont_Inn_Houston_Hobby_Airport-Houston_Texas.html

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=640&q=baymont%20inn%20houston%20hobby%20airport&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1027l6990l0l10462l22l20l1l7l7l0l1095l3322l2.3.5.1.7-1l12l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Looks like you are walking distance to Denny's Restaurant.

Back to ground transportation, I found Supershuttle for you is $200 total (probably plus tip). That's about as good as it gets. It would be the "Execucar Sedan". I think they would pick you up a the hotel before the cruise, and take you to the airport after the cruise. It would not be shared -- you would charter it. You might call Supershuttle to see how much a shared shuttle is from Hobby, if they even have one.

anyone ever stay at motel 6 galveston ? i show it about 3 miles from the pier...

My advice: keep looking (have you checked Gaido's Seaside Inn?). I stayed there last November. Here's a link to my November 28 review on Trip Adviser:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55879-d244356-r88467208-Motel_6_Galveston-Galveston_Galveston_Island_Texas.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at the Motel 6 twice prior to cruises. They udated the rooms a couple of years ago, but remember you get what you pay for. It is really easy to get to the port from there, but as someone mentioned earlier, it is not near any quality restaurants.

I have stayed at the Motel 6 twice prior to cruises. They udated the rooms a couple of years ago, but remember you get what you pay for. It is really easy to get to the port from there, but as someone mentioned earlier, it is not near any quality restaurants.

across highwway there is diner!

maybe a wings next door?

Im gone to bring Mariner in to Galveston!

I just want

to live

happily

ever after,

every

now

and

then. :D

we sail easter sunday 4/8/2012 but we fly in the day before...

If you can't find something on the island or at the airport in a price range you like you might want to look at some of the hotels along I-45 between the airport and the island. Since you are paying a taxi fare to Galveston anyway it probably wouldn't be much more to split it up and have a 15 or 20 minute ride to the cruise terminal in the morning.

We are cruising on Conquest November 6th and there is an event on the island that weekend, so hotels are very expensive. I booked our group in a Days Inn in Dickenson, TX, 15 or 20 minutes before you get to Galveston at about $50 per room. It looks way better than that old Motel 6, and there is a (supposedly good) seafood restaurant right across the street.

I would book something that looks like it will work for you now, but so that it can be cancelled without penalty if you find something better between now and then. You have lots of time to shop!

Archived