European formal wear

You can go either way. Because the port stops are long I don't think people wanted to dress as much. On our NOS cruise we saw more people dressed less formally than us than more. We dressed what I consider to be semi-formal. I only saw one tux and one girl with what I consider an evening gown. I noticed that those who spent the extra time to dress up were the ones taking photos. We did that but saved our favorite outfits for the 2nd formal nt because the first one was the night of the Messina stop and we had to all get ready in just a few minutes. I ended up at dinner with wet hair.

I think you are fine doing whatever you like. For our next Med cruise I am only going to take one semi-formal and then maybe a decent sleeveless or sundress for the other. And yes, overall, the dress was less formal than our Caribbean cruise last year.

I'll be leaving on Nav's 7 night eastern med cruise this Sunday. I plan on doing a live post updating throughout the week.

My girlfriend I will be dressing in formal wear for at least one of the formal nights, but mostly because we want pictures.

I'll be sure to update you on your question. :-)

:) Please dress the way that you want and feel comfortable. However, that being said, last November on our 12 day Brilliance Med cruise there were lots of people in gowns and Tuxs, looking great, and many more in regular suits, etc, because lets be realistic, packing these days with airline restrictions can be difficult for those of us from North America going to Europe for 3 or more weeks. With over 2,200 passengers you will see all types of dress on Formal nights, including those in jeans and shorts who will eat in the buffet because they do not wish to dress up.

On these large ships, there is somewhere for everyone to dine according to their wishes.............but please do not play the ignorant hillbilly part by showing up in the main dining room or specialty restaurant in jeans, track pants, shorts, tank tops, or your favourite Nascar hat.

Cheers and happy sailing to all.

Hi,

We were on the Mariner this September on Western Med cruise. I paid particular attention to the dress on the formal night due to posts I had read before the cruise.

I would say the majority of the male diners at our 7.30pm dining time had at least a suit but there was also shirts and ties and even a few chino'e and polo tops (Although these were in the minority). The women were nicely dressed from anything from long gowns to cocktail frocks but I also saw ladies in nice day dresses or pants. Everyone looked smart and some were stunning.

For me the moral of the story was dress in what you will feel comfortable in. The sky didn't fall in and it seemed to me no one was really caring what anyone else had on and everyone was enjoying themselves.

My husband was glad he packed his suit and I wore a sparkly black and silver top with wides after 5 pants we were comfortable and I felt adequately dressed but in saying that we went back to our cabin after dinner and changed into other clothes to go for a drink.

Hope this helps

:)

On these large ships, there is somewhere for everyone to dine according to their wishes.............but please do not play the ignorant hillbilly part by showing up in the main dining room or specialty restaurant in jeans, track pants, shorts, tank tops, or your favourite Nascar hat.

Cheers and happy sailing to all.

I assure you I don't play the ignorant hillbilly. I have been on many, many cruises but none in Europe. I have done land trips to Europe. I would not be asking if I had chosen NOT to get dressed. I asked so I could dress appropriately. I usually bring dress slacks and dressy tops for formal nights.

Thanks to those who provided the information I needed.

Archived